A US Phenomena?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I was watching a movie today and saw, yet again, a classic image we see in films out of the US.... an adult sitting in their childhood room in their parents' home. It's a constant thing in films from the US, but I suspect it's done merely for dramatic purposes. People don't REALLY leave their kids' rooms intact when they move out do they? I've never seen a single Canadian friend do this, and I can't fathom my American friends would have this luxury either. But, I figured it was worth asking since we do have some Americans on board here.

Do any of you know people whose families have done this?

Dessolution

Apr 30, 2010
The second I left to college, my room was converted to something else entirely. When I came back home a year later, I had to sleep in the living room for a week cause my brother was using it lol I was pissed.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
*hand raised with a sheepish look on face*
Till we brought in MIL, both daughters' rooms were left as they left them. One has porcelain dolls all over (minus the special favorites) and the other has teddy bears (minus the special favorites). Visitors like it. The Kids like it.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
The second I left to college, my room was converted to something else entirely. When I came back home a year later, I had to sleep in the living room for a week cause my brother was using it lol I was pissed.
Whips, chains, manacles, etc. included?

*giggles*

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Karrie - some day I hope you discover the real U.S. not the one you imagine in your head or how movieland presents it to be.

Concerning your post, my answer is no.

My mother's family in Kent kept all their childhood bedrooms (5 of them) exactly as they were until the children left home. Part of their home were buried in bomb debris during WWII but the house was restored and the bedrooms kept or replicated. The family album has pictures of the rooms after being rebuilt in the late 40's or 1950's. It was common in Kent for people to have their childhood rooms remain for years after they had left home. In the U.K.

I never had a childhood "room" as I had six sisters and one brother. The three rooms the sisters shared were too crowded to personalize other than each of us had one picture over the head of the bed and assigned drawers in the dressers. Nothing personal was left out or it would disappear. There was one desk per
room for homework.

My brother was blessed with a room of his own until he finally left home and the few of us who were still at home had to draw for it. The sister who won - had to spend a month cleaning and airing it out and removing the hanging aircraft..... ha on her.

When the last girl left home (me) they sold the large home and found one with only three bedrooms. They were decorated for adult family visitors. In Canada.

I have never seen any childhood bedrooms of my friends when visiting their parents' homes - but some of the families have kept pictures to show how they were decorated and for the grown up children to remember. The most often I have seen childhood things in the U.S. are pictures of my friends visiting Santa or having a birthday party - of which film was taken. In the U.S.

What is born in Hollywood set decorating isn't necessarily the habitat of real people.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Karrie - some day I hope you discover the real U.S. not the one you imagine in your head or how movieland presents it to be.

What is born in Hollywood set decorating isn't necessarily the habitat of real people.

As I said, this is exactly what I assumed, and why I asked. I can't just up and zip off to the US and root through people's homes. lol.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Concerning your post, my answer is no.

My mother's family in Kent kept all their childhood bedrooms (5 of them) exactly as they were until the children left home. Part of their home were buried in bomb debris during WWII but the house was restored and the bedrooms kept or replicated. The family album has pictures of the rooms after being rebuilt in the late 40's or 1950's. It was common in Kent for people to have their childhood rooms remain for years after they had left home. In the U.K.

I never had a childhood "room" as I had six sisters and one brother. The three rooms the sisters shared were too crowded to personalize other than each of us had one picture over the head of the bed and assigned drawers in the dressers. Nothing personal was left out or it would disappear. There was one desk per
room for homework.

My brother was blessed with a room of his own until he finally left home and the few of us who were still at home had to draw for it. The sister who won - had to spend a month cleaning and airing it out and removing the hanging aircraft..... ha on her.

When the last girl left home (me) they sold the large home and found one with only three bedrooms. They were decorated for adult family visitors. In Canada.

I have never seen any childhood bedrooms of my friends when visiting their parents' homes - but some of the families have kept pictures to show how they were decorated and for the grown up children to remember. The most often I have seen childhood things in the U.S. are pictures of my friends visiting Santa or having a birthday party - of which film was taken. In the U.S.

Familiar feel to your post, their were four siblings for me. Childrens quarters were functional. Holly-Wood is a poor US ambassador.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
*hand raised with a sheepish look on face*
Till we brought in MIL, both daughters' rooms were left as they left them. One has porcelain dolls all over (minus the special favorites) and the other has teddy bears (minus the special favorites). Visitors like it. The Kids like it.

well, I tend to view it as a luxury, not as something you should be sheepish about, lol. Most people just don't have the room from what I can tell. And me, I took all my stuff with me... my porcelain dolls now grace my daughter's room. Only a handful of toys got left behind at my parents' from all three of us children, and these now grace a 'nursery' of sorts that was set up for the grandchildren.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
What room? I left home to attend the U of A, Edmonton. Within a year my family had moved to New Brunswick.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
DarkBeaver

I loved being part of a huge family - except being the youngest had its moments - if something "new" my mother had created in the kitchen was up for testing I
was the appointed one (gag).... the elder sisters were fun but I was happy to see
them leaving home to get married until they started bringing kids home for me
to baby sit.

I don't know how large families could survive these days with things as expensive
as they are - like food.

In your family did boys have chores too? My brother got off so easy compared with us - he'd mow the lawn on Saturday and disappear for most of the weekend. Guys have it sooooooo great.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
What room? I left home to attend the U of A, Edmonton. Within a year my family had moved to New Brunswick.

LOL Bar - I hope they gave you the new address ...

We were really happy when my parents were finally able to downsize after keeping their large home for us growing up.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I took everything when I left home. The room was virtually empty and I threw out what I wasn't taking. My mother was very depressed. :lol: