In honour of Leno's ****ty Show back on air...

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I liked his headline feature, but they didn't have that last night. I like Leno better than both Letterman and O'Brian, but you are right, even Leno is not that funny.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Carson was consistently funny. Leno is funny occasionally. I liked Leno's "Jaywalking" and "Headlines". The only time I ever actually laughed myself sore over a Leno show was when Billy Crystal and Robin Williams were on together. Leno might as well not even had been there. lol

I agree with Risus, Letterman and O'Brian just aren't funny.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Craig Ferguson has more wit in his little finger than Leno, Letterman, and O'Brien combined. Given that, I still watch Leno, but prefer it taped so I can skip through some of his bits.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Well, the first night's show wasn't that great, but tonight he redeemed himself. Not only did he feature the "Headlines" segment, but he had Sarah Palin as a guest. And she did a stand-up comedy routine along with the standard interview. Now I'm hooked. (I'm an acolyte of Palin, for those who don't already know)

largoembargo

Feb 16, 2010
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Well, the first night's show wasn't that great, but tonight he redeemed himself. Not only did he feature the "Headlines" segment, but he had Sarah Palin as a guest. And she did a stand-up comedy routine along with the standard interview. Now I'm hooked. (I'm an acolyte of Palin, for those who don't already know)

I watched last night; just to remind myself why I don't like the show.

The Palin stuff was terrible; he didn't ask her a single question that anyone at home wanted to know.
That's generally the problem; he's too safe.
Letterman would have GRILLED her.

the palin interview was just as boring/scripted as leno and Palin on Oprah

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Craig Ferguson has more wit in his little finger than Leno, Letterman, and O'Brien combined. Given that, I still watch Leno, but prefer it taped so I can skip through some of his bits.
Craig Ferguson is good, but he does get repetitious, boring and somewhat silly at times.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I watched last night; just to remind myself why I don't like the show.

The Palin stuff was terrible; he didn't ask her a single question that anyone at home wanted to know.
That's generally the problem; he's too safe.
Letterman would have GRILLED her.

the palin interview was just as boring/scripted as leno and Palin on Oprah

Letterman would have ended up putting his foot in his own mouth. and his silly sidekick shaver would have giggled through the entire thing.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Headlines never left. And I skipped the Shaun White interview - nothing personal - I just find interviews with athletes incredibly boring and I've seen White interviewed at the Olympics - he had very little to say then and I expect he had little to say on Leno.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I think there is still an unfilled vacuum left by Carson. Johnny had something that nobody, including Leno has.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Agreed Juan

I thought it was just me thinking something is always 'missing' because I can't stay up late and watch that show any more and haven't seen enough of Leno as I used
to with Carson....

I think Carson had more class and that wide-eyed stare at the audience when either he or his his guest made a joke ...has never been replicated by any star.... he was a pure comedian and got the best out of every guest.....and his own
personal commentary on things was superb.

Leno is a bit obvious in his humor but he's a nice guy .... if I get bored I realize I am better getting sleep..... so maybe he's doing me a favor!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Johnny Carson used to come on at 11:00pm and the show would run for over 90 minutes. Back in the days when we had a TV guide I used to look and see who Carson had on and watch maybe three times during the week.

Steve Allen did the first Tonight Show and he passed it on to Jack Parr who changed it to the Jack Parr show and then it went to Carson as the Tonight show again. My point is that the transition to these different hosts was almost seamless. Leno doesn't fit the mold.