One from My School Days

Hoof Hearted
Back in grade 11, we had a wacky English teacher.

She came in one day incensed that Sting had written the grammatically incorrect lyric, "If you love someone, set them free". She stated the line should have read..."set him or her free."

I'm sure you've all heard the song I'm referring to. Sting was also an English teacher before hitting it big with The Police...or so I've heard.

So I raised my hand and said, "You never sacrifice emotion for grammar in a piece of music. What if the Beatles had written She loves you...yes...yes...yes...instead of yeah...yeah...yeah?"

The whole class actually applauded me after I finished speaking. The teacher just glared at me and gave me low marks on everything the rest of the semester.

Do you have any odd or noteworthy memories from High School? Lousy teachers or great teachers?

Danbones
Had the same problem with a religion teacher - also the principle of that catholic high school.
She couldn't win a debate, and so wanted to cost me my gr.12 for that ( a half credit course).
(I was elected by the class to represent them in her class debates.)

...till someone found out she did not have a teacher's cert.

Johnnny
+1
#3  Top Rated Post
This is one of the few things i regret doing in life.

Our grade 11 history class we got a new teacher, she was too nice and passive. She would try and teach, we would throw oranges apples at the board, steal chalk and throw it out the window. We had midnight madness when whoever went to the bathroom would shut the lights and we would brawl and flip desks. We would kick the garbage can over after she picked up the mess. We stole a phone, overhead projector and type writer and threw it out the window. One time my buddy took a basketball and bounced into the roofs collapsing tiles. I got my buddy drunk in class one day and he got suspended for hitting on the teacher. Oh and on top of that we would ignore her completly when we werent doing all that other stuff.

If theres a hell im going there for being a ringleader in that disaster of a history class.

Hoof Hearted
+1
We had a substitute teacher in grade 8 one year...

So the class clown was being really lippy. The teacher (at her wits end) told him to go to the Principal's Office...and then added, "And anyone else who would like to join him, feel free."

So the whole class started packing up their books, and 35 of us marched up to the Office! lol!

The teacher was flabbergasted and started yelling for everyone to come back! So we all crammed into the Main Office...overflowing into the hallway...when our Principal comes out demanding to know WTF is going on!?

We told him, and he blew a gasket and chased all of us back to the classroom! lol! Oh, man...we were all laughing so hard! What a funny memory!

Ludlow
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoof HeartedView Post

Back in grade 11, we had a wacky English teacher.

She came in one day incensed that Sting had written the grammatically incorrect lyric, "If you love someone, set them free". She stated the line should have read..."set him or her free."

I'm sure you've all heard the song I'm referring to. Sting was also an English teacher before hitting it big with The Police...or so I've heard.

So I raised my hand and said, "You never sacrifice emotion for grammar in a piece of music. What if the Beatles had written She loves you...yes...yes...yes...instead of yeah...yeah...yeah?"

The whole class actually applauded me after I finished speaking. The teacher just glared at me and gave me low marks on everything the rest of the semester.

Do you have any odd or noteworthy memories from High School? Lousy teachers or great teachers?

I think we had a history teacher who use to leave during class, go to the bathroom and choke his chicken.

Tecumsehsbones
Best part of high school is not going.

Blackleaf
Our RE teacher at Little Lever Secondary School was called Mr Ritchie. He was soft and many of us used to mess around in class because we were never scared of him. We used to say that his name is "Myballsare Ritchie."

DaSleeper
Believe it or not, some Northern Ontario communities had one room schoolhouses on the outskirts of towns, until the middle 50's..
Living on a farm five miles out of Kapuskasing We weren't bussed to school in town until the early middle 50's and my grade five.
We still had one of them old school bell that the teacher rang by hand to call all us farmers' kids after recess..

One early june morning I brought a cute little baby garter snake from the manure pile in my pocket.
I don't have to go in details about what happened.....
Needless to say we had an extra long recess

Johnnny
I remember this one time in grade 8 i brought a Gatorade bottle filled with a mix of Gin, whiskey, rum, vodka and tequila. I think we called it swig. I dared two kids to split it and chug it... LOL, the one guy passed out in the yard outside and the other puked his guts out in the hallway before class. And that was before i sold my Ritalin

Cannuck
When I was in grade 11, some tard ran for school Prez. His campaign slogan was "Make School Great Again". Us cool kids mocked him and his silly supporters mercilessly.

Hoof Hearted
+1
...and Cannuck dutifully groomed his younger brother for High School.

He taught him how to tuck properly while being stuffed into a locker.

Johnnny
I remember another time we had this lunch monitor that was a complete asshole. So the one day a bunch of us stand around a mud bubble pretending something is going on. He comes barreling through breaking up the crown, threatening suspensions, you know the whole. So we pushed him into the mud bubble and his foot was stuck and we all laughed at him.

He was actually nicer after...

White_Unifier
In catechism class in separate school, I liked to mess with my catechism teacher. One day, the teacher was teaching about Jesus' assent into heaven, so I decided all innocent like to ask her about his velocity, rate of ascent, trajectory, etc. so that we can figure out where he ended up.

The teacher really didn't like that.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

This is one of the few things i regret doing in life.

Our grade 11 history class we got a new teacher, she was too nice and passive. She would try and teach, we would throw oranges apples at the board, steal chalk and throw it out the window. We had midnight madness when whoever went to the bathroom would shut the lights and we would brawl and flip desks. We would kick the garbage can over after she picked up the mess. We stole a phone, overhead projector and type writer and threw it out the window. One time my buddy took a basketball and bounced into the roofs collapsing tiles. I got my buddy drunk in class one day and he got suspended for hitting on the teacher. Oh and on top of that we would ignore her completly when we werent doing all that other stuff.

If theres a hell im going there for being a ringleader in that disaster of a history class.

My God, you're an a55hole. Do you stll treat people like sh1t, like that?

The answer is probably "yes" ... you're proud of it too, by the looks of it.

Johnnny
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

My God, you're an a55hole. Do you stll treat people like sh1t, like that?

The answer is probably "yes" ... you're proud of it too, by the looks of it.

I did say i regretted it

no new posts