The Vinyl Cafe's Stuart MacLean Dead at 68


Mowich
+1
#1
"The Vinyl Cafe" radio show, which featured a mix of stories, essays and musical performances, was spun into bestselling books and became a touring production in 2008. The show's stories centred on Dave, the owner of a second-hand record store, and also featured Dave's wife, Morley, their two children, Sam and Stephanie, and various friends and neighbours."

I was a devotee of The Vinyl Cafe - could hardly wait to see what Dave had got up to and how Morley was dealing with it. Stuart McLean had a gift for story-telling. Fare Thee Well, Stuart.
 
Durry
+1 / -1
#2
I find it difficult to understand how he may have positively affected my life. Since he made most of his living working for CBC, using my tax money, I can't say that I would admire his accomplishments. I think he is overrated.
 
petros
+3
#3  Top Rated Post
A huge loss for Canadians.
Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

I find it difficult to understand how he may have positively affected my life. Since he made most of his living working for CBC, using my tax money, I can't say that I would admire his accomplishments. I think he is overrated.

Because you have no f-cking clue who he is.
 
Scooby
+3
#4
Personally, I am quite saddened to hear of his passing. He was a wonderful storyteller and often inspired me with a sense of pride of " being Canadian " far more than any of our other cultural offerings. I have laughed and cried too many times to count.

He will be greatly missed and fondly remembered...
 
Curious Cdn
+2
#5
He was one of my Camp Councellors at Camp Kanawana in St.Sauveur, Que. when I was very, very young. I have been quite entertained by him, over the years.

I will miss him even if the bean counters above think that he took something from them.

I would say that the Vinyl Cafe was inspired by the Prairie Home Companion but rather than it being a blatant ripoff, it was a Canadian take on the format.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+3
#6
A sad loss. RIP.
 
Remington1
+3
#7
He was a gifted man.
 
Mowich
+1
#8
Canada has been gifted with some memorable voices over the years each of them unique and unforgettable. Stuart's is just the latest one to go silent. Some of my favorites were Peter Gzowski, Harvey Kirck, and Don Harron. We still have Jay Ingram though I wish he hadn't jumped to TV.
 
Cannuck
#9
Too bad. I can't eat turkey without thinking of Dave. Been a fan of the show for years
 
JLM
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

I find it difficult to understand how he may have positively affected my life. Since he made most of his living working for CBC, using my tax money, I can't say that I would admire his accomplishments. I think he is overrated.


"Sometimes it's better to remain silent and appear a fool........................................."

Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

"The Vinyl Cafe" radio show, which featured a mix of stories, essays and musical performances, was spun into bestselling books and became a touring production in 2008. The show's stories centred on Dave, the owner of a second-hand record store, and also featured Dave's wife, Morley, their two children, Sam and Stephanie, and various friends and neighbours."

I was a devotee of The Vinyl Cafe - could hardly wait to see what Dave had got up to and how Morley was dealing with it. Stuart McLean had a gift for story-telling. Fare Thee Well, Stuart.


And then there was that troublesome neighbour, Mrs. ????????????????, whose name has slipped my mind that had a knack of showing up at the worst possible moment.

R.I.P. Stuart..........................gone but not forgotten!
 
damngrumpy
+2
#11
Every time I heard the show I got a laugh or found room for a smile
Yes he will be missed and he did impact the lives of many he brought
a positive attitude. Why is it that even at someone's death some folks
can't let go of their hate for the CBC? If you missed this man, you
missed a moment you will never get back.and a moment that made you
smile has real value RIP
 
Ludlow
+1
#12
Sad when any decent person dies especially a comedian.
 
Curious Cdn
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

Sad when any decent person dies especially a comedian.

His comedy was very gentle. Think of a Canadian Garrison Keillor...
 
JLM
+1 / -1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

Every time I heard the show I got a laugh or found room for a smile
Yes he will be missed and he did impact the lives of many he brought
a positive attitude. Why is it that even at someone's death some folks
can't let go of their hate for the CBC? If you missed this man, you
missed a moment you will never get back.and a moment that made you
smile has real value RIP


We are much better off with C.B.C. than we would be without it!

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

"Sometimes it's better to remain silent and appear a fool........................................."




And then there was that troublesome neighbour, Mrs. ????????????????, whose name has slipped my mind that had a knack of showing up at the worst possible moment.

R.I.P. Stuart..........................gone but not forgotten!


The name I was trying to think of was Mrs. Turlington.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Too bad. I can't eat turkey without thinking of Dave. Been a fan of the show for years

A classic. Have that on one of the Vinyl Café CDs.
 
Cannuck
#16
Ditto
 
taxslave
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

A huge loss for Canadians.Because you have no f-cking clue who he is.

That's a fact. Never heard of him before. Must be from back east somewhere.
 
Cannuck
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

That's a fact. Never heard of him before. Must be from back east somewhere.

I'm not surprised you would have never heard of an award winning author. I'm also not surprised you would be so willing to come to this thread and acknowledge your ignorance
 
TenPenny
+2
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

I find it difficult to understand how he may have positively affected my life. Since he made most of his living working for CBC, using my tax money, I can't say that I would admire his accomplishments. I think he is overrated.



I find it difficult to understand how you can be such a fuking arsewipe.

The Christmas episode of dave cooking the turkey is absolutely priceless.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

I find it difficult to understand how you can be such a fuking arsewipe.

The Christmas episode of dave cooking the turkey is absolutely priceless.

The turkey one was good but my favourite Christmas episode was "Christmas at the Turlington's".
 
Hoof Hearted
+1
#21
Curious Cdn,

Out of the hundreds of kids who attended that Summer, I was voted 'Camper of the Year' at Camp Kanawana in St.Sauveur, Que.in 1978...still got the award somewhere in storage!

But I always liked Stuart too. He wouldn't make you burst out loud laughing...more so he'd make you smile and think. He was a wonderful orator and artist.
 
Curious Cdn
+1
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoof HeartedView Post

Curious Cdn,

Out of the hundreds of kids who attended that Summer, I was voted 'Camper of the Year' at Camp Kanawana in St.Sauveur, Que.in 1978...still got the award somewhere in storage!

But I always liked Stuart too. He wouldn't make you burst out loud laughing...more so he'd make you smile and think. He was a wonderful orator and artist.

I was there a decade before you and started there a bit before, that.

You remember swimming in that lake (with a coloured poker chip hanging around your neck)? I'm a Polar Bear , little affected by the cold but KEE-RIPES that was cold!

...glacier fed ...

... full of cat fish!
 
Hoof Hearted
#23
Yes! I remember swimming for the coloured bead around your neck. Also remember pounding on the table and yelling cheers at meal time. Cripes, I think some of my Camp Leaders were only 16 years old. That was a looong time ago! Nice memories just the same.
 
JLM
-1
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

That's a fact. Never heard of him before. Must be from back east somewhere.


Originally from Montreal, but a great icon right across the country. He's put on a show in virtually every large and not so large city in the country.
Last edited by JLM; Feb 16th, 2017 at 06:44 PM..
 
no new posts