The Vinyl Cafe's Stuart MacLean Dead at 68

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
"The Vinyl Cafe" radio show, which featured a mix of stories, essays and musical performances, was spun into bestselling books and became a touring production in 2008. The show's stories centred on Dave, the owner of a second-hand record store, and also featured Dave's wife, Morley, their two children, Sam and Stephanie, and various friends and neighbours."

I was a devotee of The Vinyl Cafe - could hardly wait to see what Dave had got up to and how Morley was dealing with it. Stuart McLean had a gift for story-telling. Fare Thee Well, Stuart.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
I find it difficult to understand how he may have positively affected my life. Since he made most of his living working for CBC, using my tax money, I can't say that I would admire his accomplishments. I think he is overrated.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
A huge loss for Canadians.
I find it difficult to understand how he may have positively affected my life. Since he made most of his living working for CBC, using my tax money, I can't say that I would admire his accomplishments. I think he is overrated.
Because you have no f-cking clue who he is.

Scooby

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2012
Alberta
Personally, I am quite saddened to hear of his passing. He was a wonderful storyteller and often inspired me with a sense of pride of " being Canadian " far more than any of our other cultural offerings. I have laughed and cried too many times to count.

He will be greatly missed and fondly remembered...

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
He was one of my Camp Councellors at Camp Kanawana in St.Sauveur, Que. when I was very, very young. I have been quite entertained by him, over the years.

I will miss him even if the bean counters above think that he took something from them.

I would say that the Vinyl Cafe was inspired by the Prairie Home Companion but rather than it being a blatant ripoff, it was a Canadian take on the format.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Canada has been gifted with some memorable voices over the years each of them unique and unforgettable. Stuart's is just the latest one to go silent. Some of my favorites were Peter Gzowski, Harvey Kirck, and Don Harron. We still have Jay Ingram though I wish he hadn't jumped to TV.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

"Sometimes it's better to remain silent and appear a fool........................................."

"The Vinyl Cafe" radio show, which featured a mix of stories, essays and musical performances, was spun into bestselling books and became a touring production in 2008. The show's stories centred on Dave, the owner of a second-hand record store, and also featured Dave's wife, Morley, their two children, Sam and Stephanie, and various friends and neighbours."

I was a devotee of The Vinyl Cafe - could hardly wait to see what Dave had got up to and how Morley was dealing with it. Stuart McLean had a gift for story-telling. Fare Thee Well, Stuart.

And then there was that troublesome neighbour, Mrs. ????????????????, whose name has slipped my mind that had a knack of showing up at the worst possible moment.

R.I.P. Stuart..........................gone but not forgotten!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Every time I heard the show I got a laugh or found room for a smile
Yes he will be missed and he did impact the lives of many he brought
a positive attitude. Why is it that even at someone's death some folks
can't let go of their hate for the CBC? If you missed this man, you
missed a moment you will never get back.and a moment that made you
smile has real value RIP

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Every time I heard the show I got a laugh or found room for a smile
Yes he will be missed and he did impact the lives of many he brought
a positive attitude. Why is it that even at someone's death some folks
can't let go of their hate for the CBC? If you missed this man, you
missed a moment you will never get back.and a moment that made you
smile has real value RIP

We are much better off with C.B.C. than we would be without it!

"Sometimes it's better to remain silent and appear a fool........................................."

And then there was that troublesome neighbour, Mrs. ????????????????, whose name has slipped my mind that had a knack of showing up at the worst possible moment.

R.I.P. Stuart..........................gone but not forgotten!

The name I was trying to think of was Mrs. Turlington.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
That's a fact. Never heard of him before. Must be from back east somewhere.

I'm not surprised you would have never heard of an award winning author. I'm also not surprised you would be so willing to come to this thread and acknowledge your ignorance

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

I find it difficult to understand how you can be such a fuking arsewipe.

The Christmas episode of dave cooking the turkey is absolutely priceless.