Hippy Thanksgiving! Tree Huggers!

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
As most of you don't know, I live in the country. I'm a rural person. Because I live where there are trees and vegetation, we are visited every autumn by city people. They come to see the colours and buy our fresh fruit and veggies.

They also return around Christmas. It's like a picture postcard then too. Everything is blanketed in brilliant layer of clean, white snow. We're used to the visits, but these folks are strange. They are an odd blend of old hippies in hair shirts and young metrosexuals driving BMWs. It's as freakish as a bowl of licorice all sorts melting in the sun.

I thought I'd tell you what happened last fall. Hippy Thanksgiving!

Tree Huggers!
Copyright 2015 by Murphy

It was fall. The time of rolling year when we get invaded by tree huggers. We figured they either got loose from the nuthouse, or was from Toronto. They come every year to worship our local timber – we got lots of maples, pines and birches around.

There's also a second wave that appears at Christmas. This group dances around naked to welcome the winter solstice. Yeah, it's strange, and I just figured they was stupid. Only an idiot would run around without clothes on when it’s -30 outside! I figured nobody was that dumb. Apparently, I was wrong.

Heck, I didn’t know what a solstice was until Father Bob dropped by the house and explained it to me and Ma. He told us that the solstice happened twice a year – when the sun is at its lowest or its highest point in the sky...or somethin’ like that. Them tree huggers come here to celebrate, and even brought some goats! Well, they used to bring them. They took off runnin’ when the townsfolk started pokin’ them with cattle prods...and ate the goats.

Anyhow, the fall colours started, which brought the tourists and the hippies.

Last October, this fellow come into the general store and announced to everyone – that would be me, Ma and James – that Chief Ellis or Chief LS or somethin’ like that, was here to save us from meat. That anger-vated James Arness, the owner of the store. After all, he sold turkey, beef, and pork by the pound – despite Canada makin’ laws about usin’ only the metrical system.

I told James to relax. LS probably stood for ‘Loose Stool’, and he was just passin’ through.

But you know, it got me thinkin’. What’s better than a good steak BBQ, or a turkey, roasted golden brown for Thanksgiving? I don’t give a rat’s patoot if you don’t eat meat, but don’t go pokin’ your nose into other people’s affairs, right? I told Chief LS that this was cattle country. He said he knew. In fact, that was why he come here! He told us,

“Eating animals is cruel and clogs your arteries.”

James told him lead poisonin’ would kill him faster, but Chief LS didn’t get the hint.

The Chief said he was goin’ over to the restaurant for a fresh garden salad and a tomato juice. As he was headin’ out the door, James phoned the restaurant and talked to Edna. I didn’t know what they was cookin’ up, but I was gonna be there to see it.

We was right behind the Chief, and heard him order a tomato juice. Edna responded, lookin’ kinda sick, and said,

“You want me to go into the back and squeeze the life out of a tomato? Mister, I cannot abide the high pitched wailin’ of a ripe, red tomato bein’ put in a blender! But if that’s what you want, I’ll tell Fernley to put a couple in the juicer. You’ll have to excuse me. I can’t stand the screamin’. And Edna walked out the front door.

The Chief turned to us and asked what was wrong with her. I couldn’t resist.

“Ain’t you never heard a tomato squeal, mister? It’s kind of a high pitched cry. They does it twice. Once when you cut them in half, and a second time, when you put them in the blender.”

Chief LS give me a disgusted look and said,

“That is ridiculous! Plants are not living creatures like you and me!”

I just shrugged and said that I didn’t know nothin’ about that. I just knew that they screamed. I told that fella,

“Father Bill at the church talked to me about it once. He called it, um, ‘plant sentience’, I think...”

The Chief shook his head and said something very unkind about Father Bill. Right about then, we heard a shrill, muffled scream from the kitchen and Fernley, the cook, started yellin’.

“I don’t care what you want! You is a vegetable! I’m cuttin’ you up and puttin’ you in the blender. We got a customer that wants fresh squeezed tomato juice!”

He barely finished sayin’ that when half a tomato flew out of the kitchen and smacked against the glass door at the front.

Fernley come runnin’ out of the back, yellin’ at the tomato, “You ain’t gettin’ away that easy!”

The Chief sat there dumbfounded.

Fernley had a big cuttin’ knife in his hand. He ran to the front door and speared the tomato right through its middle. He scooped it off the floor, wiped the juice from the window with his free hand and began lickin’ it off. Then he turned to the Chief and said,

“I’m sorry about that, mister. Them tomatoes don’t usually get away from me like that. He made a run for it when I reached for the blender lid. Lucky for you he knocked himself unconscious hittin’ the glass. I’ll get him puréed and have your juice here in a minute!”

The Chief run full tilt out the door and down the road.

Fernley laughed so hard, I think he peed himself.

We never seen that fellow again.

Last edited:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Scariest part about Thanksgiving is that's when the colours are at their liveliest around here - which brings carload after carload of people who are tagged for their lousy driving abilities - no matter how many busses with funny-writ tags are going that way - making U-turns wherever they choose and no matter what the traffic flow because there's a pretty red maple glowing over a rock and creek. I ask you: How can someone with a steering wheel at their belly forget that they're driving when it's pitcher-takin' time?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Scariest part about Thanksgiving is...I ask you: How can someone with a steering wheel at their belly forget that they're driving when it's pitcher-takin' time?
pitchers might have (had) beer in 'em...

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Thank you. Life in Northern Ontario is a hoot, ain't it?
Seems to be , I should be travelling through some of it next summer . I am going to look for those red neck places I can't go into .

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Yup, gotta be perty entertainin' when them 905 and 416ers invade 705 country, even more so when they head into 807 hillbilly territory. I live in the town Alberta forgot, don't git many city critters out here lately cuz of the 'conomy, even the loggin' trucks have abandoned us. Mostly now see geriatrics on murdercycles stoppin' in at the saloon ta clean the bugs outta ther teeth.

Seems to be , I should be travelling through some of it next summer . I am going to look for those red neck places I can't go into .

Well then, you have to make a side trip to the Manitoulin, Fresh Water Newfies they call them, (otherwise Haweaters). If you are met by a car coming at you head on, and he's weaving, he's probably not drunk, but my uncle Jiggs. Dunno how he keeps his license after all these years. And the long grey haired dude with an even longer beard who looks like Marty from "Mountain Men", well that's probably my cousin Rick. Went back for a family reunion last summer, forgot how strange my family really is, which is saying a lot because I know how strange I am.

Otherwise its lovely country, and no blackflies.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Yup, gotta be perty entertainin' when them 905 and 416ers invade 705 country, even more so when they head into 807 hillbilly territory. I live in the town Alberta forgot, don't git many city critters out here lately cuz of the 'conomy, even the loggin' trucks have abandoned us. Mostly now see geriatrics on murdercycles stoppin' in at the saloon ta clean the bugs outta ther teeth.

Well then, you have to make a side trip to the Manitoulin, Fresh Water Newfies they call them, (otherwise Haweaters). If you are met by a car coming at you head on, and he's weaving, he's probably not drunk, but my uncle Jiggs. Dunno how he keeps his license after all these years. And the long grey haired dude with an even longer beard who looks like Marty from "Mountain Men", well that's probably my cousin Rick. Went back for a family reunion last summer, forgot how strange my family really is, which is saying a lot because I know how strange I am.

Otherwise its lovely country, and no blackflies.
Look forward to meet this salt of the earth family of yours . Don't worry I will bring lots of DEET for the flies .

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Look forward to meet this salt of the earth family of yours . Don't worry I will bring lots of DEET for the flies .

Actually you don't need DEET so much, they have dawn and dusk mosquitos, avoid those times of day and you're fine, except for the horseflies, for them you need body armour, they drink DEET like we drink Red Bull. But even they're not that bad, the Manitoulin is as close to Northern paradise as you can get.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Just remember to bring money.

Notice in the Beardsley Tribune:

A message from the mayor of Beardsley, ON:

Dear visitor to Northern Ontario, we're waiting for you to get here. We love moose season and we love tourists. Bring money. Come up for the hunting, but also for the stories! Here’s a free story to start you off. It’s about tourists just like you!
---

I love the fall in northern Ontario!

My buddy Nelford loves to take a pair of moose antlers and bash into cars when you city folks are at the grocery store pickin' up supplies for your hunt. Don't worry. He don’t leave any bad dents. It’s funny, 'cause I'll be sittin' in the restaurant, or at the hotel havin' a beer, and hear some of you tellin' your wives about gettin' hit by a moose. You talk about it like it's some sorta badge of honour.

"Honestly Betty, I was stopped at the grocery store trying to buy some petit fours and quiche. Do you know that they do not sell either up here?!? I really am roughing it! It's hell... Anyway, when I came out of the store, the trunk of the Cadillac was all marked up! One of the local characters said that he saw a moose butting into the car. That old timer says that it's quite common around here."

My neighbour Bob likes to swap licence plates. That's the nice thing about living here - nobody would ever steal something issued by the government! They just move them around. Share the love, you know? Bob's brother Ralph starts things going by phoning the cops.

"Hey officer, I found mine lying on the ground in front of the truck. Right there where I parked! I think them tourists have been vandalizing stuff again!"

Bob, Ralph and a few of the guys get out the lawn chairs, grab a case of beer and watch the fun as the cops pull over all them tourist vehicles from down south.

"Sir, these plates aren't registered to your vehicle! Is this your car?"

Them Strange City Hunters
-copyright 2015, Murphy

Moose hunters from Toronto are easy to spot. They are the odd lookin' guys with new camo jackets (some with the price tags still attached), fancy polished boots and shiny, gold triggered, pretty boy Browning guns. You must of seen 'em. They drive big, polished 4x4s that have the funny lookin', meterosexual tires.

They sure say a lot of crazy things. Just get in line at Tim Hortons - we don't have any Starbucks up here - and listen to them talk.

"Oooh, don't scratch the paint!"
"Hey, try to drive AROUND the mud puddles!"
"Slow down! You'll spill my latte!"

And speakin' about fall huntin' season, I'll never forget the year that three of my dairy cows went missin'. The cops found 'em, but it took a few days. Actually, the culprit was pulled over at the highway weigh scales when the police and conservation officers were doin' a roadside check. That fellow was all proud of himself. He thought he shot a moose. It turned out that he had a badly gutted Holstein on the trailer behind his Mercedes. The conservation officer had tears of laughter streamin' down his face.

It was a dilemma for all of five seconds. See, that hunter didn't break any game laws. It's not illegal to shoot a cow - unless it's not yours of course. That's how Johnny Law got involved. The cop arrested him for theft, destruction of private property and bein' stupid.

Now, I spray paint my cows fluorescent green before huntin’ season.

One last thing. I just wanted to tell everybody that we're ready for tourist season. The guys have been workin' overtime fillin' plastic bottles full of lanolin and creosote for to sell durin' the black fly season. We get the creosote from scrapin' old railroad ties. Another one of our local recycling efforts. No point wastin' anything.

DON'T BUG ME (that's what we call it) is very popular. It's marketed as a local remedy to chase bugs away. We don't bother with it ourselves though. Al Perks says that it's toxic, so we're better off sellin' it to people from out of town. That’s what his wife Wendy Lou says anyway. It smells nice though. I guess that's the big draw. It's certainly better than what we used to sell. It was diesel in a can. Some of the old timers will remember BONG! from their huntin' trips before 1992. Those were the daze!

Last edited:

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Me and the wife are plannin' a trip to Saskatchewan one day. The only thing holdin' us back is the passport. That. and Ma is tryin' to make me spend the money to go by boat. I gotta confess though, that I never been on a cruise before.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Me and the wife are plannin' a trip to Saskatchewan one day. The only thing holdin' us back is the passport. That. and Ma is tryin' to make me spend the money to go by boat. I gotta confess though, that I never been on a cruise before.
Which route? Northern or southern? If taking the southern route via the Red and Assiniboine grab me a burger from VJ's in Winnipeg. If you cut thru the train station you'll save a block when walking up from the forks. When you get to my farm, I'll come down to the river and pick you up with the grain truck.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Which route? Northern or southern? If taking the southern route via the Red and Assiniboine grab me a burger from VJ's in Winnipeg. If you cut thru the train station you'll save a block when walking up from the forks. When you get to my farm, I'll come down to the river and pick you up with the grain truck.

I'm not so good with that stuff. We'll go into town and talk to a travel agent. People that work in these places have been everywhere. North Bay. Toronto. Nerly Corners.

Trust in the pros to help!