I don't want to sober up tonight
I don't want to act like things are alright
And I don't want to change just to make you think I'm happy
That's my right I don't want to sober up tonight

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
From wiki bio, early life.. kind of the stuff of (old) country tunes. rip..

Married and plagued by financial issues,[8] he was arrested in 1957 shortly after he tried to rob a Bakersfield roadhouse.[14] He was sent to Bakersfield Jail,[7] and was later transferred after an escape attempt to San Quentin Prison, on February 21, 1958.[15] While in prison, Haggard discovered that his wife was expecting a child from another man, which pressed him psychologically. He was fired from a series of prison jobs, and planned to escape along with another inmate nicknamed "Rabbit". Haggard was convinced not to escape by fellow inmates.[16] Haggard started to run a gambling and brewing racket with his cellmate. After he was caught drunk, he was sent for a week to solitary confinement where he encountered Caryl Chessman, an author and death row inmate.[17] Meanwhile, "Rabbit" had successfully escaped, only to shoot a police officer and return to San Quentin for execution.[16] Chessman's predicament, along with the execution of "Rabbit," inspired Haggard to turn his life around.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merle...PA307.23v.3Donepage.26q.26f.3Dfalse_307.5D-17

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
always enjoyed his style of singing, and his songs, way back when, when I was into the
country stuff, got sick of it later on.

RIP

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
R.I.P. Hag- I'll always remember you for "California Cotton Fields" :) :)

Last edited:

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Lots of family in Bakersfield. Lived there myself when I was 19, 20. Merle was almost kinda part of everyone out there along with Buck Owens. He always reminded me of my dad. They looked alike and dad was a guitar player too. They were all musical out there in Bakersfield even played in a little band at Fairfax Avenue Baptist Church. They're all gone now. Now Merle is gone too. Maybe they're up there somewhere singin and playing guitars and talkin about ole times they had in Bakersfield. RIP Merle. I liked your music.

Mama Tried.

My favorite was "Silver Wings".

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Lots of family in Bakersfield. Lived there myself when I was 19, 20. Merle was almost kinda part of everyone out there along with Buck Owens. He always reminded me of my dad. They looked alike and dad was a guitar player too. They were all musical out there in Bakersfield even played in a little band at Fairfax Avenue Baptist Church. They're all gone now. Now Merle is gone too. Maybe they're up there somewhere singin and playing guitars and talkin about ole times they had in Bakersfield. RIP Merle. I liked your music.

Mama Tried.

My favorite was "Silver Wings".

"Mama Tried" was another dandy!
We're losing a lot of the good artists and good replacements today are pretty scarce!

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
"Mama Tried" was another dandy!
We're losing a lot of the good artists and good replacements today are pretty scarce!
I remember Merle use to have a big house boat up north on Lake Shasta. He loved to fish.

A part of Americana. Okie from Muskogee . The town of Bakersfield is mostly comprised of those okies who migrated west during the dust bowl days of the great depression years. I guess my family was part of that trip. As was probably Merles family. Brings back a lot of memories of the tales that were tol

From wiki bio, early life.. kind of the stuff of (old) country tunes. rip..

Married and plagued by financial issues,[8] he was arrested in 1957 shortly after he tried to rob a Bakersfield roadhouse.[14] He was sent to Bakersfield Jail,[7] and was later transferred after an escape attempt to San Quentin Prison, on February 21, 1958.[15] While in prison, Haggard discovered that his wife was expecting a child from another man, which pressed him psychologically. He was fired from a series of prison jobs, and planned to escape along with another inmate nicknamed "Rabbit". Haggard was convinced not to escape by fellow inmates.[16] Haggard started to run a gambling and brewing racket with his cellmate. After he was caught drunk, he was sent for a week to solitary confinement where he encountered Caryl Chessman, an author and death row inmate.[17] Meanwhile, "Rabbit" had successfully escaped, only to shoot a police officer and return to San Quentin for execution.[16] Chessman's predicament, along with the execution of "Rabbit," inspired Haggard to turn his life around.
Yeah ole Merle was a scoundrel in his younger days.