Which Wine Should I Serve with Dinner?

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Which Wine Should I Serve with Dinner?
copyright 2016 - Murphy, for the International Wine Journal

When I'm serving venison, I always deliver it with a few bottles of wine. It's part of a rich hunting tradition. Or maybe not. I think that years ago, before the cooking shows on television, the rich got served wine to hide the gamey taste of the meat.

Regardless, I would be remiss if I did not recommend a bottle of 'ye olde grape' right now. There's always room at the table for a savoury Bordello or fruity Chevrolet. It's funny, but the British call a Bordello a Clarinet. I've no idea why.

White or red? It used to be that you served white with fish or fowl. Red was best with beef or lamb. But that was in the days when we had fewer spices and seasonings for our food. Heck, we had fewer foods period.

For European peasants, it was gruel with water for breakfast, and gruel with water for lunch. If they got dinner, it was usually gruel with water, or a splash of goat's milk. And just so you know, gruel was usually made from oat, rye or wheat flour, which was ground up and mixed with water and made into a runny paste.

On special occasions, gruel and cider was served. That's just fermented fruit juice, made in a dirty bucket or cask, complete with insects and the odd, unfortunate mammal floating on the top. Usually, it was a drowned mouse or a vole.

The rich got venison, pheasant or quail, vegetables and a key to the wine cellar.

The best rule of thumb is to drink whatever you like, regardless of the meat served. Discrimination because of colour went out with President Johnson in the 1960s. Reds are no longer expected to sit in the back of the wine rack. If you like that odd taste of tannin, muckle onto a bottle of red and empty it. Glass optional.

While red wine has that funny, dry taste that some people don't like, the whites are usually sweeter. 'Sweet' being a relative term. It is an interpretation of what your taste buds like. What works for me may not be good for you. As a general rule, keep more whites in your rack for company, unless you're a vintner with a lot of grape savvy friends.

For the hoi polloi, sparkling wines are always a treat. Rosey or Cave wines should be drank from a tumbler or straight from the box for the full effect. Plastic is the new glass. Just make sure your polymers are imported for that classy look.

For some reason, the Swiss don't like wine. They ferment a high acid wine that's called 'Gamey', which doesn't sound appealing. It's also got a short shelf life. No doubt! I've never tried it, but I'm told that it's made to be drank quickly after bottling. I figure it must be made for winos.

Moving on, you old Canadian hippies might remember those green, oval shaped bottles of Portuguese Matthews Rose, eh? wine as the ones people put candles in and let the wax run over.

Besides Portuguese Matthews wine, there's also Portuguese Madonna wine. Madonna is the name of an island directly west of Morocco (that's in NW Africa), but is owned by the Portuguese. They produce tasty wine despite being surrounded by salt water.

What makes Madonna wine so good is it is produced the same way that Lady Madonna performs in her stage shows. The grapes (and the audience) are heated to 110 degrees and then allowed to cool slowly.

Regardless of which wine you drink, always remember to drink enough to get a buzz. You're carrying on a historical tradition. Peasants and the lower classes always drank for effect whenever they got near a cask. And of course, Robin Hood's merry men wouldn't have been so merry without it!

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
It depends on the faith you have in the dinner. If you,er certain your creation will impress you can trust 9% but if you want impact, stunning impact i findthat 11.5 gets my attention. Maybe we can connect with wine.

The main course should be at war with the the wash down. Dinner should end in an altered state or it was not worth eating.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
When you mentioned "gamey" flavour it caught my attention. I remember reading some time back that the intensity of a gamey flavour in wild meats is directly related to how fast the animal dies, as the shock of a mortal wound releases substances into the blood that can have an effect on the taste. An instantaneous death results in very little gamey flavour, while an animal that has time to run or thrash about will have a more intense gamey flavour. It also makes a difference how soon the animal is drained of blood and dressed. In any event, I ran across a recipe that was meant to "cure" the gamey flavour from a less than perfect kill. It involved marinating the meat in buttermilk and cardamom, and then roasting the meat in the marinade for the first half of the cooking time. I tell ya, the house smelled so great, and the meat was so delectable I pretty much use it every time I have venison.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Sounds like it could be a slippery slope, keep moving, things are more entertaining that way.

Switch 'bottles' with 'jugs' and it won't much matter as long as you don't run out. it will be the deer hunting story that makes or breaks the evening.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
A jug of home made blackberry wine a fruity delight with an exquisite bouquet for you darkbeaver drink straight outa the jug.

Goes good with venison or frozen burritos a universal beverage.

Wine, wine , wine blackberry, wine wine , wine elderberry, wine wine wine , have it harry,, slip that bottle to me yeah boy. ~ Jerry Lee Lewis.

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
I have found the Bare Foot brands of wine quite good. Ie. Try their Pinot Noir. ......It was as good if not better than the Pinot Noir I had in Paris at 15 Euros a glass!!

PS there was no price beside the glass on the menu. Should have realized why!!

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
My sommelier recommends a late vintage Cuiver Reserve Chateau Bottled Nuit San Wogga Wogga.