George Martin's Passing

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario

George Martin’s Passing

I was feeling down when I first heard that George Martin had died, but I’m better now. Let me tell you why.

He was most famous for his work with the Beatles, but Sir George was also a talented musician, arranger, writer, businessman and more. He enjoyed a long and fruitful life, checking out after 90 years on the planet. Losing someone like this is sad, but no one lives forever.

While his passing touched me, I didn’t tear up. How could I? I didn’t actually know the man. I only knew of his work and the reputation he had within the recording industry. I was upset however, and couldn't figure out why. At least, not right away. With some self evaluation, the truth became clear. His departure reminded me that time does not stand still and I am getting older.

I think that when someone famous dies, we all get melancholy, not so much for the departed, but for ourselves. It reminds us of our own mortality and takes us outside of our comfort zone.

I looked at this picture of the Beatles and Sir George, and thought back to the fun, carefree times of my youth. Their music was a big part of that. Staring at those young faces, I suddenly realized that three of the five were gone. That picture was taken in 1963 – 53 years ago!

It occurred to me that I was being selfish. You see, those memories were all about me. My music. My good times. My youth. With John, George H and George M gone, that meant part of me was gone too. I think that’s what hit the hardest. I was actually feeling sorry for myself!

But I’m not gone. I still have friends and family, and still have many wonderful memories. I also have a bunch more living to do and more memories to make! After a while, I remembered this. You should consider it too.

“To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heavens”

We’re all still living our seasons, fulfilling our purpose under the heavens.

Be thankful for the wonderful memories others have left for you. Give of yourself and pass it on! Live to leave your own wonderful memories for others. It is the circle of life.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
George Martin also wrote the score for the 1973 Bond film Live and Let Die (the film in which Bond is left stranded by the baddies amongst a load of crocodiles at a farm in the Louisiana backwoods and the baddies walk away laughing thinking they have finally killed Bond but Bond still manages to escape by using the crocodiles as stepping stones. The film was criticised, however, for its use of the racist term "honky" to describe white people), which was performed by Paul McCartney and Wings.

However, I do think Game of Thrones is highly overrated. George Martin should have stuck to the music.