Two new series of Red Dwarf are on the way.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Good news, smegheads. Coronation Street actor Craig Charles is quitting the soap after ten years to film two new series of cult sci-fi comedy Red Dwarf.

The iconic show will be filming a further two series - Red Dwarf XI and Red Dwarf XII - at the end of the year, with 50-year-old Craig's last scenes on the cobbles being shown in September.

Details of his departure storyline are currently being finalised by the Coronation Street writing team.

In a statement to MailOnline, Producer Stuart Blackburn said: 'Craig has provided us with a decade packed with laughter, tears and great drama.

'It won't just be Steve who misses Lloyd it will be all of his Corrie friends and colleagues. We wish him all the very best.'

Red Dwarf has been running since 1988, with the latest series, Red Dwarf X, having aired in 2012.

Set three million years in the future and far from Earth onboard the six-mile-long mining ship Red Dwarf, Craig Charles plays the vindaloo-loving Dave Lister, the only known human still alive. After an accident onboard the ship in the late 22nd Century, which killed every person onboard except himself, following which he spent the succeeding 3 million years in stasis, Lister is now accompanied by the hologram of his dead bunkmate and immediate superior Arnold Rimmer, an anally-retentive, cowardly jobsworth with an over-inflated ego; a vain humanoid feline, known as Cat, the last member of a race which evolved in the ship's hold from Lister's cat over the three million years; and Kryten (full name Kryten
2X4B - 523P), a Service Mechanoid which was rescued by Lister, Rimmer and Cat from the crashed spaceship Nova 5 in series II who is now the resident science expert.

Red Dwarf XI will be aired in 2016 and Red Dwarf XII in 2017.

Craig Charles quits Coronation Street following ten years on the show as he returns to Red Dwarf

By Rebecca Davison for MailOnline
3 May 2015
Daily Mail

Craig Charles has announced he has quit his role on much-loved ITV show, Coronation Street.

The star, who has played cabbie Lloyd Mullaney for the last ten years, but will leave in the autumn, has revealed plans to return to cult series, Red Dwarf.

The iconic show will be filming a further two series at the end of the year, with 50-year-old Craig's last scenes on the cobbles being shown in September.

Moving on: Craig Charles has announced he has quit his role as Lloyd Mullaney in Coronation Street following ten years on the show - he plans to join the Red Dwarf cast as they film two further series

Details of his departure storyline are currently being finalised by the Coronation Street writing team.

In a statement to MailOnline, Producer Stuart Blackburn said: 'Craig has provided us with a decade packed with laughter, tears and great drama.

'It won't just be Steve who misses Lloyd it will be all of his Corrie friends and colleagues. We wish him all the very best.'

The actor said in a statement to MailOnline: 'I feel I owe it to my colleagues on Red Dwarf to join them in filming the new series and finding out what is in store for Lister and the others'

They're back! The show will return from 2016, with Chris Barrie, Danny John-Jules and Robert Llewellyn also having said to have signed up for the show

Craig himself added: 'I have had an absolutely fantastic ten years on Coronation Street and I will be very sad to leave.

'Lloyd has become a huge part of my life and I have made some amazing friends with whom I will always keep in touch.

'But I feel I owe it to my colleagues on Red Dwarf to join them in filming the new series and finding out what is in store for Lister and the others.

'I would love to return to Coronation Street at some point in the future.'

He added: 'I have had an absolutely fantastic ten years on Coronation Street and I will be very sad to leave

While it's unknown how Craig will bow out, no doubt his storyline will have something to do with his on-screen love interest, Andrea Beckett who is played by Hayley Tamaddon.

According to The Mirror, Tamaddon will leave the show during the soap's live episode to mark its 60th anniversary.

Meanwhile, Red Dwarf fans were delighted to learn that the show will return from 2016, with Chris Barrie, Danny John-Jules and Robert Llewellyn all said to have signed up for the show.

Coming to an end: It is unknown how Craig will bow out of the show - his last scenes will air in September but he hasn't ruled out a return to the show

Last edited: