Poldark

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Yet another lavish new BBC historical drama.

Poldark is a remake of the 1970s BBC series of the same name, based on the Winston Graham novels.

Episode 1 of 8

Cornwall, 1783.

Ross Poldark returns from fighting the bad guys in the American War of Independence to find his father dead, the estate in ruins and his sweetheart Elizabeth engaged to his cousin.

On impulse, Ross rescues young urchin Demelza and resolves to forge a new life in the face of hostile forces.

With Aidan Turner as Ross Poldark and the late Warren Clarke, who passed away not long after filming the series, as Charles Poldark.

Watch it here: BBC iPlayer - Poldark - Episode 1

Last edited:

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
I liked the 1970s version of Poldark. Robin Ellis was perfect in the role of Ross Poldark. Sometimes wise, sometimes impetuous, and usually lucky. Great acting, wonderful show.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I liked the 1970s version of Poldark. Robin Ellis was perfect in the role of Ross Poldark. Sometimes wise, sometimes impetuous, and usually lucky. Great acting, wonderful show.

I prefer the Seventies version. BBC dramas nowadays, unlike those in the 1970s, of course, are often ruined by too much political correctness, as this first episode of Poldark was slightly. It was still enjoyable viewing, though, and I'll be watching episode 2 next week.

BBC political correctness ever dafter in these historical dramas, which depict an age long before the scourge of political correctness arose.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Here's a little game: can anyone spot the anomaly in this BBC publicity photo of the series?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Looks like a security system or lighting by the second floor window of the building behind Poldark.

It's a burglar alarm.

ITV did a similar thing with a Downton Abbey photo. How nobody noticed it at the time has not yet satisfactorily been explained.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Episode 2

Ross resolves to reopen his family mine with Francis. Demelza struggles to fit in at Nampara, and Verity makes an unsuitable match, leading to a feud between Ross and Charles which ends in a duel.

Watch it here: BBC iPlayer - Poldark - Episode 2