'Traumatized' senior sues 'Just for Laughs Gags,' over dropped baby stunt

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Marie-Eve Dumont, QMI Agency

Aug 1, 2014 , Last Updated: 3:06 PM ET

The Just for Laughs Gags show could face a lawsuit from a Montreal-area senior for a dropped baby stunt that she says left her traumatized.
The show recently played a trick on an 83-year-old woman at a shopping centre in Beloeil, Que., on Montreal's south shore.
A male actor, using a doll, pretended to be a father trying out a baby carrier with his infant. The actor hopped onto a trampoline and bounced into the air.
At one point the actor bounced too high and the "child" flew out of the carrier and landed heavily on the ground.
The senior says she thought the baby was real.
"I tried to stop him from jumping, but nothing worked," said the woman, who refused to give her name. "The sound of the baby is still ringing in my head. I felt guilty and was ashamed that I couldn't do anything."
The Just for Laughs TV crew quickly told the woman the scene was a stunt, but she didn't get the joke.
"We see so much horror, abused children around the world," said the woman. "I didn't find it funny at all."
Her son, Yves Bosse, a veteran police officer, told QMI Agency that the gag left his mother "as white as a sheet" and that she had the shakes as well as headaches and nausea.
"My mother has heart problems, she wears a pacemaker," said Bosse. "She told me: 'Good thing you were there or I would have died.'"
Bosse plans to sue the gag show and is even considering a class-action lawsuit.
Just for Laughs Gags apologized to the woman and said she's the first person not to get the joke.
"We have fooled more than 85,000 people over the past 15 years," spokeswoman Dominique Quinta said of the popular Montreal show that's broadcast across North America.
"This is the first time things went badly."

When I first read the headline I thought "Here we go again, someone 'over reacting'", but in all honesty, once I read the "gag".....that was probably over the top. I can see myself being pissed if someone pulled that on me.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I have watched this show I don't like this show but anyone who would sue over
a comedy stunt is in serious need of a life.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Have watched "Gags" for a long time - off and on.
Mostly it's funny.
Sometimes corny. i.e. the cop things. (gotta look eh)
Sometimes I wonder how come one of the actors don't get punched out.
Hope she wins.
I'll sue next.
just for gags.

QuebecCanadian

Electoral Member
Apr 13, 2014
I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner. I love the show and the gags. A friend of mine was caught once where a woman asked her to watch her son while she went off somewhere. The little kids has to go to the bathroom but the restroom is occupied so he pretends to pee in a plant just when security arrives and gives her hell for letting her "son" pee in the plant. It was hilarious....and harmless. You only see the successful ones on TV.

A baby being thrown in the air and landing with a thump could be traumatzing to witness if you thought it was real!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner. I love the show and the gags. A friend of mine was caught once where a woman asked her to watch her son while she went off somewhere. The little kids has to go to the bathroom but the restroom is occupied so he pretends to pee in a plant just when security arrives and gives her hell for letting her "son" pee in the plant. It was hilarious....and harmless. You only see the successful ones on TV.

My all time favourite had to be the woman dressed as a nun who would bump into young men on the street, spilling the contents of her bag which contained tons of polaroids of young buff men in speedos. :D

A baby being thrown in the air and landing with a thump could be traumatzing to witness if you thought it was real!
I think it's pretty stupid to sue but, like I said earlier, if someone pulled that gag on me, I'd probably be pissed.

I guess this means the fake beheading plan is off.

Depends on how the lawsuit pans out.