Netflix rumored to get exclusive new Star Trek series

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Netflix rumored to get exclusive new Star Trek series (Updated) | News | Geek.com

It has been nearly a decade since new stories in the Star Trek universe have been produced for the small screen, but we might be getting close to a revival of this storied franchise courtesy of Netflix. At Phoenix Comicon, Star Trek author and producer Larry Nemecek has announced that CBS is in talks with Netflix to produce a new series that would air on the streaming service. Set phasers to excited. Update: Nemecek has posted a rebuttal of the original report, saying he never stated there were ongoing talks about a new Trek series on Netflix. Apparently there have been “overtures” in the past, but as far as he knows nothing is happening right now.

According to Nemecek, Netflix approached CBS about hosting a new Trek series, then followed up with a proposal to create and produce the show completely in-house. If this deal goes through, the series would be a Netflix exclusive in the vein of House of Cards or Orange is the New Black. Interestingly, CBS is supposedly being offered a royalty deal that would pay it for each stream of the new series. No word on whether the series would be set in the new Abrams alternate timeline or the original one.

The last Star Trek series to air on TV was Star Trek: Enterprise, which abruptly ended back in 2005 after just five seasons. This show never really caught on, and the mediocre ratings brought to an end nearly 20 years of Star Trek on TV. During that time, there were often two different series running simultaneously. After all these years, though, interest in the escapades of Starfleet is on the rise, due in part to the revitalized JJ Abrams movies.

Netflix doesn’t release streaming numbers, but market research firms frequently list Star Trek in its various forms as the most streamed content on Netflix. This might be the time for a new series now that everyone has gotten over their Star Trek fatigue. CBS could also make a boatload of money if the royalty deal is accurate. There is no official confirmation of the talks at this time, so take everything from Nemecek with a grain of salt. Even if this is real and Netflix does get a new Trek series, it’s going to be a few years before it sees the light of day.

If I was Netflix I’d be on the phone to Microsoft suggesting they sponsor the show. After all, who else has a real-life Universal Translator launching later this year?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Was wondering when the next series would be produced as I was watching the final STTNG season on DVD last week.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It pisses me off to no end that any Star Trek series is not available in Canada on Netflix.

Write your MP who is your representative for Canadian Gov investments. You are an owner of Netflix after Gov investment into the service. It's why we pay $4 more than US customers.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Netflix Canada to raise prices by $1Streaming company promises existing customers won't see price hike for 2 years
May 09, 2014 9:00 AM ET
CBC News
Netflix has officially raised its price by $1 for new members in Canada and elsewhere, while pledging that existing customers won't see fees increase for at least two years.

In a move*that had been rumoured for weeks, the online streaming video company said that starting immediately, the price for new Canadian customers would go*from*$7.99 to $8.99
You're almost correct it started at $5 and $8 but are now equal at $9 for a little over a month.

Still too much for bargain bin films.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I don't watch enough to make it worth while. Sasktel recently upgraded my service to fibre optics with 100mbps so I stream torrents for nada and no download wait.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
It pisses me off to no end that any Star Trek series is not available in Canada on Netflix.

Funny they have all kinds of Star Trek movies, but not the tv series.

I hope this new star trek isn't a rumour.....oh please don't be a rumour....

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
star trek continues? these are the unofficial voyages of the starship enterprise. ;)

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don't watch enough to make it worth while. Sasktel recently upgraded my service to fibre optics with 100mbps so I stream torrents for nada and no download wait.

I usually do that too. My internet isn't that fast though so there is usually a wait of a few hours.

Funny they have all kinds of Star Trek movies, but not the tv series.

I hope this new star trek isn't a rumour.....oh please don't be a rumour....

Its a rights thing. Paramount has the rights to the movies. The TV show belongs to another network, don't recall if its NBC or something else. Apparently some sort of deal was reached in which no series would be produced until after the JJ Abrams movies were done. They don't want to compete with themselves. If a new series is coming 2016 would be a good time to start it. Just in time for the 50th anniversary.