Piers Morgan final show lecture

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Piers Morgan signs off final show with gun control lecture

Posted by Mandy Nagy Saturday, March 29, 2014 at 12:00pm
In the last few minutes of the final broadcast of his program at CNN Friday evening, Piers Morgan said goodbye to his viewing audience.
And he just couldn’t help himself.
Watch for yourself.

Partial transcript below.
Regular viewers will know that the issue of gun control has been a consistent and often very controversial part of this show. And I want to say something more about that before I bow out.
I have lived and worked in America for much of the past decade. It’s a magnificent country. A land of true opportunity that affords anyone, even British chancers like me, the opportunity to live the American dream. The vast majority of Americans I have met are decent, hard-working, thoroughly dependable people. As my brother, a British Army colonel, says, “You’d always want an American next to you in a trench when the going gets tough.”
But that’s where I think guns belong – on a military battlefield, in the hands of highly trained men and women fighting for democracy and freedom. Not in the hands of civilians. The scourge of gun violence is a disease that now infects every aspect of American life. Each day, on average, 35 people in this country are murdered with guns, another 50 kill themselves with guns, and 200 more are shot but survive. That’s 100,000 people a year hit by gunfire in America.

Now, I assumed that after 70 people were shot in a movie theater, and then, just a few months later, 20 first-graders were murdered with an assault rifle in an elementary school, that the absurd gun laws in this country would change. But nothing has happened. The gun lobby in America, led by the NRA, has bullied this nation’s politicians into cowardly, supine silence. Even when 20 young children are blown away in their classrooms.
This is a shameful situation that frankly has made me very angry. So angry, in fact, that some people have criticized me for being too loud, opinionated, even rude when I have debated the issue of guns. But I make no apologies for that.
As Sir Winston Churchill said: “If you have an important point to make, don’t try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver. Hit the point once. Then come back and hit it again. Then, hit it a third time – a tremendous whack.”
My point is simple: more guns doesn’t mean less crime as the NRA repeatedly tries to tell you. It means more gun violence, more death, and more profits for the gun manufacturers. And to those who claim my gun control campaigning has been “anti-American,” well, the reverse is true. I’m so pro-American, I want more of you to stay alive.
But I’ve made my point. I’ve given it a tremendous whack. Now it’s down to you. It is your country; these are your gun laws. And the senseless slaughter will only end when enough Americans stand together and cry: Enough!
I look forward to that day. I also look forward to seeing you all again soon. Thank you and God bless America. Oh, and while I’m at it, God bless Great Britain too. Goodnight.

Piers Morgan | final show | gun control | NRA

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Not surprising. I doubt it will change anything. Those who agree with him will continue to agree and those who disagree will continue to disagree. Its pretty difficult to change anyone's mind on this issue one way or another.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
The first lesson in gun control happened in the 12th century when the Roman Catholic Pope banned projectile weapons resulting in the slaughter of Christian soldiers falling to Saladin's archers .I believe the reported number is around 12,000 deaths . circa 1100 give or take .

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
I wonder if he will go back as a judge for Americas and britains got talent?