Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Anyone watching it?

Any comments? I have been told I should check it out ♦

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I've watched two Vikings now. One fictional, that I tuned out of before the end though the scenery was awesome - the other is a documentary by that lovely Scottish lad Jamie something. I really enjoyed the latter a lot as it was actual history. I know a lot of people that really enjoyed the fictional one too.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I've watched two Vikings now. One fictional, that I tuned out of before the end though the scenery was awesome - the other is a documentary by that lovely Scottish lad Jamie something. I really enjoyed the latter a lot as it was actual history. I know a lot of people that really enjoyed the fictional one too.

Vikings – Watch Online | Full Episodes on History

thanks Mo, is this the one you watched...I know they are about to begin Season 2 and I've been thinking of catching up by watching Season 1 on line...haven't started yet but saw some previews that looked interesting so was just wondering if anyone was in love or hate with it

Does it start tonight?

I watched all of last season.
I don't know Eagle, it was recommended I catch up by "starting" what did you think of it? Is it worth watching, previews looked interesting.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Vikings – Watch Online | Full Episodes on History

thanks Mo, is this the one you watched...I know they are about to begin Season 2 and I've been thinking of catching up by watching Season 1 on line...haven't started yet but saw some previews that looked interesting so was just wondering if anyone was in love or hate with it

I don't know Eagle, it was recommended I catch up by "starting" what did you think of it? Is it worth watching, previews looked interesting.

I believe so, Sal...........History carried the one I watched. Eagle would be a better judge of it as he got into the series.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

I liked it... but I like that type of show. Vikings, intrigue, fighting, looting, plotting. It is set at the dawn of the Viking invasions of Anglo/Saxon Britain.

I am a big Bernard Cornwell fan and he has a series called The Saxon Chronicles. It is about the Viking invasions of Britain. The books were so good so when this series came up last year I watched every one and was not disappointed.

Here is the first book in the series.

Last edited:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I liked it... but I like that type of show. Vikings, intrigue, fighting, looting, plotting. It is set at the dawn of the Viking invasions of Anglo/Saxon Britain.

I am a big Bernard Cornwell fan and he has a series called The Saxon Chronicals. It is about the Viking invasions of Britain. The books were so good so when this series came up last year I watched every one and was not disappointed.

Here is the first book in the series.

okay thanks for the comments, based on what you have just said, I think I will go for it...I love Game of Thrones which I've heard it similar...

thanks, I'll let you know ♦

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
okay thanks for the comments, based on what you have just said, I think I will go for it...I love Game of Thrones which I've heard it similar...

thanks, I'll let you know ♦

They say it is based on shows like Game of Thrones and The Tudors as well as the HBO Series Rome. I haven't seen Game of Thrones or The Tudors but I saw Rome from beginning to end. It is of that genre although Rome was fantastic.

But you could call me a fan of Vikings... for what that's worth!

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I'm in the same camp as EagleSmack (right down to being a big fan of Cornwell :p ). If you are expecting a lot of facts, then no, Vikings probably won't float your boat. It is historical fiction, loosely based on the actions of historical figures, which I am a fan of, and I like the story line.

I'm looking forward to season 2 starting next week.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Cornwell is such a great writer. I've read every book of his except the ones based on yachting/sailing... his favorite pastime. Maybe I should read those as well.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
They say it is based on shows like Game of Thrones and The Tudors as well as the HBO Series Rome. I haven't seen Game of Thrones or The Tudors but I saw Rome from beginning to end. It is of that genre although Rome was fantastic.

But you could call me a fan of Vikings... for what that's worth!

Bought the Rome series at Christmas- getting time to watch it is the issue.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Just finished Episode 1.

OMG....Gariel Byrne is in it. I love this actor. He was in an HBO series called In Treatment which was an amazing show. I kept trying to figure out where I knew him from.

The landscape is breathtaking.

I prefer character driven over plot driven and I think this show is going to be character driven, with a well developed plot...well acted but I will need to see a couple more to be sure.

So far giving it a definitely highly interested.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Just finished Episode 1.

OMG....Gariel Byrne is in it. I love this actor. He was in an HBO series called In Treatment which was an amazing show. I kept trying to figure out where I knew him from.

The landscape is breathtaking.

I prefer character driven over plot driven and I think this show is going to be character driven, with a well developed plot...well acted but I will need to see a couple more to be sure.

So far giving it a definitely highly interested.

So should I record the repeats and watch from the start??????

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
So should I record the repeats and watch from the start??????
I am starting from the beginning, so I would say yes. The acting is very good, there's a kid in it and his acting is very good so that gives you an idea about the quality of direction and production. I think it is going to be a winner. I just started episode 2 and it is grabbing me and pulling me in. I really like Game of Thrones. I was watching Talking Dead the other night and they mentioned Game of Thrones and then Viking, since I like both of the former I decided to investigate Viking. Like others here have mentioned... it's good.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I am starting from the beginning, so I would say yes. The acting is very good, there's a kid in it and his acting is very good so that gives you an idea about the quality of direction and production. I think it is going to be a winner. I just started episode 2 and it is grabbing me and pulling me in. I really like Game of Thrones. I was watching Talking Dead the other night and they mentioned Game of Thrones and then Viking, since I like both of the former I decided to investigate Viking. Like others here have mentioned... it's good.

Thanks and will record.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I just finished episode 2.

I'm hooked!!!

Thanks for all the input!!!

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
I am a big Bernard Cornwell fan and he has a series called The Saxon Chronicles. It is about the Viking invasions of Britain. The books were so good so when this series came up last year I watched every one and was not disappointed.

Have you read Cornwell's Sharpe series set during the Napoleonic Wars? Pretty good stuff.