Video: Kids react to interracial Cheerios commercial

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I think these kids are amazing. They give me hope!!

The Fine Bros. are one of YouTube’s popular content creators. They run a series called ‘Kids React’ showing children reacting to various viral videos.

This week’s choice? The now-infamous interracial family Cheerios commercial.
While the videos chosen for the kids to view are typically laugh-inducing, this week’s material was a little different and prompted a disclaimer, a first for the series.

“This episode of Kids React will discuss the sensitive subject of racism and its impact on individuals, families and the world at large,” the disclaimer says.

“The opinions of children about these issues can give incredibly valuable insight into where our society really is and where we are headed as people.”

As you’ll see in the video, getting a reaction out of the kids proved difficult this time around.
Not because they were concerned about speaking openly about such a sensitive and incendiary topic – but because they simply had no idea why Cheerios commercial would upset anyone.

Video: Kids react to interracial Cheerios commercial | WTKR.com

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
kids get it, they are closer to home

Sometimes I look at things like that and I miss the innocence, you know? I look at that commercial and I notice the inter-racial family, not because it bothers me or I have any kind of issue with it, but because I've experienced that other people do. I loved that the kids had to be told why and I miss that a little bit.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Sometimes I look at things like that and I miss the innocence, you know? I look at that commercial and I notice the inter-racial family, not because it bothers me or I have any kind of issue with it, but because I've experienced that other people do. I loved that the kids had to be told why and I miss that a little bit.
yes I think I know what you mean, sometimes I feel so jaded, they were just so surprised and shocked because in their little world they had not experienced such yet, they just love everyone because a human is a human... although I think the one kid had experienced prejudice with his friends and that bothered me, I think he was smart enough to cover it and that is sad.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
yes I think I know what you mean, sometimes I feel so jaded, they were just so surprised and shocked because in their little world they had not experienced such yet, they just love everyone because a human is a human...

I'd beg to differ only in that I'd say their world is actually the larger one. It's once prejudice and bigotry start to worm it's way it that the world gets narrower and much smaller. Just a perspective thing.

although I think the one kid had experienced prejudice with his friends and that bothered me, I think he was smart enough to cover it and that is sad.

There were two that kind of alluded to it, both of the boys seemed to be older, perhaps 12 or so.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I think their worlds are both large and small. Large in that they know there is a lot of stuff around they have to discover yet and the possibilities and potentials are endless, and small in that they haven't discovered much yet.
That one girl that looked like she was about to cry looked young teenish. Anyway, on second viewing of the vid, it seemed as if the kids were either cherry picked or else the producers of the vid edited out the kids that weren't saying the right things.

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I think their worlds are both large and small. Large in that they know there is a lot of stuff around they have to discover yet and the possibilities and potentials are endless, and small in that they haven't discovered much yet.

True, like I said it's a matter of perspective. And it may be a mark of just how jaded I really am that I find it sad that kids move from endless possibilities and potentials into a world where so many narrow, rigid views can place limits where there should be none. Can those limits be surpassed? Absolutely, hope in itself is never completely lost, at least I would hope so.;)

But wouldn't it be great to have a world where all our kids could only expand upon their innocent and inexperienced world instead of throwing up hurdles?