The Beauty of Trees: The Aesthetics of Aboriculture

miecka

Jul 30, 2013
Trees aren't necessarily something we pay attention to every day. For most of us, they are probably one of the last items on our minds as we go about our busy modern lives. We know we enjoy having them in our cities or parks. We pay some attention when the words 'sustainability' and the 'environment' are thrown around: we are mildly alarmed and wonder whether we should be cutting down quite that many trees down in Brazilian rainforests. We are aware they are vital: in high school science and farther back into grade school we learned that we breathe with the trees in a symbiotic relationship.

Slow down. Is that really all there is to our trees? They are certainly useful and vital. They provide the raw material for all sorts of items necessary to industry. Especially in Canada, where various raw natural materials drive a huge part of our economy, it is easy to think of trees in purely economic terms. In Alberta, it is even easier; some of us our adamantly against the industry that damages huge expanses of forest, and others see it as a necessary sacrifice.

In some manner or other, the trees we depend on, or clear away, help us drive our lives ever faster as we continue to fill up our days with task upon task that allows us to be more productive, so that we can create more products that we can then work more to afford to buy and consume. Ad infinitum, we repeat the process in a never-ending cycle. Trees become a means to an ever more consumptive end, as we try to keep speed with the fast-paced society of our own making in order to gain some better standard of living that never seems to be quite in reach.

But maybe there is more to trees than this. If we stopped to even look at the trees in our own backyards, maybe we would learn a few lessons. Possibly those lessons may even address some of the overwhelming ‘bigger than just myself’problems of economy and environment and a society whose fast pace is outrunning itself into the ground. Trees are really quite beautiful; we miss them most when they are not around. I have worked before in a greenhouse and always enjoyed the beauty of plants and flowers and gardening. But it was not until I discovered the practice of Aboriculture (the maintenance and care of individual trees for the health, structure, safety, and aesthetics of the trees) that I took the time to really think about what it meant to have trees around us. To pay attention to the trees that I bike past every day.

If we do not take the time to appreciate the beauty of what we already have, we may lose it. But if we did take the time to appreciate it, maybe it would mean less of what we don’t actually need. Those products that we don’t really need to buy, that stress our lives to the breaking point, that create the need for that car, so we can purchase that new widget that will help us do everything more efficiently. And then maybe we’ll have time to relax: but, oh wait, look at the problems we’ve created developing those widgets. I guess we’ll have to fix them first. Maybe if we just spent the time in the first place to sit out back and enjoy the trees and the sun and the birds we wouldn’t be constantly driving ourselves and our societies into the ground. At least, it might be a start. Maybe we don’t need quite as many of those products as we thought we did.

So perhaps it’s time to appreciate the real value of trees. The value that allows us to sit back and think about what we really do value. To clean up the backyard, clean up our cities and make them a beautiful and pleasant place to rest, instead of go, go, go. Rake out the leaves, plant the flowers, and trim up the scraggly spruce you never really noticed before, aside from when its needles were getting into your gutters. Ask an arborist for help: they know what it means to take care of your trees. Sit back with your favourite beverage and take the time to slow down without your new expensive mobile device; leave it somewhere inside where it’s not going to bother your relaxing. Let’s appreciate the beauty of our trees.

**By the way: if you’re interested in making your trees look even prettier (yes, it's definitely possible...a little pruning and shaping goes a long way) you can check out how just one of the many local Canadian businesses who are passionate about trees go about their work: http://albertaarborists.com/

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I have always appreciated trees ever since I was a little girl helping my Dad water the trees he planted on our Sask farm. I myself have planted trees everywhere I've lived over the years and have a wide variety on my current property. I enjoyed reading your thoughts about trees, miecka.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
I saw the coolest thing in a magazine article some years back, I think it was in "Fine Homebuilding". This fellow had planted a circle of trees maybe four or five feet in diameter, the trees themselves spaced maybe ten or twelve inches apart. After they had become established, maybe a year, he measured up about a foot off the ground, skinned a little bit of bark off the opposing faces of each pair of trees and tied them to each other so that they would grow together at the barkless point. The next year he did the same thing again but with alternate pairs so that each tree in the first pair was now mated to the neighbouring pair. The next year he went back to the original pair and so one for a number of years until he had this beautiful latticework tree. At the time he wrote the article he had an even bigger one underway with a doorway "grown" into one side so you access a bench inside. It was wild.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
I've always loved maples. does anybody know if maple seeds can grow in a tropical climate? if anyone succeeds, please post the pics here. :) :cool:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I am actually short a half dozen big pine trees today. We had a forest fire right on the
back of the property, burned on shed to the ground, burned over my spray shed with
orchard chemicals and moved up the mountain. Fire started on my neighbor's property.
Trees are beautiful even when they candle in fire conditions. scarey but wild at the
same time. You really miss trees when the smoke clears and they are gone.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The National Memorial Arboretum in Alrewas, Staffordshire, is a nice place to visit if you like trees.

The National Memorial Arboretum "honours the fallen, recognises sacrifice and fosters pride in our country. It is a spiritually uplifting place and is emerging as a world-renowned centre for remembrance."

The Arboretum opened in 2001 and is home to 50,000 trees, with more being added every year. There are over 250 memorials and plots for the armed forces, civilian organisations and voluntary bodies who have played a part in serving the country; and even HMS Amethyst's cat.

At the heart of the arboretum is the Armed Forces Memorial (shown above), which is a tribute to over 16,000 service personnel who have lost their lives in conflict or as a result of terrorism since the end of the Second World War. Every one of their names is inscribed on two white walls in the centre of the memorial. The newest name on the wall is that of Drummer Lee Rigby. At 11 am on 11 November each year the sun shines through two slits in the outer and inner walls of the memorial, casting a shaft of light across a wreath in the centre.

Other memorials include:

Association of Jewish Ex-Service Men and Women

Berlin Airlift Monument

Boys' Brigade

Burma Railway

Polar Bear Memorial, in honour of the 49th Infantry West Riding Division who were stationed in Iceland during WWII. Britain was responsible for Iceland's defence.

Royal National Lifeboat Institute (RNLI). To honour the RNLI, which has saved countless lives off our islands' coast

Shot at Dawn. During the First World War some 306 British and Commonwealth soldiers were shot for desertion or cowardice; the real cause for their offences was often a psychological reaction to the stresses of war which today would be diagnosed as post-traumatic stress syndrome or combat stress reaction.

Stillbirth and Neonatal Death Society (SANDS) Garden. The SANDS Garden is for bereaved parents.

The National Memorial Arboretum

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Trees are just big weeds that have mastered frakking the Earth's resources for profit.

Forests are Mega Corporations damaging the planet beyond repair.

Grab your axe and let's fix this problem before the Corporate forests overrun our farmland and steal our food.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Trees are just big weeds that have mastered frakking the Earth's resources for profit.

Forests are Mega Corporations damaging the planet beyond repair.

Grab your axe and let's fix this problem before the Corporate forests overrun our farmland and steal our food.

'A weed is just a plant whose virtues are waiting to be discovered.'

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Petros sometimes the trees retaliate they set themselves on fire like they did at
my place and scare the hell out of you, you don't realize how big a tree is till it
candles in flames before your eyes

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I've always loved maples. does anybody know if maple seeds can grow in a tropical climate? if anyone succeeds, please post the pics here. :) :cool:
Ever heard the term "invasive species"?

I am actually short a half dozen big pine trees today. We had a forest fire right on the
back of the property, burned on shed to the ground, burned over my spray shed with
orchard chemicals and moved up the mountain. Fire started on my neighbor's property.
Trees are beautiful even when they candle in fire conditions. scarey but wild at the
same time. You really miss trees when the smoke clears and they are gone.

scary stuff grumpy, I'm glad you're okay.
Ditto.