Swamp People Premiered in Australia Last Night:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Well we saw the commercials for the show for the last month or so, constantly showing how backwards, redneck, inbred & dumb they seemed to be on the show and it looked like it was going to be pretty damn funny.......

..... and all it was, was Deadliest Catch in the Swamp, following a few different guys boating around in the swamp hunting "Gat'rs" and selling them. Talk about false advertisement, geez.

Big frigging deal. It wasn't funny, it was just the same old same old reality US fishing/logging/trucking show.

What a disappointment.

Granted, it was educational to some extent, talking about why they hunt them, how much money they get from the hunt, how there are limited licenses given out during a limited period of time in the year, how it's to keep their population down before it explodes and causes all sorts of problems, etc..... and reminded me a lot of the annual seal hunt here in Canada. They showed how they trapped them, how they killed them, explained how they sell the meat and skins, which the skins are quite a fetch of money in the leather industry, especially the larger 'Gaters..... yet I wouldn't exactly consider how they hunt them to be very humane compared to other similar types of hunts. They bait them with large hooks the day before, then the next day they check their traps and then try & haul them towards the boat and have a spot behind the head the size of a quarter they have to shoot a bullet through to kill them, which sometimes isn't very accurate and sometimes doesn't actually kill them entirely and thus a second or third shot is required.

Which got me to thinking.... Maybe Canada should make a similar show about the Seal hunt and what they have to go through when it comes to hunting them.

I can already imagine the amount of animal rights activists trying to stop it from airing.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Those guys are tough, i bet that one old guy who has really bad english would buckle most of your skulls with his bare hands!

I've heard super human strength does come from inbreeding.

Ok ok... that was harsh and uncalled for, I apologize..... all in all, they do seem to be somewhat well-rounded, friendly folk. I did notice in the episode last night one of them had a bit of a western canadian accent, which I find comes from a blend of french/north american english.

Speaking of which (as a bit of a tangent), At work a couple of days ago, a lady from Ireland who moved here to Australia walked in and asked me if I was commonly mistaken as Irish due to my accent, as she has been mistaken as Canadian due to her Irish accent.

I was a bit confused but then I thought about it, Atlantic Canada does have a bit more of a celtic twang to our accents then most of the rest of Canada..... and since Cajuns came from here, some of that would trickle down to there.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
As you likely know Praxius,Upper Canadians think we have an accent,a Newfie friend of mine,when I was in ottawa,made up words to confuse and entertain folks,actually got him laid a lot.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
What a disappointment.

What did you expect? The show is Swamp People and it is a bunch of Cajuns on flat bottom boats catching gators.

Which got me to thinking.... Maybe Canada should make a similar show about the Seal hunt and what they have to go through when it comes to hunting them.

I can already imagine the amount of animal rights activists trying to stop it from airing.

I actually think you're on to something. Whale Wars is pretty exciting I think. I love watching the bumbling crews of the Steve Irwin and Bob Barker make mistake after mistake and get outclassed on the high seas by the Japanese Whaling Fleet. It provides great comedy.

I would bet that someday there will be a show on the Seal Hunt. Not actually following the Sealers but the ones trying to stop the Seal Hunt.