Ryan Dunn, star of 'Jackass,' dies at 34 in a car accident in Pennsylvania

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Ryan Dunn, star of 'Jackass,' dies at 34 in a car accident in Pennsylvania

"In the hours before he fatally crashed his Porsche 911 GT3, "Jackass" star Ryan Dunn, 34, was chugging down beer - and, according to one report, three shots of liquor.

He even posted a picture of his boozing on Twitter.

Just how drunk he may have been when he got behind the wheel of his car after leaving a Pennsylvania bar just after 2 a.m. early Monday was unclear.

Dunn had been drinking at Barnaby's of America in West Chester, Penn., the bar's manager Jim O'Brien told The Daily News.

The burly star had only "a couple Coronas" and seemed fine to drive when he left.

"I wouldn't call it partying," said O'Brien. "Ryan wasn't one of the wild guys you would see on 'Jackass.' He never really got drunk here. He was always just quiet and did his own thing."

But TMZ.com said that Dunn was "wasted" and also knocking back shots.

O'Brien denied Dunn was too far gone to drive.

"The manager talked to him before he left," O'Brien continued. "We would have stopped him if he had too many drinks. What happened was a tragic accident."

Hours before the car accident, Ryan Dunn posted this photo of himself drinking at a party.

The Twitpic Dunn posted showed him drinking with two other pals.

Cops found the car engulfed in flames, a twisted heap of metal, in a wooded area over the guardraill off Route 322 in West Goshen township.

A second, unidentified passenger was also killed. Both bodies were badly burned, said cops, who are investigating if speed play a role in the accident. First responders were only able to identify Dunn by his tattoos.

"Jackass" creator Johnny Knoxville, who discovered Dunn and co-star Bam Margera when they were just young skateboarders was stunned by the tragedy.

"Today I lost my brother Ryan Dunn," he posted on Twitter. "My heart goes out to his family and his beloved Angie RIP Ryan, I love you buddy."

Jeff Tremaine, another co-creator of "Jackass," echoed Knoxville's words: "I feel like I lost a brother," he told the News. "Ryan Dunn was family and we are all deeply devastated."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
40 yrds before being caught by the last tree, I assume they would have survived. Is this a story of success not being all that great or is it a live hard/die young story?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
"The police source also confirmed the name of the passenger who was killed in the wreck, 30-year-old Zachary Hartwell of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Though Hartwell was not a member of the "Jackass" crew, he is listed as a production assistant on the second "Jackass" movie and was reportedly a recently married Iraq war veteran who had a small role in the Bam Margera-directed 2009 movie "Minghags." Hartwell is credited on IMDb as a "car stunt driver" on the film."

Ryan Dunn's Passenger ID'd As Investigation Continues - Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV

I found it interesting that anyone would feel the need, as Roger Ebert did, to take a poke at the friends and family, who already paid the ultimate price if he was indeed drunk, to tell them how they should have stopped him from driving. Does he really think that they don't know that? That he needs to put his sanctimonious two cents in after the fact? What a lack of empathy.