Introducing the new Wii U

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Looks to be a decent console. I love the new controller with the 6" LCD, which you can use as a portable gaming device is you so choose.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I think this is going to be a hit like Wii was - but I'd like to see some more software. There is a lot of potential, but they need the games.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The games will come as people snap up the consoles.

I hope so.

They're marketing this thing with the scope of pleasing both the casual players and the 'hardcore'. I'd love to see an RTS type game (like Starcraft) where you could use the tablet as an overhead map to control your units and the TV shows the real-world output.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I think this is going to be a hit like Wii was - but I'd like to see some more software. There is a lot of potential, but they need the games.

It's a whole other beast when compared to the Wii, in my opinion. I can guarantee you that there will be more software now due to it sharing similar or better capabilities as the 360 & PS3. Developers can now design a game with all 3 consoles in mind, without having to make significant modifications due to a hardware disparity.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I hope so.

They're marketing this thing with the scope of pleasing both the casual players and the 'hardcore'. I'd love to see an RTS type game (like Starcraft) where you could use the tablet as an overhead map to control your units and the TV shows the real-world output.

That would be pretty good! Is that skype connectivity in the controller providing the video calls?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I wonder how long before the PS3 has an equivalent controller out? Would it require all new hardware, or are they set up to have something like this communicate already?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I wonder how long before the PS3 has an equivalent controller out? Would it require all new hardware, or are they set up to have something like this communicate already?

Well, Sony has their new handheld device coming out which has some control capability but really doesn't compare with the Nintendo one.

I don't think Sony would have to build a new system to have a similar controller to Nintendo but it would require a hefty code addition + additions to the SDK(software development kit), not to mention, getting developers to sign on for it as well. In all likelihood, Sony will probably gauge the market response to Nintendo's system and plan from there, most likely in a new system.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I would love a controller like the Nintendo one for my PS3 as well, don't get me wrong. I'll probably just buy the Nintendo system ;)

I can't afford to just buy the new systems... lol. Besides, all my components are black right now, it would clash! lol.