Net Flicks Anyone?

sweetsymphony

May 13, 2011
I was just wondering how many of you have Net Flicks. I'm thinking about getting it but I know I'll have to switch my ISP before I do. Is it worth it? how's the selection? do they have up to date HBO series?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I've subscribed to netflix since it became available in Canada. At first the selection was rather limited but it has expanded quite a bit.

At this point though, it's not a replacement for cable or satellite as it doesn't have all the latest and greatest. For me needs, I use Netflix + Torrents and I get all my shows.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I use Netflix, but the US version. Since I'm in Europe, I have to hook everything up through a VPN which works great. It's not the cheapest, but I get to watch House M.D. on Hulu = )

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I use Netflix, but the US version. Since I'm in Europe, I have to hook everything up through a VPN which works great. It's not the cheapest, but I get to watch House M.D. on Hulu = )

You're lucky. I wish I could get Hulu but since I am in Canada I am S.O.L. I wanted to watch some of the Season 3 A-Team episodes that were on a bad DVD(a friend lent it to me, and the disc just "died") but I could not find them anywhere(since Hulu was not an option). I wonder if they will ever allow Canadians access sometime in the future?

sweetsymphony

May 13, 2011
I've subscribed to netflix since it became available in Canada. At first the selection was rather limited but it has expanded quite a bit.

At this point though, it's not a replacement for cable or satellite as it doesn't have all the latest and greatest. For me needs, I use Netflix + Torrents and I get all my shows.
I was at a friends on the weekend they had Net flicks so I got to check out the selection. Not too shabby there are some great documentaries. No sign of Californication or Bored to Death so I'll have to stick to my Cable Movie package for now..but I may end up getting it just for the documentaries alone.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I was just wondering how many of you have Net Flicks. I'm thinking about getting it but I know I'll have to switch my ISP before I do. Is it worth it? how's the selection? do they have up to date HBO series?

I get Netflix and finished watching the last season of Six Feet Under.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I don't watch TV, so for 8 bucks I find it worth it.

Man vs. Wild (season 2) looks really nice in HD.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The Canadian play list sucks. And, hubby has discovered, if you want to watch risque movies on Netflix, yuo might want to consider which e-mail address you set the account up with. Because it WILL e-mail you after each movie to ask how the picture quality was, and your wife WILL tease you mercilessly about your choice in movies while she's out of the house. lol.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
The Canadian play list sucks. And, hubby has discovered, if you want to watch risque movies on Netflix, yuo might want to consider which e-mail address you set the account up with. Because it WILL e-mail you after each movie to ask how the picture quality was, and your wife WILL tease you mercilessly about your choice in movies while she's out of the house. lol.

Poor Mulk. Can't even watch his pron.;) LOL!

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

Well, the playlist is a matter of personal preference. I like the documentaries and movies from the 80's & 90's, which there is no shortage of. If you are looking for a service to replace your cable in entirety, this isn't it, for now anyways.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well, the playlist is a matter of personal preference. I like the documentaries and movies from the 80's & 90's, which there is no shortage of. If you are looking for a service to replace your cable in entirety, this isn't it, for now anyways.

I have Telus Optik TV with DVR, video on demand, and the subscription to Movie Central, which includes free VOD of many of their movies, especially the artsy films and documentaries. Plus with a great search function, I can hunt down and record most movies I might want to see. Might not be as 'on demand' as NetFlix, but the selection is broader I find.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I have Telus Optik TV with DVR, video on demand, and the subscription to Movie Central, which includes free VOD of many of their movies, especially the artsy films and documentaries. Plus with a great search function, I can hunt down and record most movies I might want to see. Might not be as 'on demand' as NetFlix, but the selection is broader I find.

I hear ya, Netflix doesn't hold a 10'th of the distributions as cable, satellite etc. Just the presence of Netflix though is causing cable/satellite to add the sort of features you speak of, the days of paying just for a cable signal and that's it are over, thankfully.

Do you ever check out the Film Board of Canada site, Karrie? They have a massive library of Canadian films/documentaries etc that are available for streaming, I'm quite impressed with it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I hear ya, Netflix doesn't hold a 10'th of the distributions as cable, satellite etc. Just the presence of Netflix though is causing cable/satellite to add the sort of features you speak of, the days of paying just for a cable signal and that's it are over, thankfully.

Do you ever check out the Film Board of Canada site, Karrie? They have a massive library of Canadian films/documentaries etc that are available for streaming, I'm quite impressed with it.

No, I hadn't, thanks for telling me about it. One of the things I love most about Movie Central is discovering Canadian flicks I wouldn't have otherwise, or documentaries that I've never heard of. I caught the documentary 'Catfish' yesterday, have you seen it?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
No, I hadn't, thanks for telling me about it. One of the things I love most about Movie Central is discovering Canadian flicks I wouldn't have otherwise, or documentaries that I've never heard of. I caught the documentary 'Catfish' yesterday, have you seen it?

No, I haven't seen it, maybe I'll look it up. Thanks

I watch the NFB stuff quite a bit. I hate TV.

The NFB site is great, such a wealth of content to watch at any moment.