In superhero gender bend, Marvel unveils Thor as a woman

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Reuters
First posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 03:57 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 04:10 PM EDT
Comic book superhero character Thor, who first appeared in 1962 and is based on the Norse hammer-wielding god, will now be a woman, publisher Marvel Comics said on Tuesday.
The publisher said the female Thor is an effort to bring new readers and to appeal to women and girls, whom Marvel said have long been ignored in comics.
It will be the biggest change to its three largest comic characters, Captain America, Iron Man and Thor, according to Marvel.
"This is not She-Thor," Jason Aaron, the writer of the new "Thor" series, said in a statement. "This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is Thor."
The new series will debut in October and be illustrated by Russell Dauterman.
"Thor," which was created by comic book writer Stan Lee, has also been the subject of two blockbuster films. The movies, which have grossed $1.1 billion at the global box office, star Australian actor Chris Hemsworth as Thor.
Courtesy of Marvel

In superhero gender bend, Marvel unveils Thor as a woman | Books | Entertainment

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
My wife told me about this a few hours ago.

Seriously, Odin must be spinning.

They couldn't, you know..... Think up a new character that was female?

Originality is truly in the crapper these days.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Another sign of the times. I bet she's a lesbian paraplegic Muslim, as well.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Reuters
First posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 03:57 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 04:10 PM EDT
Comic book superhero character Thor, who first appeared in 1962 and is based on the Norse hammer-wielding god, will now be a woman, publisher Marvel Comics said on Tuesday.
The publisher said the female Thor is an effort to bring new readers and to appeal to women and girls, whom Marvel said have long been ignored in comics.
It will be the biggest change to its three largest comic characters, Captain America, Iron Man and Thor, according to Marvel.
"This is not She-Thor," Jason Aaron, the writer of the new "Thor" series, said in a statement. "This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is Thor."
The new series will debut in October and be illustrated by Russell Dauterman.
"Thor," which was created by comic book writer Stan Lee, has also been the subject of two blockbuster films. The movies, which have grossed $1.1 billion at the global box office, star Australian actor Chris Hemsworth as Thor.
Courtesy of Marvel

In superhero gender bend, Marvel unveils Thor as a woman | Books | Entertainment

I think rather than garnering more female readers (and there are plenty of them out there), this will just turn off a lot of the Thor fans. I am not a fan of moves like this. Create a new character for crying out loud. There are many empowered (not just superpowered) female characters out there. They don't need to start changing male characters into female characters for the sake of a twist. If it was a temporary thing (it's happened before in comics) then it would be a different story. I have a feeling that this won't last long and it will end up being revealed as a trick or something else.

Actually, I know that one of the things in the Marvel universe is a whole in the fabric of time (due to actions in the Age Of Ultron event from a few months back) which has caused characters to bleed into the "main" reality (which is deemed 616 I believe), such as Spider Man from the series Spider Man 2099 from a few years ago. If this isn't what is going on, and the backlash against this happens as I believe it will, then it will at least give them an excuse to use if they have to change Thor back into a guy.