Stephen Hawking warns we ‘should be wary of answering’ aliens

spaminator
Stephen Hawking warns we ‘should be wary of answering’ aliens
Postmedia Network
First posted: Friday, September 23, 2016 01:47 PM EDT | Updated: Friday, September 23, 2016 03:13 PM EDT
Stephen Hawking's latest theories on outer space life forms sound like they’re straight out of M. Night Shyamalan's Signs.
The physicist and full-time genius says if we announce our presence to a much more technologically-savvy alien race, it could be the end of life as we know it.
The frightening claims were made on the 25-minute program Stephen Hawking’s Favorite Places on CuriosityStream (external - login to view), an online video-on-demand platform.
"If intelligent life has evolved, we should be able to hear it," Hawking says, while hovering over the exoplanet in the animated U.S.S. Hawking. "One day we might receive a signal from a planet like this, but we should be wary of answering back. Meeting an advanced civilization could be like Native Americans encountering Columbus. That didn't turn out so well."
It's not the first time Hawking has made statements to this effect. On Discovery Channel's 2010 documentary Stephen Hawking's Universe, he said the exact same thing.
Stephen Hawking warns we ‘should be wary of answering’ aliens | World | News | T

Tecumsehsbones
+1
It's OK. We could always Terrexit.

Cliffy
An old medicine man once told me, "If you see an alien space craft, run like hell. We have no idea if they are benevolent or not."

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

An old medicine man once told me, "If you see an alien space craft, run like hell. We have no idea if they are benevolent or not."

I thought that was "sailing ship."

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

I thought that was "sailing ship."

Curiously, they are the same word in Navajo.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

Curiously, they are the same word in Navajo.

Yeah, and it's the same word as "trouble."

Johnnny
Announce our presence? Please for a smart guy he is naive, because aliens who are technologically ahead of us already know we are here!!!

Think our Kepler telescope x1000.

Curious Cdn
I would like to know what the Beothuk word for "sailing ship" is but, .... you know ...

Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

Announce our presence? Please for a smart guy he is naive, because aliens who are technologically ahead of us already know we are here!!!

Probably.

They're watching Elly Mae's critters swimming in the seement pond, fifty light years out.

MHz

Not true at all, even their prophecies speak of a 'judgement day'. That would apply to the Apollo crew more than beings from space.

Carl Sagon kind of blew that away when he sent a few probes out that have our exact location and some other tid-bits such as we have a big body and a small head (brain).

Angstrom
For a smart guy, He doesn't impress me at all. Consider that what we see in the night sky is the light from stars from many billion years ago. For all we know most of those stars are already dead. A message we receive today would have been sent many billions of years earlier.

Not bright at all. But at least he can spell right?

MHz
'Right' isn't such a difficullt word.

Curious Cdn
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by AngstromView Post

For a smart guy, He doesn't impress me at all. Consider that what we see in the night sky is the light from stars from many billion years ago. For all we know most of those stars are already dead. A message we receive today would have been sent many billions of years earlier.

Not bright at all. But at least he can spell right?

Well, Angsrom thinks that Steven Hawking is "not too bright"

Drinky-poo time.

MHz
Not to worry once you take the source into consideration. Steve has come out with some good stuff once he stopped being a globe trotter.

Johnnny

I would like to know what the Beothuk word for "sailing ship" is but, .... you know ...

Probably.

They're watching Elly Mae's critters swimming in the seement pond, fifty light years out.

Negative on the probably ghost rider.

Our main sequence star screams, "look at me"

darkbeaver
+1
Thanks Steve.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

Not true at all, even their prophecies speak of a 'judgement day'.

Not sure where you got that from. Haven't run across that "prophecy" before. Most talk about new beginnings and a return to a sacred attitude toward all life.

MHz
Here is one example.

httpwwwyoutubecomwatchvZEzpP7L25tI

darkbeaver
Aliens? Undocumented Aliens?

Curious Cdn
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

Aliens? Undocumented Aliens?

We'll build a wall out in the Kuiper Belt and make the Reptilians pay for it!

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

Here is one example.

httpwwwyoutubecomwatchvZEzpP7L25tI

Yes but it said the 5th world would begin. We are on the verge of a new paradigm and the old ways will become obsolete. That includes all the old religions that people still cling to, not just the Hopi.

darkbeaver
+2
#21  Top Rated Post
That's a big wall isn't it? I think it would be cheaper just to not talk to them. If we had a choice.

I hope it's not those fukkin giants again.

Curious Cdn
+1

Yes but it said the 5th world would begin. We are on the verge of a new paradigm and the old ways will become obsolete. That includes all the old religions that people still cling to, not just the Hopi.

No Hopi?

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

That's a big wall isn't it? I think it would be cheaper just to not talk to them. If we had a choice.

I hope it's not those fukkin giants again.

They can't be much worse that the legions of psychopaths running the show now.

No Hopi?

In the new paradigm all of humanity will be One tribe.

Curious Cdn

They might view us the same way that we look at pigs, cattle, chickens ...

Cliffy

They might view us the same way that we look at pigs, cattle, chickens ...

That is possible, since I think they genetically engineered us a long time ago and we are now ripe for the harvest.

Curious Cdn

In the new paradigm all of humanity will be One tribe.

The Fukowies ...

Tecumsehsbones

The Fukowies ...

Nah, the Wa-Na-Bes. And Cliffy'll be the Big Chief.

Cliffy
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Nah, the Wa-Na-Bes. And Cliffy'll be the Big Chief.

Machjo
Trump won't welcome any alien life forms until he knows what the hell is going on.

Ludlow
I liked that Marvin the Martian little alien on the Bugs Bunny cartoon.