scaffold builder going to fort mac, help please

azezzo

Jan 7, 2010
chicago
ok I am a carpenter/scaffold builder from chicago and i am supposedly going to be getting a job building scaffold up at fort mac, hopefully taking 2 carpenters with me, they will fly me up there but wonder if i would be better off driving up there instead, i have a newer 4x4 truck diesel. So do i need a car up there or should i leave it at home.
how much is diesel up there per gallon? are things in the stores more expensive up there, being that its in the middle of no where? any and all info/advice would be appreciated, i am supposed to go up next month.

thanks

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Diesels less then a buck a liter and I would take my truck but thats just me,You'll find most Albertans have a love for their trucks.:p

It is a boom town so expect prices to be higher then other big citys and I hope they are providing accomodation or you will be sleeping in your truck or shelling out 200 bucks for a hotel room.

azezzo

Jan 7, 2010
chicago
do you know if i really need a vehicle, if i am going to stay in camp, and or will they let me bring a vehicle into camp?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Diesels less then a buck a liter and I would take my truck but thats just me,You'll find most Albertans have a love for their trucks.:p

It is a boom town so expect prices to be higher then other big citys and I hope they are providing accomodation or you will be sleeping in your truck or shelling out 200 bucks for a hotel room.

Maybe a guy should go up there and build a motel..............:lol:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'm still trying to figure out why they might need another wood butcher/scaffold builder/carpenter in Fort Mac Murray. I wouldn't think that would be a speciallty in great demand.

azezzo

Jan 7, 2010
chicago
Scaffold builder, get a job in the United States. They still have the death penalty.

Or China.

if i could get a decent carpenters job in the U.S. I wouldnt be coming north, but things being what they are, I cant wait to come, I have an electrician buddy going to Afghanastan to work because he cant find a union job.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
be happy to build whatever is needed:lol:

Azezzom, I don't know the nature of your work arrangement, but if you are responsible for the cost of food and lodging, you might want to double check your rate of pay.

Just called my brother in law down in the Crowsnest Pass...he's an electrician who works 1 week on, 1 week off up near Fort Mac. He - like Kakato - is quite familiar with Fort Mac and has worked up there for many years. He mentioned something about "a cot in a basement for a thousand bucks a week", which would more or less fall in line with what Kakato said about the cost of lodging. It's high.

I don't know about the cost of food...brother in law is at a camp out in the boonies where meals are supplied. But I have heard it's pretty expensive in town.

Converting Kakato's prices on diesel, a "gallon" (U.S.) would work out to somewhere just under $4.00 Cdn, if I'm not mistaken.

If I were you, I wouldn't be hesitating to check this all out with whoever is hiring you, as some folks have ended up leaving Fort Mac in disappointment when the cost of being there is higher than what they're getting paid, or at least very close to it. It's a bit of a "different" place.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I'm wondering, with Alberta have over 7% unemployment right now, why the hell someone is importing americans to work here.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
If he brings his truck, maybe he could bring a camping trailer with him? Are there lots vacant or are they all spoken for as well?

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
well i appreciate all who have made me feel welcome.

Azezzo, Don't let it get to you. I realize that many Canadians - if asked - would tell you that a key part of our "national identity" is that of a caring, loving, and tolerant society that welcomes people from all over the world. However, sometimes we forget our manners and make all kinds of remarks that aren't necessarily caring, loving, or tolerant. Don't ask me why, but that's what we do, now and again. I guess we're just humans.

But so are you. You're just trying to make a living and that's pretty normal. I have worked in the U.S. in the past and I really loved it. I hope it all works out for you. Good luck!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Azezzo, Don't let it get to you. I realize that many Canadians - if asked - would tell you that a key part of our "national identity" is that of a caring, loving, and tolerant society that welcomes people from all over the world. However, sometimes we forget our manners and make all kinds of remarks that aren't necessarily caring, loving, or tolerant. Don't ask me why, but that's what we do, now and again. I guess we're just humans.

of course...we should be "good" Canadians and bend over politely.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
we're not talking about an immigrant here....we're talking about someone coming here, taking a job away from a Canadian, make the money then back to the states.....it's called a leech.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
we're not talking about an immigrant here....we're talking about someone coming here, taking a job away from a Canadian, make the money then back to the states.....it's called a leech.

That's an assumption, Gerry. You don't know the circumstances of his employment and neither do I. I do assume it's a legal arrangement or else he won't be able to get past the border.

And, I don't think the term "leech" is appropriate anyway. He's working for his money, he's not coming here to "rob" anyone! You know the arrangment, I'm sure - a fair day's pay for an honest day's work.

By the way, using your analogy, there are lots of Canadian "leeches" down in the U.S., stealing jobs away from Americans. I used to be one of them. And I wouldn't appreciate being called a leech - to my knowledge, I never was...in fact, I made a lot of good friends down there.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
If he brings his truck, maybe he could bring a camping trailer with him? Are there lots vacant or are they all spoken for as well?

Yes but the campgrounds are very expensive,most of my buds that went there when the mines here went for a crap do quite well because they bought a house and rent out the rooms for $1000.00 a month.

Diesels a buck a liter,not gallon but it's still cheaper then gas.
They are advertising for scaffolders so their must be a shortage,lots of easterners went home and wont be back untill the stamps run out.