Help me! English family in Edmonton

clem

Dec 21, 2009
Hi there, myself, Husband and two boys have just moved here from the South of England. I have never been to Canada before and am completely out of my depth and homesick! My husband goes to work through the week, sometimes staying away and I am at home with a two year old and four month old. Please help me find some things to do for all of us, I am going out of my mind at home. I am used to being able to go out for walks and visit people but we are completely alone and I don't know anybody. We are living in Sherwood Park and any advice would be gratefully received
Thank you

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
There are lots of lovely people here to become friends with. One of them also lives in Edmonton. Karrie is her name here. There are probably more, too.
You might try some groups of people who have similar interests as you. Most groups post webpages so it shouldn't be too hard to find one or more such groups. Welcome to CanCon, Clem. :)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Hi. Welcome.

I would suggest you get to know your neighbors. Edmonton is the city of the house party. In the Winter they do a lot of that.. It is going to be colder in the Winter and probably warmer in the Summer than what you are used to. Do you drive? If you don't drive, I would suggest you learn, maybe in the Summer. Driving on ice and snow can be a bit daunting until you are used to it. With a car you will be a lot more mobile and independent.. First though, get to know other people still in the diaper game, (in the same situation) and make some friends.

Cheers

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Hi there, and welcome! It must be a tough being in a new country especially during the holidays.

I googled Mom's groups in Sherwood Park and found several... this one had the most members that I could see so maybe that's a good place to start? It's a good place to start, and you could meet people who are sharing many of your same challenges and interests.

Here's the full listing of mom's groups from that page.

good luck and welcome again! :canada:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Welcome!

My advice would be to walk around your neighbourhood... but I imagine the weather is a bit daunting, and the snow makes getting out tough with little ones. I was pretty nervous to be out any length when my kids were under that 1 year mark. Moms groups and local rec centres are some of the best resources right now. I'm not sure what's closest to your place, or what mom's groups might be a good fit, but, they'd be my jumping off point. Good luck, and keep in touch so we know how you're doing.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
HI Clem, and welcome to Canada. With a 4 month old and 2 year old I'm surprised you would actually be looking for something to do,;-). I kinda still remember that, and mine were about that age when we first moved to the Edmonton area, (we lived in the country about 40 minutes North of the city), they kept us busy enough. Anyway, it can be a tough time of year to meet folks, mainly because they are too focused on getting ready for the holidays or just being out in the cold as little as possible. Like Karrie said, getting out for a walk with your kids and meeting other parents doing the same seems to work, (my kids are grown so we use the dog for that now :lol:). I don't know what the weather is like there right now, but usually the first warmish day after a cold snap is when folks come out like bees out of the hive.

We've moved around a lot too, it is difficult, expecially at this time of year, and your friends and family are far away, (and how's this for irony, I still live in Canada and I can get to London faster from here than I can to Edmonton). You haven't said yet if you are mobile or house bound. Being without a vehicle is really limiting. But hey, there's always this site, it can eat up your free time pretty quick. Let us know how you're doing. Cheers.:canada:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Hi Clem,
I also welcome you to Canada. I live a long ways away from you. Juan and I live in the same city in BC on Vancouver Isand so we do not experience the same weather as you do in Edmonton. I have family living in Sherwood Park but they are my age which is of no help to you. Sounds like many others here have some good advice for you to follow.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I find a great way to break into a community is to find an organization that is doing stuff that interests you and volunteer. A great way to meet people and contribute to the community. Much better to give than to receive. Better for the soul.
Have a great day.