Help me find Sober People

Erin8

Jun 17, 2009
www.sobermove.com
Hello,
I am looking for individuals living an alcohol and drug free lifestyle and am looking for ideas on where to find these people in Edmonton. Does anyone have any ideas on sober activities in and around the city?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
That lets me out; I am a life time abstainer of non alcoholic drinks. Just kidding, but I do enjoy alcohol.

But if you find alcohol free people anywhere, it is likely to be Alberta. Religious right is strong there, and religious right does not drink alcohol (at least in public). Now here in Ontario, we represent the den of iniquity, we are not pure, Godly people like the Albertans.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Those mormons don't drink or smoke in Edmonton. You'd think they would drink since they all have minimum of seven wives and more than thirty-five screaming kids each.

Erin8

Jun 17, 2009
www.sobermove.com
You're both right, there are many religious groups, however, not many of the churches I've contacted are as willing to chat as I thought they would be. It would be nice to reach these people outside of a church setting.

Erin8

Jun 17, 2009
www.sobermove.com
Well I started a website to help those who don't drink or do drugs find roommates. I thought religious groups would be a good place to inform people of this site that can help them. But got the cold shoulder from a few that I talked to. Some were very helpful, but there were a few that I couldn't believe worked in a church :)

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Piece of advice? Don't look for clean and sober in the AA or NA crowd. Experience has taught me the greater number have traded addictions or are just making an appearance.

Erin8

Jun 17, 2009
www.sobermove.com
That's kinda what gave me the idea for the website, then I realized that it would be useful to people who didn't drink or do drugs for various reasons (students, religious people). If people recovering from addictions aren't supported properly after treatment, ie: live in seclusion or with the wrong type of person, they definately are likely to fall back into old habbits.

Reactions: lone wolf

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Together, they're fine ... and very supportive of each other. Someone in recovery should never be paired with someone who has never been through the process. AA/NA is a lifestyle you have to live to understand.... Kudos to you!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If you could finagle your way into an AA's meeting that would probably be your best and surest bet or maybe better just to stand outside the door until they come out.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That lets me out; I am a life time abstainer of non alcoholic drinks. Just kidding, but I do enjoy alcohol.

But if you find alcohol free people anywhere, it is likely to be Alberta. Religious right is strong there, and religious right does not drink alcohol (at least in public). Now here in Ontario, we represent the den of iniquity, we are not pure, Godly people like the Albertans.

If the number of bars/pubs in Calgary and Edmonton is any indication, I doubt if Alberta is the place.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
If the number of bars/pubs in Calgary and Edmonton is any indication, I doubt if Alberta is the place.

So what is your point, JLM? There probably are many churches in Alberta as well; religious right is very strong in Alberta. Incidentally liberalman, it is not only Mormons that abstain from smoking and drinking. All of Fundamentalist Christianity frowns on smoking and drinking. It was the Fundamentalists who were responsible for bringing in the prohibition in USA.

Fundamentalists are very strong in Alberta. I remember we discussed the proportion of Fundamentalists in different provinces a while ago (I don’t remember if it was this forum or canada.com). Somebody dug up the statistics, and percentage of fundamentalists is the highest in Alberta, higher than any other province.

So there certainly are many people in Alberta who don’t drink. JLM, if you are saying that there are many bars in Alberta, I can only conclude that while there are a large number of people in Alberta who don’t drink, the rest drink even more than average to compensate for those who don’t.

Alberta must be a rather strange province, with many abstainers and many heavy drinkers.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Erin8, for alcohol free existence (I say existence because it sure isn't a life), become A POOR Muslim.

Rich Muslims enjoy booze just as much as any normal person does.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So what is your point, JLM? There probably are many churches in Alberta as well; religious right is very strong in Alberta. Incidentally liberalman, it is not only Mormons that abstain from smoking and drinking. All of Fundamentalist Christianity frowns on smoking and drinking. It was the Fundamentalists who were responsible for bringing in the prohibition in USA.

Fundamentalists are very strong in Alberta. I remember we discussed the proportion of Fundamentalists in different provinces a while ago (I don’t remember if it was this forum or canada.com). Somebody dug up the statistics, and percentage of fundamentalists is the highest in Alberta, higher than any other province.

So there certainly are many people in Alberta who don’t drink. JLM, if you are saying that there are many bars in Alberta, I can only conclude that while there are a large number of people in Alberta who don’t drink, the rest drink even more than average to compensate for those who don’t.

Alberta must be a rather strange province, with many abstainers and many heavy drinkers.

How much time have you actually spent in Alberta? I've spent a total of a couple of years there between living and visiting and all my kids have lived/worked in Alberta for a total of many years. Your assertioins about Alberta are bloody ridiculous. Albertans are exactly like people from B.C. or Saskatchewan. The employment opportunities in Alberta are in very demanding fields that require strength of character- oil production, farming, ranching and these people have a no nonsense attitude toward work and like a lot of workers like their grog when the shift is done. Drinking has nothing to do with religious or political orientation- that is just plain stupid, with perhaps the exception of Mennonites or Hutterites of which the population is very small. Calgary is basically a city of fun loving people who like to socialize and have a drink or two, sure some are drunks and a few are abstainers, but your tarring them all with the same brush is just downright ignorant. So my point was that with the bars, it's unlikely you will find a booze free population.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Drinking has nothing to do with religious or political orientation- that is just plain stupid, with perhaps the exception of Mennonites or Hutterites of which the population is very small.

Hutterites make the best wine.

There is four different groups (or sects) of Mennonites. Only one abstains.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Hutterites make the best wine.

There is four different groups (or sects) of Mennonites. Only one abstains.

Thanks, I wasn't certain which sects abstain from drinking I was just trying to give S.J. the benefit of the doubt. Seems to me some Mormons drink too, but maybe I'm wrong.