Oil Industry Entry Level Work PLEASE

sean9l0

Jun 14, 2008
Im a 20 year old highschool grad, no university. Lately ive been thinking of moving out west for about a year to do some work. Im a big guy, strong. Im looking for long hours, good pay and hard work.

Looking over the internet all night i've basically come up with alot of BS. If alberta is so strapt for workers, why is it nearly impossible for me to find opportunity's?

Can anyone out there give me some advice or direction that isnt BS on how to get moving and working in alberta???

I am from Nova Scotia looking to move out. I am unskilled but from friends i've heard they train you. I guess I want entry level work, something deacent tho. Upward of 25$ an hour-ish?

Websites? Links? Company names? Any useful information will be greatly appreciated. Im not fussy on the job, I just want some well earned cash.
Thank you for your time.

Jsan

Nominee Member
Apr 6, 2007
The reality is that allot of employers are totally fed up with the poor quality of workers who are flooding into this market. I have heard one bad story after another from contractors who just have no desire to put in any effort to employ or lure one more person from out of Province. They would rather be short workers than have to babysit someone.

dj03

Electoral Member
Oct 9, 2007
Calgary
Looking over the internet all night i've basically come up with alot of BS. If alberta is so strapt for workers, why is it nearly impossible for me to find opportunity's?

I work in finance in Calgary and know of one person who can't find anything outside of temp work and another who is fighting to keep his job from moving south of the border.

It is true that the Superstore up the street is offering $15.90 for nightshift workers, and that makes a great headline, but our economy is much more complex than the media makes it out to be.

Most of last year while the media reported massive profits for companies like Encana and Canadian Natural Resources, the majority of junior producers heavily weighted towards natural gas were taking heavy losses that have played out recently through CCAA filings and industry consolidation...of course, industry consolidation results in layoffs and so do CCAA filings.

I'm not saying the Alberta ecnonomy is in a bad state, it is just more complicated than I think a lot of people have been lead to believe.

I guess I want entry level work, something deacent tho. Upward of 25$ an hour-ish?

You aren't going to find entry level work for $25 an hour if you don't have skills that are in demand.

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
Im a 20 year old highschool grad, no university. Lately ive been thinking of moving out west for about a year to do some work. Im a big guy, strong. Im looking for long hours, good pay and hard work.

Can anyone out there give me some advice or direction that isnt BS on how to get moving and working in alberta???

I am from Nova Scotia looking to move out. I am unskilled but from friends i've heard they train you. I guess I want entry level work, something deacent tho. Upward of 25$ an hour-ish?

Websites? Links? Company names? Any useful information will be greatly appreciated. Im not fussy on the job, I just want some well earned cash.
Thank you for your time.
We need people who have some skills, surely you must have some skills, youv'e been out of high school for two or three years what have you been doing?(besides what twenty year olds usually do:lol:) You cannot expect to walk in the door of a company and get 25 bucks an hour, even second year welders only make about 20.00/hr- no one wants to spend upward of $30,000 to train you and then you go home in a year.My advice, get a trade ,work at it for a year or to then come out.

sean9l0

Jun 14, 2008
I have actually looked into getting in on a trade. There is actually a lot of local demand for trade's people (local being Nova Scotia/Atlantic Canada).

I pretty much gave up on the whole Oil idea. After i made this post, i went for about another week emailing companies, looking for some information. I didnt get any overly useful information back, nothing i could use at least.

If someone out there is reading this post and looking for what i was, you're not going to find anything if your not local to the region. For me to even be considered, I'd have to front some serious cash for training courses and classes. Also you need to work on getting a specialized license :S (just more hassle...)

Trades are where its at, your right :)

Thanks guys for the reply's, i really do appreciate them all :smile:

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I have actually looked into getting in on a trade. There is actually a lot of local demand for trade's people (local being Nova Scotia/Atlantic Canada).

I pretty much gave up on the whole Oil idea. After i made this post, i went for about another week emailing companies, looking for some information. I didnt get any overly useful information back, nothing i could use at least.

If someone out there is reading this post and looking for what i was, you're not going to find anything if your not local to the region. For me to even be considered, I'd have to front some serious cash for training courses and classes. Also you need to work on getting a specialized license :S (just more hassle...)

Trades are where its at, your right :)

Thanks guys for the reply's, i really do appreciate them all :smile:

Keep up the search. Do not get frustrated. It out there waiting for you. So make extra steps to find it.

Good Luck in Your Quest.
regards,
scratch

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
a friend of mine had to go to college for at least 3 years before he was accepted into the field your after, sorry

This man already knows that but seems hesitant to do it. It may only be a piece of paper but it opened a lot of doors for me.

s.

RealityCh3ck

Nov 9, 2008
Drilling Rigs

This is more in regard to your opening post. You were talking about needing tickets and education. If you have some cash, and a place to stay in the Edmonton/Leduc area this course is all and more than you will need Enform » Pre-Employment Floorhand Programs - Land Drilling Rigs. The links on the website should help inform you about the industry. I'm not sure if it's mentioned or stressed but a vehicle is more or less a must have. I landed my job through this course and would recomend it. While it may be easy to get hired after this, you still might have to deal with "waiting lists" so don't count on one company, get hired 10 times and tell the others you found work when you get some.

Mulk

The other white liquid
Oct 24, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
This is more in regard to your opening post. You were talking about needing tickets and education. If you have some cash, and a place to stay in the Edmonton/Leduc area this course is all and more than you will need Enform » Pre-Employment Floorhand Programs - Land Drilling Rigs. The links on the website should help inform you about the industry. I'm not sure if it's mentioned or stressed but a vehicle is more or less a must have. I landed my job through this course and would recomend it. While it may be easy to get hired after this, you still might have to deal with "waiting lists" so don't count on one company, get hired 10 times and tell the others you found work when you get some.

I am in the oil services industry. People think they need to come to Calgary or Edmonton for a job in the industry. Try Estevan Saskatchewan, the place is exploding. All you really need to do is show up you are pretty much hired. There are a lot of independent companies that haven't been using the internet to it's full advantage.

Also Look up Oil Well Drilling Contractor in Google. Precision Drilling is the largest, Nabors Drilling would be next but there are many others. If you can't afford to get onto the pre-hire training, then you can likely get on as a "green" leasehand. The leasehand is basically a guy who cleans up, gets lunch at camp. drives the crew back and forth and does whatever menial tasks need doing. You also get trained up to become a floor hand. Another good avenue is service rigs, and coil tubing rigs. These are dirty jobs, but pay good with lots of hours.

Good luck

needwork

Nov 9, 2008
Any girls in Oil camps?

Hey, I'm a 28 year old female, looking to move to Alberta to get work. I did 3 years of Culinary school, and am wondering if anyone knows how to get a Cook's job at one of the Oil-Rig camps? (or whatever they're called LoL)

I hear they pay good money for Cooks and I'm expecting harsh conditions (weather, harrassment etc) but that comes along with working with a lot of males anywhere :roll: so I'm used to it.

Any info or links would be helpful, or if anyone knows anything re: how to get hired at one of these places.

Thanks a bunch :)

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
I know this point has been posted before.
However it may need saying again.

Get the job or very,very solid job leads BEFORE you come all the way out to Alberta.
Unless you are independently wealthy you will ending up spending all your cash reserves on gas, food, lodging and stuff like that.
Quite a few young people have spent their hard earned savings in Alberta and still did not get a job ( or the type of job they were hoping for).

As a rig hand Rrealitych3ck has already covered it.
Rigs aren't going to be really firing up till freeze up anyway.
I heard quite a few rigs may stay racked this winter in Alberta; Saskatchewan is probably a way better bet.

As for Needwork (the cook).
You should have no problems getting a cooking job in a camp in Alberta or BC .
Phone the big catering outfits.
Get some experience and then try to hookup with one of the mining operations in the Arctic.
Big bucks and a steady rotation I hear.

Trex

Mulk

The other white liquid
Oct 24, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Hey, I'm a 28 year old female, looking to move to Alberta to get work. I did 3 years of Culinary school, and am wondering if anyone knows how to get a Cook's job at one of the Oil-Rig camps? (or whatever they're called LoL)

I hear they pay good money for Cooks and I'm expecting harsh conditions (weather, harrassment etc) but that comes along with working with a lot of males anywhere :roll: so I'm used to it.

Any info or links would be helpful, or if anyone knows anything re: how to get hired at one of these places.

Thanks a bunch :)

Here's some.

http://www.shancocampservices.com/interface_embed.swf

Name: Beaver Camp & Catering Street: 8902 115 Street Grande Prairie, ab T8V7L9- Phone: (780) 814-7117

http://www.traversltd.com/jobs.asp

http://www.toughnecks.com/become_camp.php

http://www.westerncampservices.com/employ.html

http://www.enercoroilfield.ca/mission.html

good luck.