Edmonton the Violent

Jsan

Nominee Member
Apr 6, 2007
This city is going down the toilet fast. This is the second random stabbing murder of an innocent person in the last week. There are so many transients moving to this city from across Canada and it is beginning to show. In my job I have to work around allot of apartment complexes in this city and I am amazed just how there seems to be so many more rough, creepy looking guys who are moving in. My co-workers have also said the same. This city is changing and not for the good.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourn...=20d48c0a-e8a8-4a24-aa50-c5a3be68624e&k=63036

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Hmmm... I've lived in a lot of small towns, and a couple small cities. Edmonton is the largest place I've ever lived. But, it still seems pretty damn safe per capita. If you think the people here seem sketchy, go hang out in an small oilfield town full of meth head rig workers. Trust me, Edmonton seems a lot friendlier in comparison. The stabbings and rapes from the small towns just don't seem to make the news as reliably is all.

Jsan

Nominee Member
Apr 6, 2007
Why was I not surprised to discover that the psycho who knifed the poor kid on the Bus was from Edmonton? You could expand it from Edmonton the violent to Alberta the violent with that horrific attack on the family and the tenant in the basement that happened in Calgary a couple of months ago. This city and province has changed for the worse and seems to be getting more dangerous every week.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Why was I not surprised to discover that the psycho who knifed the poor kid on the Bus was from Edmonton? You could expand it from Edmonton the violent to Alberta the violent with that horrific attack on the family and the tenant in the basement that happened in Calgary a couple of months ago. This city and province has changed for the worse and seems to be getting more dangerous every week.

Not wanting to beat a dead horse but what happened to the "fund", just can't remember the name, to stop this kind of thing from happening.

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
Yes, I too have noticed a lot of unsavory characters lately. When I lived in Millwoods(a residential area in South Edmonton for those of you unfamiliar with the city) I could watch the crackheads checking out parked cars all night long. as well as a couple of regular dope dealers who would deliver their wares to some creep who lived in the building. I had two deadbolts installed on the walk in door and two bars installed on the patio door. I'd finally had enough and moved back out to the countryside.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Yes, I too have noticed a lot of unsavory characters lately. When I lived in Millwoods(a residential area in South Edmonton for those of you unfamiliar with the city) I could watch the crackheads checking out parked cars all night long. as well as a couple of regular dope dealers who would deliver their wares to some creep who lived in the building. I had two deadbolts installed on the walk in door and two bars installed on the patio door. I'd finally had enough and moved back out to the countryside.

No offense meant to you at all. But if we keep moving these people have more room to spread to. Not a good thing. Then again the cops are not doing what they are paid to do.

MissAnnika

Electoral Member
Jun 30, 2008
Ohau, Hawaii
oh man you kno what would be totally awesome, if i had a license to kill. lets roleplay for a minute *guy is a douche bag to me in the store, so i follow him out and kill him, in front of the police no less. they come over and i whip out my license to kill. they let me go and i tell them i'm just doing my civil duty of population control heheh* but that goes against what you were just blogging about, sorry

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
oh man you kno what would be totally awesome, if i had a license to kill. lets roleplay for a minute *guy is a douche bag to me in the store, so i follow him out and kill him, in front of the police no less. they come over and i whip out my license to kill. they let me go and i tell them i'm just doing my civil duty of population control heheh* but that goes against what you were just blogging about, sorry

Niki,

I see your point, but the killing has to stop. We predate each other every ten seconds. We are worse than animals in the wild . They kill to eat. We kill for.....I do not know!

MissAnnika

Electoral Member
Jun 30, 2008
Ohau, Hawaii
its hard to tell when someone is being serious or not over the internet, mayb i shouldnt joke so much, i tend to have a crude humor about me

Reactions: karrie

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
i'm just kidding, the only way i'd ever kill someone was in defense to protect my own life

Niki,

Our world is sick and I really do not think that you would only in self-defense.
But I will take your word for it.

MissAnnika

Electoral Member
Jun 30, 2008
Ohau, Hawaii
our world might be sick, but that doesnt mean i am. just my humor is, but thats only bcuz i feel laughter is the best medicine, i mean if some1 is sick and dying, if you can make them laugh, for that one moment they forget about their pain.
but i see where your coming from, this IS a sick world so its only natural to assume the worst in people, especially ones you dont kno

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
our world might be sick, but that doesnt mean i am. just my humor is, but thats only bcuz i feel laughter is the best medicine, i mean if some1 is sick and dying, if you can make them laugh, for that one moment they forget about their pain.
but i see where your coming from, this IS a sick world so its only natural to assume the worst in people, especially ones you dont kno

Niki,

At one time suspicion of another was rare, but now it is running rampant.
Too bad, world was a decent place at one time.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Area must have a lot to do with it, because while my van's been rifled through a couple times, we really don't worry about our house or safety here. No locking ourselves in at night or stressing about buttoning the house down if we're out. We know the neighbors. We watch their places and they watch ours. People go walking at night and chat, pop into the back yard to see what we're up to. My two kids and four other sets of neighborhood children all run freely back and forth on our end of the block, from one house to the other, playing, with no imminent concern that someone's going to snatch them. I see such a drastically different Edmonton apparently.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Area must have a lot to do with it, because while my van's been rifled through a couple times, we really don't worry about our house or safety here. No locking ourselves in at night or stressing about buttoning the house down if we're out. We know the neighbors. We watch their places and they watch ours. People go walking at night and chat, pop into the back yard to see what we're up to. My two kids and four other sets of neighborhood children all run freely back and forth on our end of the block, from one house to the other, playing, with no imminent concern that someone's going to snatch them. I see such a drastically different Edmonton apparently.

If you read about it, it's one person's opinion. If you do not see it occurring in your place of residence and you are close to your neighbours and you watch each other's homes, you've gotten it right.
I applaud you and your man and those around you.
Should be an example for everyone.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Cities are such nice places.
hehe Gotta love rural areas in BC. Not much for violent crimes here. In 20 years the only thing that's gone missing from our home has been a box of Marsbars and we are pretty sure in which neighborhood kid snitched it. Left money on the table, tools in the carport and snitched the Marsbars. (And no, Prax, we aren't going to shoot the kid, although if someone gave him a nice dose of salt in his butt one day for his antics, it might do some good).
He seems also to like breaking vehicle windows at another neighbor's place. Makes me wonder if he didn't inherit his father's sociopathic tendencies (he lives with his mother).
Anyway, all things considered the worst we have around here is a little theft and vandalism now & then.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
No offense meant to you at all. But if we keep moving these people have more room to spread to. Not a good thing. Then again the cops are not doing what they are paid to do.

When the police arrest people and the judges sentence them to either a very short stint in jail or decide to not give them any jail time at all, how can that be blamed on the police? You've got car thieves that have been arrested numerous times(deemed level 5 offenders, I believe) out on the streets to do it again just because they are "too young" to understand right from wrong(according to the Youth Justice Act). Until changes are made in the justice system itself, the hands of the police are tied pretty tight.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Look into the story behind the father that killed his kids in Merritt BC. The kids deaths could have been prevented, but the police who had the idiot in custody once for another violence related incident let him go for some reason and then forgot about him or ignored him.
My point is that the police aren't without blame for some things.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but, until something happens in your neighbourhood,
rural, or small town, it is a nice cozy feeling, I've been there. Grew up in New westminster, which, at that time, was a great small city. Great neighbourhoods, and
a very clean atmosphere, until, one night, my mother was mugged walking home, and
not longer after that, I was stopped about 9 at night, and threatened, till I screamed the
guys ears off, and he ran away, but that ended the 'cozy' feeling we all had, right then and
there.
I have heard many times on the news, when people were interviewed after a horrendous happening, "We have never had anything like this happen here, we never lock our doors, and
we all trust one another", well, that's great, until 'that one day'.
Hope nothing bad every happens to any of you, ever.