Query about moving to Alberta

Lucy

Jan 20, 2008
Malta
Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone could help me. my husband and I together with our 5year old daughter wish to emigrate to Canada, we have friends living in Lloydminister and they have helped with finding a possible job for my husband. But the thing is this, what do we do from here, I mean how do you obtain a working permit and does it take long once the employer applies for it? the government website seems sooo complicated it makes it look like its almost impossible to emigrate to Canada. Life in Malta is ok but theres no greenery at all and its so polluted, another thing is that housing is soo expensive here we cant afford to buy our own property. I'm a special needs teacher and my husband is a CNC machinist but still we dont earn enough to purchase a decent apartment. (my husband has a very good chance of working with an oil and gas company in Lloyd.) I have read about people on this forum one person in particular from England whose husband obtained a temporary work permit to work as a truck driver. How did you go about it and did it take long for you to get the working permit, how are you finding it in Alberta did you manage to apply for the permanent working visa.
Please If anyone knows anything about this subject please help we're so mixed up!

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
everyone's coming to canada recently.

I emigrated here last year, by the family-class route. it's a bit simpler but still a difficult process. My advice with the forms is just to get on with them. They start to make more sense when you've spent days filling them in. Expect to pay quite a lot of money for doctors-check-ups and stuff like that, and i expect for the skilled-worker emigration you'll be looking at a long wait (several months at least). There is a page on the government website which tells you the average waiting-time for different places.

I lived in alberta for a year and a bit. Generally i found it was expensive, but probably still cheap compared to malta (which is often as bad as london). It's a beautiful place. If you go there, don't just stay in the cities, get out in the country and go for walks in the summer, but take the bug-repellent and a hat! Another surprising thing is the temperature extremes. -35°C in winter and +35° in the summer... owchee.

I live in newfoundland now which is much nicer :0)

Lucy

Jan 20, 2008
Malta
Thanks

Hey thanks a lot for the advice we really apprechiate it its nice to hear from people who made it there it gives us hope.
Best of luck

fraserbirt

Nov 27, 2007
Best of luck in your move to Alberta!

You're right, for the most part, you'll need a confirmed job offer in Alberta (or somewhere in Canada,) if you want to apply for a work permit. There are a few exceptions to the rule, which you can find on the CIC website: Working in Canada Temporarily.

It's not just the employer who has to offer you the job. In most cases, the job needs to be confirmed by Human Resources & Social Development Canada (HRSDC). This is done by foreign worker units located in a few cities in Alberta

It can take anywhere from 2 to 30 working days for CIC to process a temporary work visa once the job offer is confirmed by HRSDC. Most of the leg work in getting confirmation has to be done by the employer, rather than the permit applicant.

If you're looking for a bit more Alberta-specific immigration information, you should check out Live Work Alberta - Temporary Work Permits.

Lucy

Jan 20, 2008
Malta
Hi Fraserbirt,
, Thankyou so much for the information, we'll surely check out the site you gave us