In Nova Scotia, Thinking about moving to alberta..... advice????


mokey
#1
I am a mother of two, thinking on moving out to Alberta with my fiance but.. i have been told everything,,, is too expensive and i could never do it. I wanna move to Alberta sooo bad but its that thought of getting out there and having to move back because we wont be able to afford it...
exactly what would i have to expect if i moved to alberta, and does anyone reallt know the cost of living on average for a family of 4 (preferably someone who has a newborn and a child under 5). but if you know i would be very happy to know the Pros and the Cons. Im just son confused. I want to start a life but am i better off living in nova scotia or would living in alberta become beneficial... what about child care or health care? i just need to know from someone who lives in alberta and has lived there to know an average cost of living..
im just so confused, i know that its higher living but is it really worth locating or am i better off staying put?
 
snowles
#2
I can't tell you from personal experience, but a cousin of mine just had to move out from her current location and purchase a trailer home (yes, how lavish) an hour away and commute everyday to work, just because rent within the community has skyrocketed (and purchasing a home was incomprehensible). These are a young married couple with little external debt and two well-paying jobs. Take it for what it's worth.

Personally, I wouldn't go unless I had a job in hand and a good place to live lined up, as well as a moderate amount of money saved up to get settled in and deal with the transition. But I also have my own notions of Alberta that are far beyond that of the tangible, and that would ever keep me from moving there, so the point is likely moot.
 
Ariadne
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by mokeyView Post

I am a mother of two, thinking on moving out to Alberta with my fiance but.. i have been told everything,,, is too expensive and i could never do it. I wanna move to Alberta sooo bad but its that thought of getting out there and having to move back because we wont be able to afford it...
exactly what would i have to expect if i moved to alberta, and does anyone reallt know the cost of living on average for a family of 4 (preferably someone who has a newborn and a child under 5). but if you know i would be very happy to know the Pros and the Cons. Im just son confused. I want to start a life but am i better off living in nova scotia or would living in alberta become beneficial... what about child care or health care? i just need to know from someone who lives in alberta and has lived there to know an average cost of living.. im just so confused, i know that its higher living but is it really worth locating or am i better off staying put?

There are places to purchase, but you're looking at a cost of about $300k+. Renting is possible, but the prices are higher than they used to be. Look at the rentals in the Edmonton Journal or Calgary Herald if you want to get an idea about what's available - avoid companies that offer to find a place for you for a fee or phone numbers that appear to have several listings. There are people that have had rentals for a long time and are still interested in good tennants ... no rental gouging going on. The 7-11 is advertising to pay 11.50 per hour.

Food costs are average, child care is about $45 a day, depending on the facility.

There is government subsidized childcare and healthcare, but you have to demonstrate that you live here to get it. Subsidized childcare is dependent on combined income and costs, with reasonable amounts allocated for food, education, housing and consideration for caring for newborns. The subsidy also includes free registration in government sponsored community programs (art, gymnastics, etc) for children. There is a huge shortage of quality childcare so if you qualify (clean, happy, healthy home), you can be a government approved childcare home for up to 5 children including your own. Recently a woman declared that she was opening a daycare in her home and began taking reservations and deposits from parents desperate for childcare. She delayed and delayed some more, people asked for their money back, she was fully booked, she delayed some more and eventually she was charged with fraud. A lot of people lost money, but they were willing to pay $1800 up front for a place that didn't even exist. Taking in 3 children would give an income of about $3000-4000 (some places charge $60 per day) a month plus deductions (computer, toys, etc) minus costs.

Healthcare is national and I would expect that the subsidy is the same in every province ... at least it should be. Healthcare is not privatized in Alberta, but finding a doctor can be difficult. However, there are always some doctors taking new patients and a list is available through healthlink and the college of physicians and surgeons. There are medical clinics every few kilometres and the wait can be anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours.

I know Alberta so if you have more questions, fire away. The ocean is probably nicer than the mountains, at least coming from someone that knows the mountains, but there are possibilities for people that want the change. It is not a good idea to drive out in a van with belongings stuffed in the back and nothing but one month's rent for Nova Scotia. People have to be able to 'put it together', either in advance or once they arrive, or they will be the next newpaper headline about a family that came looking for riches, found shortages and ended up living in the back of a van and shelters. People need skills, 3 months survival money and a plan ... and jobs can probably be secured via a phone call - again check the Edmonton Journal or Calgary Herald for available positions. Good luck with making a decision.

Edit to add: http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...97dd40&k=43327

This is the latest headline about how things are in Calgary
Last edited by Ariadne; Jan 4th, 2007 at 03:31 PM..
 
Cannuck
#4
Move to a place like Medicine Hat or Lethbridge. They're smaller, more affordable and jobs are a dime a dozen. Stay away from Calgary, Edmonton and anyplace in the northern part of the province. What type of job are you or your fiance looking for or able to do?
 
Gonzo
#5
With every boom there is a bust. It will happen.
 
Toro
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by GonzoView Post

With every boom there is a bust. It will happen.

QFT!
 
jerry
#7
Go to Saskatchewan, the place is booming to and it's way cheaper.
 
Cannuck
#8
But it's Saskatchewan. That's like choosing to vacation in hell rather than Mexico and saying it's warm too. The big problem with Saskatistan is that the native population is near 50% and increasing which means fewer and fewer people paying the taxes required to run the show.
 
eh1eh
#9
A freind of mine just moved to Ft. McMoney. Got a good job with the gov. but had to pay $500,000 for a 1200 sq. ft. bungalow. I don't know what rents are like but property is big $$$$.
 
jerry
#10
Quote:

But it's Saskatchewan. That's like choosing to vacation in hell rather than Mexico and saying it's warm too. The big problem with Saskatistan is that the native population is near 50% and increasing which means fewer and fewer people paying the taxes required to run the show.

Gimme a break on Alberta being such a better place than Saskatchewan. If you take the mountains out of the equation, Alberta is as boring as Saskatchewan. They have thousands of lakes in northern Saskatchewan. Housing is at a fraction of the price of housing in Alberta. Yes you pay more income taxes but the cost of living is so much cheaper than it more than compensates.

I lived in both provinces and trust me, i found Saskatchewan to be a much friendlier place than Alberta. Saskatoon has the 2nd lowest unemployment rate in Canada I think.
 
FireStarter2007
#11
Hi,
I have lived in Halifax 33.5 out of the 34 years of my life, On May 14,2006 I bought a used car '94 Ford Tempo, and new trailer hitch and a '78 tent trailer . I sold all of my belonings and on the 15 I took all my cash and over paid my VISA and started driving West via the all Canadian route. I left home at 4pm and bunked down athe the Qubec boarder by 7am, I slept to 3pm (or 2pm EST) I drove through t Montreal and Ottawa , got lost outside Ottawa. It started Frezing rain ouside So I drive all night and bunked down in Petawawa at 11am, I stated drving again at 4pm , passed by North Bay and Stopped in Sudbury for groceries and propaine,Stopped in Sault St, Mare and had a streak and drove all night and stopped in Wawa.The next leg sucked all steep hills and rock,bog rock,at 9am I reached Thunder Bay and stopped in for lunch and driove to Dayden and bunked at 8pm est.Next i got up at 6am drove from Dryden across Manatob and bunked in Yorkton Sack. at 11pm CST . I got up and drove to I got to Vagerville, AB and bunked at 11PM MTN. The next day I got up at 7am and drove to Sherwood Park and went to a "real" camp ground. at 58/day. I waised two weeks just enjoying myself drinking beer and watching the Sandley Cup playoffs.I on June 4th as shipper (paying $15.00./hr) a huge oil tank welding shop at 6am I quit at 12 noon and got another job as a high pressure water clear for trurcks (Paying $19/hr) I worked two day and quit and got hired at coffie shop paying (12/hr). Then just chilled for a week and strared driving cab for a month. Moved in to a room (very few avalabe) only 400/mo By the end of july I quit working for taxi company and worked for their competitor for a month. I got tired of the taxi business and worked at the source from September to December got promoted to Assistant manger (had leading sales for region) and quit December 24 and started driving cab again in a diffent city outside Edmonton, That my current job, quitting in March to drive A water truck or work in the oil sands.So I do goe tome sick, but If you are lucky enough to fid a place to lay your head definatly get your **** out here. Rember it is only a 2 or 3 day drive back home.
 
Cannuck
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by jerryView Post

Gimme a break on Alberta being such a better place than Saskatchewan.

I don't recall comparing Saskatistan to Alberta. But since you have, it would seem...

http://www12.statcan.ca/english/cens...ob/provs.cfm#2

...the choice is being made.
 
Dexter Sinister
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

The big problem with Saskatistan is that the native population is near 50%...

You haven't a clue about Saskatchewan, and since you repeatedly refer to it as Saskatistan I suspect your ignorance is a point of pride with you. It's nowhere near 50%, it's about 13%.
 
Cannuck
#14
About 13.3% to be exact. The original post was supposed to be "in parts".

The fact remains there are fewer and fewer tax payers in Saskatistan every year because they are moving to Alberta in sizeable numbers. That's the reality and Saskatistaners should try and do something about it before the they really earn the "stan".
 
Dexter Sinister
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

About 13.3% to be exact. The original post was supposed to be "in parts".

It's also 100% in parts. And 0% in parts. So what?

Quote:

...do something about it before the they really earn the "stan".

And until they do maybe you should try to restrain yourself from taking cheap shots at them. It's not amusing.
 
Cannuck
#16
It is to people with a sense of humour. You have my sympathies.

BTW - they say a sense of humour is a sign of intelligence. Again, you have my sympathies.
 
Cannuck
#17
I just checked your profile....Regina eh?

That would explain a lot. You have my very deepest sympathies.
 
Tonington
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

It is to people with a sense of humour. You have my sympathies.

BTW - they say a sense of humour is a sign of intelligence. Again, you have my sympathies.

Classy stuff Cannuck. If you knew anything about this forum you'd know that Dexter isn't lacking in either of those departments. He called you on your outrageous claims, accept your corrections and be humble about it.
 
#juan
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by FireStarter2007View Post

Hi,
I have lived in Halifax 33.5 out of the 34 years of my life, On May 14,2006 I bought a used car '94 Ford Tempo, and new trailer hitch and a '78 tent trailer . I sold all of my belonings and on the 15 I took all my cash and over paid my VISA and started driving West via the all Canadian route. I left home at 4pm and bunked down athe the Qubec boarder by 7am, I slept to 3pm (or 2pm EST) I drove through t Montreal and Ottawa , got lost outside Ottawa. It started Frezing rain ouside So I drive all night and bunked down in Petawawa at 11am, I stated drving again at 4pm , passed by North Bay and Stopped in Sudbury for groceries and propaine,Stopped in Sault St, Mare and had a streak and drove all night and stopped in Wawa.The next leg sucked all steep hills and rock,bog rock,at 9am I reached Thunder Bay and stopped in for lunch and driove to Dayden and bunked at 8pm est.Next i got up at 6am drove from Dryden across Manatob and bunked in Yorkton Sack. at 11pm CST . I got up and drove to I got to Vagerville, AB and bunked at 11PM MTN. The next day I got up at 7am and drove to Sherwood Park and went to a "real" camp ground. at 58/day. I waised two weeks just enjoying myself drinking beer and watching the Sandley Cup playoffs.I on June 4th as shipper (paying $15.00./hr) a huge oil tank welding shop at 6am I quit at 12 noon and got another job as a high pressure water clear for trurcks (Paying $19/hr) I worked two...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
Tell me, is it getting tougher to fill out job applications? Eight jobs in as many months. If you do end up working at an oil sands project, you won't be able to quit whenever the whim hits you.
Last edited by #juan; Jan 21st, 2007 at 05:54 PM..
 
Cannuck
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

... accept your corrections and be humble about it.


Oh yeah!!! Make me!!!
 
mokey
#21
hey guys, after so much thinking and stress lol... i have decided not to move to calgary that ill just visit and enjoy 3 weeks of ;the beautiful place while im there lol.. As I have never been to calgary, I hear its like 10 times the size of calgary which is kinda neat ive never been out of nova scotia so dear god help me lol... anywho im about to go got 3 days before my flight and im a tad bit nervous cause im afraid i might like it so much that i never wanna come back haha anywho im sticking to where i am now lol... just fillin ya in on my decision so u all arent still fighting on who is the better place., which place is better for this or that or where and where is bad lol and stuff like that lol.. thanks for all the support and information it was very helpful and after looking through things i have realized that living in nova scotia is the best choice. thanks again
 
Dexter Sinister
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

I just checked your profile....Regina eh?

That would explain a lot. You have my very deepest sympathies.

I have an excellent sense of humour. Name calling and gratuitous insults aren't funny. Learn some manners.
 
Cannuck
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

I have an excellent sense of humour.

No you don't. You are also touchy. Not surprising, since you live in Regina. Can't afford a bus ticket out?
 
Dexter Sinister
#24
Well, I can see you're going to be a wonderful addition to the boards with stuff like that and " Oh yeah!!! Make me!!!" What are you, 8 years old? Congratulations, you've just earned a spot on my Ignore list.
 
Cannuck
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

What are you, 8 years old?

I was going to ask you the same question what with getting your knickers all twisted over where you live but then I realized you have no sense of humour and you are obviously disadvantage so that will probably cause some bitterness. And of course, you live in Saskatistan so it's easy to see why your glass is half empty.

Ignore away. I eagerly await no response.
 
Zan
#26
Cannuck,

I don't usually have the time to welcome each new member to the board but in this case I'm gonna make an exception. So welcome. However, may I advise you that if you wish to have an enjoyable and rewarding experience here, you might make just a little more effort to treat the other members here with some respect. Goading and insulting members who contribute much of value to our site is not welcomed here. Conducting yourself with the respect with which I assume you wish to be treated is adviseable. Enjoy yourself here by all means, maybe take a little time to browse around and get to know a bit about us, the members you want to engage in discussion or debate, and maybe make a few posts that inspire others to participate in discussion with you in return. And please... leave the rudeness at the door.
Regards,
Zan
 
#juan
#27
Cannuck

I will join Zan in her comments, all of her comments. Please take heed.
 
vinod1975
#28
me 2
 
Cannuck
#29
Holy crap, you people are just a tad uptight. My Wife is from Saskatistan. She thinks Dexter is being a weany.
 
vinod1975
#30
hey dudes no offence and we all are friends so lets close this chapter now.....
 

Similar Threads

13
Nova Scotian thinking about moving to Alberta
by trilauhal | Sep 11th, 2009
25
A special day in Nova Scotia
by darkbeaver | Jun 10th, 2009
0
Looking for Car, Halifax Nova Scotia
by On.Journey | Jun 15th, 2007
no new posts