Relocated or thinking of relocating to Alberta? Why and/or why not?

Sylvia

Oct 23, 2006
Hi guys!
I'm a newbie here & I already love it, you are very friendly and thanks for your advice. !

This may be nothing new for a few people here ... but I will be relocating to Edmonton from Montreal (Quebec) in spring 2007 with a job and a place to live at already lined up for me. I'm nervous and psyched at the same time about it. I heard about the many opportunities that Alberta has to offer & I'm still weighing the pros and cons.

Are you someone that has relocated to Alberta from another province or country? If so, what were the reasons and how is everything working out for you? Any regrets? What is it that you miss the most?

Are you someone (like me) who is thinking of relocating to Alberta? For what reasons? What are your expections? Any goals?

I would like to know your opinion guys, thanks.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
Hello,

I had relocated to Alberta for a couple of years, but I had to get out of there. As much as I liked living in the rocky mountians, the dry weather, the long winter with short days, and most importantly the COLD was just too uncomfortable for me.

What I missed the most while there was the ocean and the coastal mountains and forests.

Dalreg

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2006
Saskatchewan eh!
Having lived next door to Alberta all my life, I have no ambition to ever set foot in the province let alone move there. Hearing from many friends and family over the years many have said it isn't all it is cracked up to be.

Right now there are tons of jobs, most decent paying. But remember with everything booming right now your cost of living is probably going to be a lot higher than you expect. I have a cousin paying $800/ month for a bachelor suite in Calgary. Doesn't even have a bed just the futton.

Bob

Mar 18, 2006
word of advice.... if you don't have a place to live before you come out.... don't come out. Even if you have a job lined up. There are hundreds in Calgary who have jobs but no place to live.

dis_wanderer

Nov 7, 2006
Right now there are tons of jobs, most decent paying. But remember with everything booming right now your cost of living is probably going to be a lot higher than you expect. I have a cousin paying $800/ month for a bachelor suite in Calgary. Doesn't even have a bed just the futton.
I just want to know how much a cashier or a waitress earns in Alberta. And about the cost of accommodation? Do people share rooms (offer bedspaces) there?

ghiebert

Nov 13, 2006
We had some kids stay in our home in Red Deer until they could find an apartment or house to rent. It took them 7 weeks to find something. $1000 per month for a small old house, which isn't bad when split up between the 3 of them. They were lucky. People are charging $230-$320 at last count for you just to stay in a room in their house, you buy your own food though. One lady we talked to wanted $500 apiece from the three kids to stay in her old rental house.
Now, if you need specific rental/purchase price post more details. Generally, if you don' t have a place to stay, don't come.

Waitresses in Alberta can make a lot of money or not, just like BC or anywhere. I think the upper end of that industry is doing not too bad, but fast food is suffering. Just to show how bad it is getting you can make $14 an hour at McDonald's and they supply the transportation, this is in one part of Red Deer. Some fast food places are shutting down evenings (except for drive thru) because of lack of labour. Some other manufacturers, like Travelaire are shutting down some shifts, again due to lack of labour. If you are a good worker, meaning you actually show up and then try to do your job right, you will be king wherever you go. One hirer told me that out of 6 workers for the oilfield they hired on, only one actually showed up the first day. What's with that?

Waitress-wise, there is a strip of restaurants in Calgary where waitresses can make several thousand a month in tips, but that is if you are highly trained in a liquor licensed busy yuppie place in the heart of downtown. Now, remember you have to be very very dedicated and professional to do make this kind of wage, but the potential is completely there. If you get to managerial or hostessing, if you are very good then $70000 is not a problem to get plus bonuses and perks.

Anyway if you need better info, please supply specifics.