Work in Fort Mcmurray

Want2Work

Oct 19, 2006
I know this has been asked tons of times and I checked and still couldn´t get my question answerd.

I am 18 from California, is there any way I can get a job there and make some good money. I´m not an engineer but shoot I know that they just need bodies for the grunt work and thats what I´m going to do, please let me know if I have a chance, I have high school diploma, can I get hired, thank you.

angusjo

Oct 20, 2006
near red deer
oilfield jobs

You can a job easily here with out experience, you'll start at the bottom of course but lots of people come here to work in the oilfield without any experience. We live in the Red Deer area and lots of companies are always hiring here. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

I know this has been asked tons of times and I checked and still couldn´t get my question answerd.

I am 18 from California, is there any way I can get a job there and make some good money. I´m not an engineer but shoot I know that they just need bodies for the grunt work and thats what I´m going to do, please let me know if I have a chance, I have high school diploma, can I get hired, thank you.

Want2Work

Oct 19, 2006
another question

Well heres another question, I don´t want to just show up and find a job, that would be fine with me but I would need a place to stay, so what is the deal with that? Do the companies help you get an apartment? And is there anyway for me to start at the bottom of the oilfields job through the internet to apply, or do you have to go there and do the legwork? Thanks man!

angusjo

Oct 20, 2006
near red deer
You can usually find a room to rent, we have one to rent in our home. But you will have to start at the bottom in most companies but check out the internet ads and send a resume.

Want2Work

Oct 19, 2006
And how much to ppl at the bottom make a year, is it still great pay compared to the crappy pay in California? Not to mention California is so expensive to live at. Thanks!

Dalreg

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2006
Saskatchewan eh!
Hey if you want to make some money and see the world check out Australia right now. In WEstern Australia things are booming! I am moving down next month and will easily double my pay from what I am making right now. High school graduates are getting jobs in the resource sector in the out back starting in the $100 000/yr range. All you need is a passport and a work visa.

Moving from the US to Canada I don't kknow if you would need a work visa or not, but you might want to check it out.

Dalreg

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2006
Saskatchewan eh!
The easiest way to get a job in Australia for a foreigner is to be sponsored by a business. However people under the age of 25( I think) can apply for a working holiday in Australia. Basically it is a 12 month visa, and you are able to work while down there. The only problem is you can only work 6 months with one employer.

As for work it is right across the board. From service jobs to construction, mining, oil, etc.
You can check out this site for visa applications.http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/index.htm

As for pay The federal minimum wage is quite high by North America standards but it is more expensive to live down there. Someone 20 yrs old starts at $20/hr.

jbbb1975

Nov 4, 2006
uk at moment
You can a job easily here with out experience, you'll start at the bottom of course but lots of people come here to work in the oilfield without any experience. We live in the Red Deer area and lots of companies are always hiring here. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

hi angusjo,
what is the usual starting pay an hr for these entry level jobs in the Red Deer area? what kind of jobs are these, packing, labouring, oil field jobs, admin etc?

regrds
jon

angusjo

Oct 20, 2006
near red deer
The jobs in Red Deer I'm referring to are oilfield jobs, entry level positions, there are usually lots available but I don't know how much all of them pay. Every company has a different pay scale for their services. But there are lots of jobs in this area in every area of employment. Pay is usually a bit better than other provinces at say, McDonald's, Tims, etc. It depends on what you're looking for I guess.

jbbb1975

Nov 4, 2006
uk at moment
hi
thanks for replying.

i live in the uk but want to work in the Canada as i wish to save money$20to40k cad a year, i was looking for jobs in Red Deer over the weekend but online could only mostly find nonoiljobs. the oiljobs you mention, what is the starting pay for entryjobs you know about?
where can i find a list of the available entrylevel oiljobs, are they only in local offline newspapers in the Red Deer area or through word of mouth ?
will i be hired without a work permit as theres so much work?

the tim hortons and mcD's jobs, i heard report that the mcD's in fortmcmurray were paying $20cad an hr, is the pay the same in Red Deer?

i have a uk car license which allows me to drive up to 7.5tonne, what are the salaries for truckers over there, would they train me?

thanks
jon

angusjo

Oct 20, 2006
near red deer
I really don't know many more details except that I doubt Red Deer pays as much as Fort McMurray jobs but the cost of living is also higher in Fort McMurray. As far as resources for jobs you could try the Human Resources Development Canada website for jobs, do an online search for Alberta oilfield jobs, and I usually see oilfield jobs in the Red Deer Advocate (our local paper). As far as pay goes you can apply at jobs you find and see what they're paying if they contact you. As for needing a work permit i have no idea. Your driving certification may not even be valid here, I really don't know, you need to have a certain license here to drive a class 1, etc vehicle and I'm not sure if companies do training or not. Hopefully someone else on here can answer your questions, sorry I wasn't of more help.

jbbb1975

Nov 4, 2006
uk at moment
hi Dalreg
ive been looking on some perth, aus sites and havent been able to find the highschool leaver entry level jobs that make 100kusd a year. would u be able to advise as to where to apply? what jobs are these specifically, in what sector did u see them?

Hey if you want to make some money and see the world check out Australia right now. In WEstern Australia things are booming! I am moving down next month and will easily double my pay from what I am making right now. High school graduates are getting jobs in the resource sector in the out back starting in the $100 000/yr range. All you need is a passport and a work visa.

Moving from the US to Canada I don't kknow if you would need a work visa or not, but you might want to check it out.

kale7334

Apr 17, 2006
Thanks in advance

Hey Angusjo,
You have a good knowledge of the jobs in oil industry in Red Deer. I did some job search long time ago when I just got my permament residency card to move and live in canada. I am moving to canada in December permanently from Memphis Tennessee, USA. I do not have much experience in Engineering but I do have a Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering and a Masters degree in Industrial Engineering from the US colleges. I have heard that US degrees are valid in Canada. I also have a Masters degree in Teaching Mathematics to High School students. I do not mind climbing the stairs from low level job to a white collar as I dont have any ego of that sort. Any advice would be appreciated. We will be going to Banff first as my wife just got a job in gondola. email is kale7334@gmail.com

James02

May 17, 2007
I too would like to work in Fort mc Murray as an entry level laborer in the oil sands, if the jobs are still there
But I would need to be working 12hr days, 7 days a week

I have checked the 3 links out, listed above
http://www.suncor.com/careers.aspx?ID=13
http://careers.cnrl.com/js/
AlbertaTourist.com
But have not found any laboring jobs
I would like to have a look at some online so I know what it’s all about

I want to go there and cold call on the firms for work dose any one think this is an effective measure of finding work.
And if so wear about in Fort mc Murray should I go

I would be very great full for any help

Thanks

James

James02

May 17, 2007
I too would like to work in Fort mc Murray as an entry level laborer in the oil sands, if the jobs are still there
But I would need to be working 12hr days, 7 days a week

I have checked the 3 links out, listed above
http://www.suncor.com/careers.aspx?ID=13
http://careers.cnrl.com/js/
AlbertaTourist.com
But have not found any laboring jobs
I would like to have a look at some online so I know what it’s all about

I want to go there and cold call on the firms for work dose any one think this is an effective measure of finding work.
And if so wear about in Fort mc Murray should I go

I would be very great full for any help

Thanks

James

OilSands.InfoMine

Aug 2, 2007
I participate with a company that posts as many FT McMurray jobs as possable. The site is www.Oilsands.InfoMine.com this site focuses on the Mining/Oil and construction aspect enjoy. We have also lauched another www.fortmcmurrayonline.com this is new and we offer lots of information on the territory shortly we will be offering a job board here as well the focus will be a little diffrent enjoy ALL!!!