NDP eliminates despied school fees

tay
A flagship bill to cut school fees by 25 percent is familiar and friendly territory for the Alberta’s New Democratic Party. Introduced in the Legislative Assembly today by Education Minister David Eggen Bill 1: An Act to Reduce School Fees, eliminates fees for textbooks, workbooks, photocopying, printing and bussing transporting.

As an opposition party, the NDP railed against growing out of pocket fees that Alberta parents were forced to pay under the old Progressive Conservative government. Eliminating these types of school fees, which cost Albertans an average of $50 million each year, is a change that will have a positive impact in the lives of a lot of Albertans.

The elimination of fees is likely to be a popular move, and it is also shrewd politics. Like the NDP government’s increases to the minimum wage and introduction of $25 per day child care, it will be politically difficult for the conservative opposition parties to campaign against cuts to school fees in the next election.

David Eggen goes back to the NDP basics with bill to cut school fees | daveberta.ca – Alberta Politics (external - login to view)

Cannuck
I put three kids through school between 1996 and 2015. I didn't despise the school fees. I don't understand what all the fuss was about.

tay
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

I put three kids through school between 1996 and 2015. I didn't despise the school fees. I don't understand what all the fuss was about.

Apparently it's a big issue for those parents paying attention........

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

Apparently it's a big issue for those parents paying attention........

You don't think I paid attention to what I shelled out to the schools? How silly.

I guess I'm just not a NIMBY

IdRatherBeSkiing
The reason for most fees is that the provincial government doesn't actually give schools enough money for textbooks and other stuff and in some provinces like Ontario forces the board and schools to balance the books (no deficits). Therefore fees are a sign of the times. Is Rachel increasing funding to schools by an equivalent amount? Or is all that money designated for subsidizing windmills like it is in Ontario?

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

The reason for most fees is that the provincial government doesn't actually give schools enough money for textbooks and other stuff and in some provinces like Ontario forces the board and schools to balance the books (no deficits). Therefore fees are a sign of the times. Is Rachel increasing funding to schools by an equivalent amount? Or is all that money designated for subsidizing windmills like it is in Ontario?

Alberta is running massive deficits. People should pay their way and stop downloading their program costs onto their children. Unless the government increases spending on schools, increases taxes to cover those costs or cuts spending elsewhere, this is just vote buying. I know my kids school made arrangements for parents that couldn't afford fees such as volunteering to work the canteen during basketball tournaments. It's amazing how many "poor folk" manage to come up with the fees rather than volunteer their time

TenPenny
It seems stupid to charge fees for books, photocopying and busing for students. that's part of the general overhead of running the school system.

Just another example of how stupid Albertans were under their previous handlers.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

that's part of the general overhead of running the school system.

Whether Albertans agree with that statement is up for discussion. The fact remains, somebody has to pay. Give more money to school boards and increase taxes if you want these freebies for parents with school children

no new posts