Snowflake killers asks judge to order protesters to cease insults

tay
Sticks and stones may break your bones............

A group that promotes African trophy hunting has asked a Calgary judge to order protesters to stop insulting event attendees.

The Calgary chapter of Safari Club International (SCI) is seeking an injunction against Mike Donovan, the founder of Ban African Trophy Hunting (BATH) and owner of an African photo tourism company called Lion Dog African Safaris.

SCI and African Events aren't asking protesters stay home, just to choose their phrasing more carefully, according to lawyer Christa Nicholson, who represents both organizations.

She told Court of Queen's Bench Justice Richard Neufeld that protesters can yell "stop trophy hunting," but can not insult attendees with words like "shame," "unethical," and "immoral."

Those words, said Nicholson, amount to defamation.

"That is his opinion," said Neufeld of Donnovan's protest statements. "Your client holds the opinion that trophy hunting is moral and ethical; these are opinions."

"Opinions can be expressed, but they're not to be defamatory ones," said Nicholson.

Donovan, who represented himself, said this is an issue of freedom of expression.

"This is an injunction [application] to shut me up," said Donovan, who represented himself at the hearing. "The plaintiffs are playing the victim here."

Neufeld has reserved his decision.

African trophy hunting group asks judge to order protesters to cease insults - Calgary - CBC News

Jinentonix
+2
#2  Top Rated Post
Quote:

She told Court of Queen's Bench Justice Richard Neufeld that protesters can yell "stop trophy hunting," but can not insult attendees with words like "shame," "unethical," and "immoral."

I notice "murderers" wasn't included in the list. As for trophy hunting, there's nothing moral or ethical about it.

Cannuck
Does there have to be?

Cliffy
Open season on trophy hunters!

Machjo
Like vegans, those who oppose trophy hunting, animal abuse, etc. are just religious fanatics.

Remington1
+1
I have too much respect for those majestic animals being murdered for sport to have any sympathy for these awful people. Killing for trophies is disgusting. Sometimes I wish I was a judge, I can tell you these fuc$#ng pinheads would be running out of my office or court room faster than they can open their stupid trap to plead their crime. I know people who hunt for food, and they use every part of the animal, unlike these arrogant bastar#$s.

Murphy
+1
That's funny, given your handle here.

But what anyone thinks about hunting or trophies doesn't really address the article itself.

And PLEASE don't disagree with me or post mean spirited comments. You'll make me cry.

lone wolf
+1
I sorta like the Ka-dang sound when you shoot a trophy

taxslave
+1
So what's the difference between trophy hunting and trophy fishing? Or catch and release fishing for that matter?

Jinentonix
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

So what's the difference between trophy hunting and trophy fishing? Or catch and release fishing for that matter?

The fish live, usually. The animal doesn't. And in most cases the animals being trophy hunted are't exactly food animals. They're being killed simply for the sake of being killed.

Kathie Bondar
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Open season on trophy hunters!

Yeh, go get them trophy hunters! Those animals don't have a choice of being killed or not.

Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

Like vegans, those who oppose trophy hunting, animal abuse, etc. are just religious fanatics.

What is your definition of religious fanatic?
I am mostly vegan as a dietary choice. It has nothing to do with religion. I just hate the thought of some poor hapless animal who have absolutely no saying in the matter, should die a horrible death just so that I could treat myself to a stinking bbq.

gerryh
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Kathie BondarView Post

Yeh, go get them trophy hunters! Those animals don't have a choice of being killed or not.

What is your definition of religious fanatic?
I am mostly vegan as a dietary choice. It has nothing to do with religion. I just hate the thought of some poor hapless animal who have absolutely no saying in the matter, should die a horrible death just so that I could treat myself to a stinking bbq.

mostly vegan? What is "mostly vegan" mean? Is that like "kinda pregnant"?