Albertan rowing solo across the Atlantic for Cancer

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Follow Laval on his trek across the Atlantic

Thank you for coming alongside me and supporting my efforts in helping the Alberta Cancer Foundation make life better for the 43 Albertans who are diagnosed with cancer every day. Every dollar raised will make a difference for cancer patients across the province, so please consider making a donation to this very important cause.

Shoving off in June from the safety of Halifax Harbour for the 4,500 km solo-ocean row across the Atlantic, is a sobering, yet exciting thought. Unzipping my tent door at Camp III on Everest, for the summit, with just a spare fleece jacket, one litre of water and no bottled oxygen in my backpack, was also a sobering experience . Confronting cancer is a far more sobering journey and with none of the excitement.

Thanks to my career, good health and most of all, the incredible support from my family, I have travelled and adventured around the globe. I would take photos, take home stories, take my family with me and take-in experiences, all of which have been incredible, but, there is one underlining theme: I have always taken. This fundraising initiative is my opportunity to focus on giving.

The Confront Cancer Ocean Row will be frightening, even lonely beautiful at times and physically and mentally tough, and it will be my way to confront my own fears, challenge myself and ultimately make life better for Albertans and their families facing cancer.

I am tired of watching friends and family having to shove off against their will to battle something beyond their control and far more daunting.

On behalf of every Albertan who hears the worlds, “you have cancer”, thank you for helping me support the Alberta Cancer Foundation’s mission to make life better for cancer patients across the province.

https://albertacancer.ca/confrontcanceroceanrow

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
valient effort...
could we sink a couple of those bucks into cancer prevention?
just a couple?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Money, money, money. Cancer: the cash cow of the 20th and 21st centuries. Big Pharma is in the business of creating clients, not cures. Poor sucker is being used to fatten their bank accounts, just like Terry Fox was.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Money, money, money. Cancer: the cash cow of the 20th and 21st centuries. Big Pharma is in the business of creating clients, not cures. Poor sucker is being used to fatten their bank accounts, just like Terry Fox was.
I actually backed out of a volunteer job with a cancer raising event recently partly because of just that even the communications they sent had an icky feel to them-I couldn't stomach the Bee Ess.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
They all have very nice offices and fill most of thier time spending the doners money on fast cars and high rollin women, booze, drugs, and the revolving convention circiuit. If you told them you have a cancer cure they would shoot you and your body would never be found.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
I'd like to give some money to help, but I cantsir
every cancer patient is worth a couple million to the system
how much should one person give?