Calgary bobsled track accident kills 2 teens

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Two teenagers are dead and six injured after attempting to use their own sled on the luge/bobsled track at Canada Olympic Park, according to Calgary police.

Emergency crews were called to the track around 1:30 a.m. MT.

Paramedics said two people were pronounced dead at the scene and six others were taken to area hospitals.

"Part way down, the group hit a large gate used to separate the bobsled and luge tracks," according to police.

Staff Sgt. Paul Wyatt said police are continuing their efforts to identify all those involved. But it has been difficult due to the nature of the injuries, he said.

He said the survivors are "severely traumatized" and investigators are at hospital waiting to speak with them.

"Kids are kids, they make a decision they want to go and have some fun and usually they figure out a way to have it, so I don't believe that the road being open or closed would have made a difference, but who knows," he said.

more

Calgary bobsled track accident kills 2 teens, injures 6 - Calgary - CBC News

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Ya. You would think this would be one of those 'guess the country' things and it's like Russia or some other sh1t hole. But, nope, Canada.

I wonder if alcohol was involved?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I put this in the same category as the morons who knowingly risk their lives in an avalanche area.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I put this in the same category as the morons who knowingly risk their lives in an avalanche area.

Of course you do, especially since it wasn't your kids that died and got hurt.

and, of course, when you were a teen, you NEVER did anything that would be considered risky or "outside the law".

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
and, of course, when you were a teen, you NEVER did anything that would be considered risky or "outside the law".

Yeah, there were a number of things I did as a teen that could have gotten me seriously hurt or killed. I got lucky. These kids didnt. Unfortunately its in teens nature to take risks like these without thinking of the consequences.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Yeah, there were a number of things I did as a teen that could have gotten me seriously hurt or killed. I got lucky. These kids didnt. Unfortunately its in teens nature to take risks like these without thinking of the consequences.

That's right, but for some insensitive jerks, they just can't seem to keep from pointing the finger and telling everyone how much of a moron these kids were with the implication that it served them right. With no regard that these kids also had Mothers and Fathers that are going through hell right now.

I'm sure though, for some, they'll find a reason top blame the parents for this too.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That's right, but for some insensitive jerks, they just can't seem to keep from pointing the finger and telling everyone how much of a moron these kids were with the implication that it served them right. With no regard that these kids also had Mothers and Fathers that are going through hell right now.

I'm sure though, for some, they'll find a reason top blame the parents for this too.

Yep, all us normal brats acted like idiots at times. And we never even had the safety gear available today! Amazingly most of us survived.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

Same here.

I can see this happening if you live near the place. Not sure I would have been brave or silly enough to attempt sliding down that thing but I can see some young kids trying it. And who knows, maybe they had done it before and everything was okay.......

UPDATE

The twin 17-year-old brothers killed early Saturday after tobogganing down the bobsled track at Canada Olympic Park have been identified as Jordan and Evan Caldwell.

"We were reminded today that life is but a vapour," the family said in a statement released by Calgary police late Saturday.

"Life is precious, life is fragile, and we must redeem the time we're given."

Six other teens were taken to hospital after the incident, which occurred around 1:30 a.m. MT.

"Our boys Jordan and Evan were bright lights to all who knew them. We are grieving their loss but confident in their new home of heaven. Our brief 17 years with them were a gift: filled with much love, laughter and fond memories," the statement says.

"They leave a huge void and will be sorely missed."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-bobsled-accident-victims-identified-1.3437514

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That's right, but for some insensitive jerks, they just can't seem to keep from pointing the finger and telling everyone how much of a moron these kids were with the implication that it served them right.
When my buddy Robert and I shot a swollen river in the early spring, in nothing but a cheap blow up dingy from CanTrash, we were morons. Not sure if it would have 'served us right' if we had drowned, but it would have been our own fault.

Hmmm, that might be hard. Granddad was quite clear, "water plus cold equals death". But he did raise us to be tough and pretty darned adventurous.

Anyway, my heart goes out to the parents, I'm sure they're beside themselves with grief.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Reading through the O.P., I have an issue with calling
this an 'accident.' It is a 'tragedy' but not an 'accident.'

Eight kids didn't accidentally scale a fence in the night
with a toboggan and take it down an Olympic bobsled
track....hitting a locked gate/fence.

I can't imaging what the parents are going through. I did
all kinds of stupid things at that age, as I'm sure my son
also did....and I'm sure my son did stupid things at that
age that I still don't know about a decade later.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Right on all counts Ron. I know I should have been dead six times over in my youth.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

I'm 46, my dad still doesn't know all the **** my buddies and I got up to.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
According to the news the two people that died were twin brothers. It's a shame the company did not do enough to keep people out. There should have been a sign warning that the gate is closed on the track. The company is looking at a lawsuit and rightly so

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
According to the news the two people that died were twin brothers. It's a shame the company did not do enough to keep people out. There should have been a sign warning that the gate is closed on the track. The company is looking at a lawsuit and rightly so

Fenced area. A dozen security guards, two of which work
overnight. I'd be shocked if there where not signs also.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You're right, the locked gate and fence never says keep out... Derp.