Alberta Conservative member of the legislature killed on icy highway

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
THE CANADIAN PRESS
First posted: Monday, November 23, 2015 10:34 PM EST | Updated: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 12:23 AM EST
RED DEER, Alta. -- A Conservative member of the legislature lauded as "a big man with a giant heart" was killed Monday after stopping on an icy central Alberta highway to help a motorist whose car had flipped in a median.
Manmeet Bhullar, 35, who represented Calgary-Greenway, was one of only 10 Conservatives to win re-election this spring when the Tories under his long-time friend Jim Prentice were swept from power by the NDP.
"(I am) devastated to hear of the death of my friend and incredible public servant," said Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi.
He called Bhullar "a true warrior for fairness and justice ... a man who defined integrity, who was genuine in everything he did, who never stopped fighting so that everyone could live a life of dignity."
As a winter storm descended on Alberta around noon on Monday, Bhullar was heading back to Edmonton after attending the launch in Calgary of a research project on the Alberta Men's Survey, which will study men's thoughts on personal well-being and healthy interpersonal relationships.
RCMP did not identify Bhullar but issued a news release about the death of a 35-year-old man on Monday afternoon on the Queen Elizabeth II Highway north of Red Deer.
RCMP said at about 2:20 p.m., a vehicle lost control and rolled, and two other vehicles stopped on the shoulder of the highway to assist.
A semi-truck then lost control and struck the rear of the first vehicle, then continued into the median and struck the driver and sole occupant of the second vehicle, who was standing in the median. RCMP said the man was seriously injured and taken to hospital but later died of his injuries.
"It's typical that he would die in a selfless gesture of trying to help somebody else in need," former Alberta treasurer Jim Dinning in a telephone interview from Montreal.
"He was just a big, imposing guy and yet I always thought of him as a softie. He was determined and fierce but really cared about not so much about what people thought but how we could be doing better than we are."
Calgary MP Michelle Rempel said Bhullar was one of the first friends she made in Calgary and had a bright future in the rebuilding of the Alberta Tory party.
"I'm in shock," she said. "I still can't believe it's real."
Premier Rachel Notley called Bhullar's death a "terrible tragedy" and said "all Albertans should be proud of his significant contributions to public life," calling him a passionate advocate for the province. Opposition Wildrose Leader Brian Jean echoed those sentiments and said Bhullar's absence will be felt across the province.
Interim federal Conservative Leader Rona Ambrose tweeted her condolences, saying "we have all lost a friend."
Alberta's Tory caucus issued a statement lauding his passion and dedication and saying he "accomplished more in his brief time than most people accomplish in their lifetimes."
Bhullar had been minister of human services in the government of former premier Alison Redford, held the infrastructure portfolio under Prentice, and was most recently serving as the Tory party's critic on finance, the Treasury Board and infrastructure.
"On our last lunch, he told me about how being in opposition wasn't all bad," said Nenshi. "It gave him the time and capacity to work on issues that were very close to him, including the plight of Sikhs seeking to escape Afghanistan.
"I always looked forward to our long lunches over vegetarian Hakka Indian food and chai in our neighbourhood, talking politics and community and religion and pluralism and life," Nenshi said of Bhullar, who was a Sikh.
"He was one of the finest men I have ever met in politics, or anywhere."
The World Sikh Organization tweeted that "Canada, the Sikh community and Alberta have lost a gem. May his legacy live on forever."
Interim provincial Tory Leader Ric McIver noted Bhullar had recently returned from Brussels, where he was seeking safe spaces from European leaders for Sikh and Hindu refugees from Afghanistan.
Bhullar was born in Calgary and was first elected at the age of 28. He was the minister put in charge of the Tory government's file on the deaths of children in care, bringing in changes that were prompted by a Postmedia newspaper series that revealed gaps in child death investigations and the frustration of families who couldn't talk publicly about the their loved ones because of an automatic ban on their identities.
Following the series, Bhullar released information that showed hundreds of children had died who had previously been in care, were in indirect care, or had injuries under investigation.
Late Monday, his family issued a statement.
"The light in our lives went dark today," they said. "Manmeet Singh left us while he was doing what he loved more than anything -- helping someone else.
"He demanded excellence of himself and those around him. We are all better because of him."
Manmeet Bhullar pictured in this May 5, 2015 file photo. (Mike Drew/Calgary Sun/Postmedia Network)

Alberta Conservative member of the legislature killed on icy highway | Canada |

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
R.I.P. in memory of him we should mandate some form of gripping device be attached during icy conditions. Normally called tire-chains, taking traction control off is almost as helpful for those with that option. 1 wrap per drive wheel and one on a steering wheel will get you home but the 'chatter' doesn't go away until about 30k. A custom set can eliminate that drawback.

The next best thing is to put them on before you need them.

Another tragic global warming death.
Coming from a Lawyer are you saying he has just cause for a class action suit because he has no 'black-ice training' by the ones who own said roads?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The silver lining is the snow that comes with this blizzard covers the icy spots, the bad news is the ice is now polished so it is as slippery as marbles on a skating rink.
Our neighbors to the south and east will suffer more if the 5deg dip in temp that just passed caused big dumps of snow as this one is 5x colder when adding in windchill. The snow is due to the chinook winds that were here before and are due to return.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
THE CANADIAN PRESS
First posted: Monday, November 23, 2015 10:34 PM EST | Updated: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 12:23 AM EST
RED DEER, Alta. -- A Conservative member of the legislature lauded as "a big man with a giant heart" was killed Monday after stopping on an icy central Alberta highway to help a motorist whose car had flipped in a median.
Manmeet Bhullar, 35, who represented Calgary-Greenway, was one of only 10 Conservatives to win re-election this spring when the Tories under his long-time friend Jim Prentice were swept from power by the NDP.
"(I am) devastated to hear of the death of my friend and incredible public servant," said Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi.

Alberta Conservative member of the legislature killed on icy highway | Canada |

It just doesn't get any sadder than that. R.I.P. Manmeet!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
R.I.P. in memory of him we should mandate some form of gripping device be attached during icy conditions. Normally called tire-chains, taking traction control off is almost as helpful for those with that option. 1 wrap per drive wheel and one on a steering wheel will get you home but the 'chatter' doesn't go away until about 30k. A custom set can eliminate that drawback.

The next best thing is to put them on before you need them.

Coming from a Lawyer are you saying he has just cause for a class action suit because he has no 'black-ice training' by the ones who own said roads?
Take your pills.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Thousands gather at Calgary's Jubilee Auditorium to remember MLA Manmeet Bhullar, killed in highway collision
By Laura Booth, Calgary Sun
First posted: Sunday, November 29, 2015 06:55 PM EST | Updated: Sunday, November 29, 2015 09:24 PM EST
Thousands attended Sunday’s state funeral for Calgary MLA Manmeet Bhullar, recently killed in a collision along the Queen Elizabeth II Hwy. while helping another motorist.
Former Alberta Premier Jim Prentice opened the service on the dimly lit stage of the Jubilee Auditorium in Calgary, where Bhullar’s body lay surrounded by flickering candles.
“Manmeet would have been surprised and humbled by the response to his death,” said Prentice.
“He would have smiled that infectious smile.”
The 35-year-old Bhullar, who was first elected to the legislature as a Progressive Conservative in 2008 in the riding of Calgary-Montrose (later Calgary-Greenway), died Nov. 23, while commuting to Edmonton from Calgary.
He had stopped to assist a driver involved in a collision when a semi truck lost control and struck him.
At his memorial service Sunday, nearly 2,400 crammed into the theatre, others watched via televisions in the foyer, and about 400 more watched from an overfill room in SAIT’s gymnasium.
Politicians of all political leanings turned out to bid farewell to their friend and colleague, including Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi.
“I once asked him if he was the first turban Sikh to serve as a cabinet in Canada, and he said, ‘actually I don’t know, I think maybe,’” said Nenshi, who was quick to point out Bhullar’s inspirational legacy.
“It is a remarkable thing, because it says to every single kid in this community, it doesn’t matter what you look like, or where you come from, or what you wear on your head, or how you worship or who you love ... every single kid in this community deserves the chance to live a great Canadian life.”
And in a touching eulogy that was sometimes funny and at other times incredibly sad, Bhullar’s older sister Tarjinder Kaur Bhullar, spoke of her brother’s commitment to his faith, family, constituents and his family’s immigrant past.
“Never, when my parents immigrated to this country over 40 years ago, would they have imagined that one day their son would be this loved by Calgarians, Albertans, and Canadians as one of their own,” she said.
laura.booth@sunmedia.ca
On Twitter: @SUNLauraBooth
Notable quotes:
“Thank you for giving me the greatest love I will ever know.” — Namrita Kaur Rattan, Bhullar’s wife.
“For some reason he put me on a pedestal. Most little did he know that he was actually carrying me and many of us on his shoulders.” — Canadian Minister of National Defence and Bhullar’s friend, Harjit Singh Sajjan in a video tribute.
“I know you feel that with his passing that the light has gone out of your lives, but as someone who also lost a family member who served the province I can tell you that despite the overwhelming circumstances you face right now, you will find that the enduring legacy of respect Manmeet enjoyed amongst Albertans will be a source of comfort to your whole family for decades to come.” — Alberta Premier, Rachel Notley in a letter read aloud by Bhullar’s sister, Tarjinder Bhullar.
“Manmeet was guided by the value of public service and the passionate devotion to improving our country and the lives of all Canadians. Indeed, his commitment to young people, to volunteerism, to community service and to advocacy will continue to live on.” — Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau in a letter read by Jim Prentice.
“While Manmeet was six years younger than I am, he was one of the most influential people in my life. And in fact, he was instrumental in encouraging me to first get involved in politics.” — Tim Singh Uppal, former Conservative Member of Parliament for Edmonton-Sherwood Park and Bhullar’s friend.

Thousands gather at Calgary's Jubilee Auditorium to remember MLA Manmeet Bhullar

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
geeez that is sad.

He was waaaaay too young to die. Sympahies go out to his family and friends from hubby and me.