Notley fires back at Prime Minister Harper

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Premier Rachel Notley is firing back after Prime Minister Stephen Harper said Alberta's NDP government is a "disaster."

The comment comes just one day after Harper called an 11-week federal election campaign with a vote set for Oct. 19.

During a campaign stop in Montreal, QC, on Monday, Harper criticized Alberta's NDP government for being unable to present a budget following the spring provincial election while raising both corporate and personal income taxes. In the French-language address, he said the new government is a "disaster" that's been "rejected by the populations."

In a statement on Tuesday, Notley said Alberta is replacing "regressive taxes with better ones" including a "normal progressive income tax system, similar to the ones Canadians have in all other provinces."

"Alberta doesn't have a sales tax so we still have, by far, the lowest overall provincial taxes in Canada," she said.

"Protecting the jobs and incomes of regular working families rather than that of wealthy Conservative friends and insiders is helping to put our province on the path to economic recovery."

Speaking with reporters in Calgary on Tuesday, Finance Minister Joe Ceci seemed unperturbed by Harper's comments. He called the Conservative leader's address "electioneering" and defended the new government's record.

In June, the NDP government passed Bill 2 which introduced five separate tax brackets for Alberta residents and instituted a hike from 10 per cent to 12 per cent on businesses.

While Albertans making less than $125,000 a year will see their tax rate remain at 10 per cent, anyone making between $125,000 and $150,000 will now be taxed 12 per cent; between $150,000 and $200,000 will be 13 per cent; between $200,000 and $300,000 is 14 per cent; and income over $300,000 will be taxed at a rate of 15 per cent.

Alberta Premier Notley fires back at Prime Minister Harper | Alberta | News | Ed

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So shoot him for being right?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Notley might break the Dipper mold, but going by past Dipper performances Harper is on safe ground. I see Mulcair is going out of his way to prove how f**king stupid he is. No one person can put a country into a recession, let alone two, no matter how hard they try.:)

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Notley might break the Dipper mold, but going by past Dipper performances Harper is on safe ground. I see Mulcair is going out of his way to prove how f**king stupid he is. No one person can put a country into a recession, let alone two, no matter how hard they try.:)

SHe has already raised taxes. Its the dipper way after all.
For some stupid reason I can never quite figure out dippers are always claiming business is not paying it's fair share of the tax burden. Do they not know where businesses get their money from in the first place? Now I can see taxing the $hit out of exports but to add yet more burden to the long suffering Canadian taxpayer makes no sense at all.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
SHe has already raised taxes. Its the dipper way after all.
For some stupid reason I can never quite figure out dippers are always claiming business is not paying it's fair share of the tax burden. Do they not know where businesses get their money from in the first place? Now I can see taxing the $hit out of exports but to add yet more burden to the long suffering Canadian taxpayer makes no sense at all.

Of course you are right, every tax eventually falls on the consumer, but the likes of Mulcair are too stupid to see that. I suppose the lack of sales tax in AB gives Notley the idea that other taxes can stand bumping up. The timing of course is hay wire, AB IS in recession! I think, however there is light at the end of the tunnel, every voter with an I.Q. above 2 is surely figuring out that Mulcair is too stupid to be P.M. :)

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Of course you are right, every tax eventually falls on the consumer, but the likes of Mulcair are too stupid to see that. I suppose the lack of sales tax in AB gives Notley the idea that other taxes can stand bumping up. The timing of course is hay wire, AB IS in recession! I think, however there is light at the end of the tunnel, every voter with an I.Q. above 2 is surely figuring out that Mulcair is too stupid to be P.M. :)
But but those evil corporations don't you know ?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

I must have a low IQ so you best show me what you are referring to regarding Mulcair..........

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The Liberal way is the better way. When Notly is voted out the Libereals will pick up the Alberta peices.

You're kidding, right? The Alberta Liberals? Now THERE'S a joke. The Alberta Liberal Party is what the Federal Liberal Party is going to end up looking like with Justin at the helm.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I must have a low IQ so you best show me what you are referring to regarding Mulcair..........

Geez, you need me to draw you a map? Jr. made him look like an absolute "a$$hole" with his "number 9", but what took the cake and a lb. of icing along with it was his reference to Harper causing two recessions. Anyone with two working brain cells knows full well one man can not a recession cause, especially as the rest of the world is in one. Mulcair is either inordinately stupid or grossly dishonest. The party would do well to jettison him now and get someone else in before the 37 day deadline around Sept. 12. :) :) :) :)

You're kidding, right? The Alberta Liberals? Now THERE'S a joke. The Alberta Liberal Party is what the Federal Liberal Party is going to end up looking like with Justin at the helm.

Sorry to have to admit to you, Ger, that Jr. now appears to be head and shoulders above Mulcair. Never thought I'd have to think that! :)

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Geez, you need me to draw you a map? Jr. made him look like an absolute "a$$hole" with his "number 9", but what took the cake and a lb. of icing along with it was his reference to Harper causing two recessions. Anyone with two working brain cells knows full well one man can not a recession cause, especially as the rest of the world is in one. Mulcair is either inordinately stupid or grossly dishonest. The party would do well to jettison him now and get someone else in before the 37 day deadline around Sept. 12. :) :) :) :)

Sorry to have to admit to you, Ger, that Jr. now appears to be head and shoulders above Mulcair. Never thought I'd have to think that! :)

Sounds to me like mulcair and trudeau are 2 pees in a pod.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Possibly but Jr. may have a human face to him!

Well, if you consider someone that has forced "his" MP's to support the wholesale murder of children through abortion has a "human face", then you and I have different definitions.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Sounds to me like mulcair and trudeau are 2 pees in a pod.

They are grasping at straws, pretty short ones, I thought Mulcair had the advantage but I think he's dead last of the candidates now. Besides that he spends more time belittling and bad mouthing Harper than he does laying out strategies of what he is going to do as P.M. and convincing voters how he's going to make his plans work. He's an IDIOT!