Alberta quietly allows organ harvesting from children who die in provincial care

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Treaty 8 Grand Chief Steve Courtoreille said he is upset that First Nations were not made aware of the practice until now.

“Having just learned of this policy, I am horrified, appalled and, quite frankly, mad as hell that this is happening and that it has been working quietly in the background for so long,” said Courtoreille in a statement.

With an already high number of Aboriginal children in care, a 2013 investigation conducted by the Edmonton Journal and Calgary Herald revealed a startling trend in the deaths of children in care in Alberta. The investigation uncovered that while only nine per cent of Alberta children are Indigenous they accounted for 78 per cent of children who have died in foster care since 1999.

“We have children in care that are dying, and now, we find out that they may be harvesting their organs?” said Courtorielle. “It is disgusting, they are dying under provincial care, in a provincial system. Last year, we had 20 Aboriginal children die in care, does this policy mean all these kids had their organs removed? What is going on in this province?”

Treaty 8 officials are demanding that First Nations be consulted on the organ donation policy and that it be amended.

Courtoreille said that removing dead children’s organs shouldn’t be a decision for the province to make. He said the practice needs to stop immediately.

“Part of our culture is that a body must be whole when it goes back to the Creator, not dissected as the government sees fit,” said Courtoreille. “The problem is that we are not a part of these conversations, instead, the Province just did it. In the 8 years this policy has been in place how many of our children have been sent back missing parts? Honestly, if people aren’t shocked by this, then they just aren’t listening.”

Courtoreille said he is also concerned First Nations organizations don’t have access to records to find out information about the Aboriginal children who have died in care and if their organs were removed.

Treaty 8 is aware of at least one past instance of the province harvesting a dead child’s organs without consent from the family.

In an email to APTN, the Ministry of Health said they are more than willing to sit down and discuss concerns about the policy with First Nation representatives. They also said it is extremely rare for medical authorities to ask for organ and tissue donations.

more

Grand Chief ‘horrified’ Alberta quietly allows organ harvesting from children who die in provincial care | APTN National NewsAPTN National News

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I do not understand what the problem is..."parents make the decision regarding organ donation" if a child is in care then essentially the province is the parent,

everyone should donate whatever organs are healthy enough to help

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I'm sure the NDP will do the left thing.
And what is the left thing, Walter? What are the poltics, left and right, of organ donation?

Why don't you just save time and post "I hate anybody to the right of me politically."? You could set up a macro. Save a tone of time.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
And what is the left thing, Walter? What are the poltics, left and right, of organ donation?

Why don't you just save time and post "I hate anybody to the right of me politically."? You could set up a macro. Save a tone of time.
As I have posted before, your brain is sclerotic.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
The investigation uncovered that while only nine per cent of Alberta children are Indigenous they accounted for 78 per cent of children who have died in foster care since 1999.
Something is a little off here. Do they mean nine percent of all children in the province or nine percent of children in care ? Sounds like spin doctoring to me, of children in care what percentage are indigenous ?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Something is a little off here. Do they mean nine percent of all children in the province or nine percent of children in care ?

The investigation uncovered that while only nine per cent of Alberta children are Indigenous they accounted for 78 per cent of children who have died in foster care since 1999.

out of all of the kids in foster care who have died, 78% have been Indigenous... but they only count for a tiny percentage of kids who enter foster care so there is something wrong yes...

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
And yours is obsessive and filled with terror. So?
I'm afraid of everything.

this is a short form of 'so clearly erotic'

I'm pretty sure you turn him on, Tee!
A you're too daft to check a word's meaning.

out of all of the kids in foster care who have died, 78% have been Indigenous... but they only count for a tiny percentage of kids who enter foster care...
What % is that and give a link for your source.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
And yours is obsessive and filled with terror. So?
what is with this whole fear mongering thing with certain political ideologies?I am naturally filled with fear,but the whole fear mongering thing in politics i never really have understood,I try to be optimistic about politics.the tatic of motivating reminds me of certain church's who fill their members with fear and regret,mold them to think they have lots to fear in the after world if they don't conform in the real world.Certain political ideas create fear mongering through purposeful division.
i actually studied certain personalities and their ability to grasp fear in politics and hold this fear dear to their hearts,there are many influencing factors which make people buy into fear mongering,much to lengthy to write about this time.
first and foremost of all for influences of fear mongering to be successful you must believe certain political parties holds the correct methods and means to salvation to Canadians,myself I am not really into parties as much as having a balance of healthy projections or some may say a healthy plan.The Conservatives failed Alberta on this healthy plan.As Albertans we have been governed with neglect,prejustices,discrimination and fear mongering,we are fed up,we Albertans seek balance and good governing and more so we seek operating as one identity.
Alberta is oneProviince this morning,(except for the pouting Conservatives who think they have special identity and all their business affairs are the best methods0
Alberta as a Province has been purposefully fragmented,this type of politics makes any type of business dificult in the long run,sure these tatics has had its advantages in the 80's and 90's,but it is a new world of business,out with the old ways.Building confidence starts with change.
The rest of the world must know Alberta has been governed with filth and corruption and Albertans have lived under this regime for way too long,it is and was horrible living with such corruption.We,as Albertans, not only voted for big change,we had no choice but to ask for change.Everything was be governed horrible here,I mean everything.
for myself,I may even go out to poltics and play,who knows?
Once again this election was about no choice but to................
Albertans look back at our past with shame and regret,this morning Albertans look to the future with hope and excitement.
my voting strategies was not so much about me,but more for my grandchildren and Alberta as a sustainable Province .The choices were limited.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007

of course you're too daft to presume it's from the OP link and check it yourself

... is that sclerosis? or just a log in your eye, Wally?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

it's in the article Walter and regardless, with your drive by postings you should be one of the last ones asking for link sources.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
what wally fears most is being wrong

and his fear is so naturally well-founded

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Yes. And you lash out at anything that could bring about any sort of change to the world you're comfortable in. And you kiss the *** of whichever right-winger is closest because you are so terrified that you actually believe his lies about how he'll take things back to 1954.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
out of all of the kids in foster care who have died, 78% have been Indigenous... but they only count for a tiny percentage of kids who enter foster care so there is something wrong yes...

How many of those died because their birth mother drank alcohol or did drugs during pregnancy? Or were placed in foster care due to abuse. Raw death numbers can hide other causes.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
of course you're too daft to presume it's from the OP link and check it yourself

... is that sclerosis? or just a log in your eye, Wally?
Your daftness is slipping. The article does not say what % of children in foster care are first nations.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
what is with this whole fear mongering thing with certain political ideologies?I am naturally filled with fear,but the whole fear mongering thing in politics i never really have understood,I try to be optimistic about politics.the tatic of motivating reminds me of certain church's who fill their members with fear and regret,mold them to think they have lots to fear in the after world if they don't conform in the real world.Certain political ideas create fear mongering through purposeful division.
i actually studied certain personalities and their ability to grasp fear in politics and hold this fear dear to their hearts,there are many influencing factors which make people buy into fear mongering,much to lengthy to write about this time.
first and foremost of all for influences of fear mongering to be successful you must believe certain political parties holds the correct methods and means to salvation to Canadians,myself I am not really into parties as much as having a balance of healthy projections or some may say a healthy plan.The Conservatives failed Alberta on this healthy plan.As Albertans we have been governed with neglect,prejustices,discrimination and fear mongering,we are fed up,we Albertans seek balance and good governing and more so we seek operating as one identity.
Alberta is oneProviince this morning,(except for the pouting Conservatives who think they have special identity and all their business affairs are the best methods0
Alberta as a Province has been purposefully fragmented,this type of politics makes any type of business dificult in the long run,sure these tatics has had its advantages in the 80's and 90's,but it is a new world of business,out with the old ways.Building confidence starts with change.
The rest of the world must know Alberta has been governed with filth and corruption and Albertans have lived under this regime for way too long,it is and was horrible living with such corruption.We,as Albertans, not only voted for big change,we had no choice but to ask for change.Everything was be governed horrible here,I mean everything.
for myself,I may even go out to poltics and play,who knows?
Once again this election was about no choice but to................
Albertans look back at our past with shame and regret,this morning Albertans look to the future with hope and excitement.
my voting strategies was not so much about me,but more for my grandchildren and Alberta as a sustainable Province .The choices were limited.
That is because you have never suffered under an NDP government like BC has, twice. Both times economic disasters.