Edmonton father jailed for throwing infant son in 'frustration'

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Edmonton father jailed for throwing infant son in 'frustration'
By Tony Blais, Edmonton Sun First posted: Saturday, April 18, 2015 09:54 AM EDT
EDMONTON -- A tearful Edmonton father who vigorously threw his 13-week baby boy "in a moment of frustration" - causing a severe brain injury - was put behind bars on Friday.
Kelly Scott Hilbert, 40, was sentenced to six months in jail, to be followed by two years of probation, after earlier pleading guilty to aggravated assault.
Justice Sterling Sanderman accepted Hilbert had thrown his son when he "lost his temper for one instant," but ruled it was a "terribly, terribly dangerous thing to do" with "catastrophic results."
Sanderman also ruled that it was a "gross violation" of the trust placed on parents.
"You abused that trust," said Sanderman, adding that all parents have to know that if they commit such crimes, they will be facing jail terms.
The judge rejected the Crown's call for a sentence of three to four years in prison, noting Hilbert was remorseful and had tearfully apologized, he had no prior criminal record and good family support and he has been separated from his wife and their three children for 30 months.
"Surely you did not intend this harm. That's a given," said Sanderman. "This was a sudden act with little time of reflection."
According to an agreed statement of facts, on the evening of Aug. 19, 2012, Hilbert's wife had gone to take a nap and left him in charge of their then-two-year-old son and their then-13-week-old twin boy and girl.
In a basement bedroom, Hilbert laid a blanket on a bed beside a small vibrating infant chair with a metal frame and then went to another room to get the infant boy.
While walking back to the bedroom, the baby grabbed Hilbert's chest hair, gripping it tightly, and, as he stood over the bed, he threw the baby down onto the bed.
The baby bounced on its back up from the bed and flipped over and banged his head on the metal frame of the infant chair as he came down.
"This throw was vigorous, with the force equivalent of a fall from a two-to-three-storey building, or a significant high impact vehicle collision, such as would cause extensive exterior car damage," according to the agreed facts.
Hilbert later woke his wife and told her there was something wrong with the baby, but didn't tell her anything that caused her concern.
She called 911 and the baby was taken to hospital, where it was determined he had suffered a severe brain injury.
There was also a bruise on the baby's face with a pattern that was consistent with a slap.
Court heard Hilbert admitted to police what he had done after initially giving an untrue story.
A pediatrician testified the boy, who is now nearly three, has good motor skills, but some cognitive delay, and said he cannot predict whether there will be future problems.
Before being sentenced, Hilbert tearfully read out a letter to his son, saying he was "so sorry" for his "careless act" and thinks about it every day.
"I failed as a father. I was too proud to ask for help," he said, ending by saying he loves him so much and vowing that he will always be there for him.
Edmonton father jailed for throwing infant son in 'frustration' | Canada | News

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Remorse comes exactle 1 second after the baby stopped moving from the throw. The 'delay in getting help' and the initial lie and the tears were for himself and the longer jail term that was initially proposed. Not seeing any of them until they were 18 would have been my solution.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Remorse comes exactle 1 second after the baby stopped moving from the throw. The 'delay in getting help' and the initial lie and the tears were for himself and the longer jail term that was initially proposed. Not seeing any of them until they were 18 would have been my solution.
he needs to see his son every day of his life as a reminder of what he did and that he has impaired that child...jail time is way too easy

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Jail with his cell mate as being an infant and treated as such, Bubba the infant will do more than pull a few chest hairs when 'stop' doesn't seem to be working. I got no sympathy for either parent. 30 months?? Time to make a choice, fully in or fully out

Not without seen some chest hairs in the baby's hand. Solution button the shirt up and look after the baby who is awake by taking them out of the crib and watching the 3 year old eat and then get taken to the nearest park where there are 10 more 3 year old waiting for him to show up, like when mommy is the only parent at home. Dad was trying to poke mom and the baby waking up was enough to piss him off so he was already in a rage when he got in the room and that 'shaking and toss' was to shut the child up so he could get back in the sack with mom.. In this they should both be taking a child rearing course and his remorse should include a 'snip' as more children would be even more stress and the weaker ones are the ones that would pay the price.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Not without seen some chest hairs in the baby's hand. Solution button the shirt up and look after the baby who is awake by taking them out of the crib and watching the 3 year old eat and then get taken to the nearest park where there are 10 more 3 year old waiting for him to show up, like when mommy is the only parent at home. Dad was trying to poke mom and the baby waking up was enough to piss him off so he was already in a rage when he got in the room and that 'shaking and toss' was to shut the child up so he could get back in the sack with mom.. In this they should both be taking a child rearing course and his remorse should include a 'snip' as more children would be even more stress and the weaker ones are the ones that would pay the price.
according to the article, she was asleep and he had taken the kids to the basement which would explain why she didn't hear the child screaming...regardless, for me the reason precipitating the throw is irrelevant, suffice to say he has/had anger management problems which need addressing.

I agree that more children thrown into the equation would create way too much increased stress on an already overloaded individual and yes in anger management issues the weakest are the first to suffer

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Whose' parents would have jailed for how you were disciplined? Raise your hand.

"Hi!"
latch key kid so possibly...but I was never hit or neglected...I think my parents were excellent but from today's legal standpoint, I might have been removed from the home...then again, they leave kids in foster care/ homes after the kids have been molested so six of one, half a dozen of another

who knows

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
How many times did it take to learn not to touch a hot stove? Everybody knows the answer of "once". Why was the lesson effective for life?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
How many times did it take to learn not to touch a hot stove? Everybody knows the answer of "once". Why was the lesson effective for life?
I was cooking by the time I was 7...child welfare would not have liked that...I could make eggs and soup and whatever else took my fancy...I never once burnt myself or left the stove on...EVer. But I was a trustworthy kid.

I refused to go back to the babysitters after being told by my neighbour that I was a bad girl because I made his wife cry for refusing to eat something she had made me for lunch...I still remember after all these years feeling completely devastated that she was crying but I still wouldn't eat it and I wouldn't go back regardless of what my parents did...god knows they tried, so after much discussion it was decided I was better off left alone...and I was...

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Whose' parents would have jailed for how you were disciplined? Raise your hand.

"Hi!"
Like I would give a fuk if my two brothers were tossed into the 'hole' for life. My parents were actually my protectors, that is what I was able to learn so much from them. I'm quite sure both of them would have voted me 'asset of the year' over them in most years.

Consistency in your life seems to be geared to fantasy over facts. A common problem with combine pilots who run their human relationships from the cab of said machine. When my now 'X' first came out with the 'I thought of you the whole day.' I knew it was not going to work out in the long run as what factual can ever be as good or bad as a fantasy version.
I don't mind your fantasy version of me as being I am wrong about everything all the time. That you have to use that as your pat answer is a bit puzzling as I wouldn't spend the effort in a reply to somebody I truly find to be irrelevant to my real world. You get all that??

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
That you remember.
no I really never did or it would have been talked about in latter years because years later we would discuss how laws made to protect kids are good but sometimes parents know their kids best and intervention is not always in the best interests of the child

now I did almost burn down the garage...but that's a whole other story....lol

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Teaching respect and safety through discipline is not within the best interest of the child?

The entire animal kingdom are steeped in criminality. Lock em' up before kitty gets a bite to the scruff from mom.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Teaching respect and safety through discipline is not within the best interest of the child?

The entire animal kingdom are steeped in criminality.
sorry but I have no idea what you are talking about in response to my reply

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
. . . it was decided I was better off left alone...and I was...
A person is never alone. My Grandson chose to have a dog be the babysitter and the 'adult' babysitter was there to call 911 if needed. Iwas the 'official food tester' in my early days as bread-making was part of the preparation. Pastry was altered to add an extra cup as I ate that before it nade it to the oven.
Today that would mean the fridge is opened and some dinner can be made or a reheat is all there is needed as far as working with 'dangerous tools' Chili and spaghetti sauce made in bulk on my day off.

BTW parents follow the child's hours rather than an infant being expected to follow the adults sleeping habits. A few more parent trends that I thing are 'wrong'. Cribbers should be set up in the closet of the room the parents sleep in. What is normally kept in the closet can be put into the 'baby's room until the baby is ready for a bed. That would fit the twins in this story and a 'smat parent' already knows from the night before what time feeding time is so if crying is hard on your nerves why not prepare the bottle before and5 minutes before the time they get up and are back in the room with the bottle ready for when the baby first stirs and the cry part is the sign to insert said bottle,. Real small would need the baby to be burped so as soon as that was done they can go back to bed, older they can do the bottle on their own and then they also go back to sleep.

It might make you roll your eyes but the best mother is probably the one that has a child because her own social life sucks and a child would give them purpose in life. Most aren't read for the part that shows them they are the total slave in the relationship until the age of 6 and then school friends star to take up the 'most important person in my life role. If you don't believe that watch a mother and a child as they interact in malls and public streets. The holding the hand of 1 8 year old while crossing the street is a comfort for who, the mother or the child? I would go with the mother being the insecure one or she is living in the past and is treating the child as if he was much younger and a bit stupid in that he can't get across a street on their own.
By the age of 3 a child should stop and look both ways all on their own and from that point on if hand-holding is needed it is the child starting and stopping the 'parent' as that would be the invented game to get the child aware of what is going on. If he is used to being submissive he might be more inclined to dart out into the street and the dangers that come with that.

I don't think the father was doing any disciplining here.
Sure he was, that is how a 3 year old knows a draft horse pulls things by tightening the harness and then takes one step back ant 'leans forward' until whatever is behind starts moving and then the horse starts to walk. That kind of parenting?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I don't think the father was doing any disciplining here.

How many kids do you have?

What would any other primate do? Grunt " f-ck it" and go search out a fermented coconut to "calm his nerves"?

We are every bit the animal they are.

Did he go too far causing injury? Yup.

As a human animal what would you do when a child just won't shut up?

As a mother what would you do?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
A person is never alone. My Grandson chose to have a dog be the babysitter and the 'adult' babysitter was there to call 911 if needed. Iwas the 'official food tester' in my early days as bread-making was part of the preparation. Pastry was altered to add an extra cup as I ate that before it nade it to the oven.
Today that would mean the fridge is opened and some dinner can be made or a reheat is all there is needed as far as working with 'dangerous tools' Chili and spaghetti sauce made in bulk on my day off.

BTW parents follow the child's hours rather than an infant being expected to follow the adults sleeping habits. A few more parent trends that I thing are 'wrong'. Cribbers should be set up in the closet of the room the parents sleep in. What is normally kept in the closet can be put into the 'baby's room until the baby is ready for a bed. That would fit the twins in this story and a 'smat parent' already knows from the night before what time feeding time is so if crying is hard on your nerves why not prepare the bottle before and5 minutes before the time they get up and are back in the room with the bottle ready for when the baby first stirs and the cry part is the sign to insert said bottle,. Real small would need the baby to be burped so as soon as that was done they can go back to bed, older they can do the bottle on their own and then they also go back to sleep.

It might make you roll your eyes but the best mother is probably the one that has a child because her own social life sucks and a child would give them purpose in life. Most aren't read for the part that shows them they are the total slave in the relationship until the age of 6 and then school friends star to take up the 'most important person in my life role. If you don't believe that watch a mother and a child as they interact in malls and public streets. The holding the hand of 1 8 year old while crossing the street is a comfort for who, the mother or the child? I would go with the mother being the insecure one or she is living in the past and is treating the child as if he was much younger and a bit stupid in that he can't get across a street on their own.
By the age of 3 a child should stop and look both ways all on their own and from that point on if hand-holding is needed it is the child starting and stopping the 'parent' as that would be the invented game to get the child aware of what is going on. If he is used to being submissive he might be more inclined to dart out into the street and the dangers that come with that.

Sure he was, that is how a 3 year old knows a draft horse pulls things by tightening the harness and then takes one step back ant 'leans forward' until whatever is behind starts moving and then the horse starts to walk. That kind of parenting?
yes I actually was alone in the house...my parents were at work and I came home for lunch and I liked soup...there were no microwaves in those days....my dad didn't get home from work until an hour after school let out...so I was alone in the house then too...now...it was a different era so houses were unlocked, neighbours knew us and there were other latchkey kids on the block too

and

I was way better off than the rich kid who lived beside me and came home to an alcoholic mum who might or might not have been passed out on the bed...mostly all day actually...I liked her though way better than the old nag who cried because I wouldn't eat what she had prepared for me...kids know...they do have an instinct...parents who know their kids well know just how far to trust their kids...and kids will respond to that

each kid is different and should be treated thus