Little towns get bad names because of this kind of nonsense

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Embarrassing’ new bylaw in Taber, Alberta outlaws swearing, restricts public assembly

With a sweeping new bylaw, the southern Alberta town of Taber has outlawed swearing in public, instituted a nightly curfew on kids and teenagers, and granted local law enforcement the power to break up any assemblies of three or more people.

The new “Community Standards Bylaw” is clearly unconstitutional, said Lisa Lambert, a PhD candidate and instructor in political science at the University of Calgary, who lives in Coaldale, about 35 kilometres west of Taber.

“Little towns get bad names because of this kind of nonsense,” Lambert said. “This is so embarrassing.”

Taber chief administrative officer Greg Birch said the bylaw was drafted in part by the Taber Police Service “to provide for better and more consistent oversight, bylaw enforcement and policing of various matters,” according to town council minutes.

Adults are also prohibited from assembling in a public place in a group of three or more where a peace officer “has reasonable grounds to believe the assembly will disturb the peace of the neighborhood,” according to the section of the bylaw that deals with “Assembly of Persons.”

Taber is a town of 8,000 people located about 250 kilometres southeast of Calgary.

more

‘Embarrassing’ new bylaw in Taber, Alberta outlaws swearing, restricts public assembly | Metro

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
**** yeah!!!!

Now maybe they can start to deal with that 'rock and or roll' music all these damned kids are listening to now a days!!

:D

What a joke.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
There's a place near me which has a bad name.

It's called Nob End.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Funny, when Whistler banned swearing back in the 90s the left thought it was so wonderful. Especially since their mayor of the time was openly gay.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Funny, when Whistler banned swearing back in the 90s the left thought it was so wonderful. Especially since their mayor of the time was openly gay.

That much different, you understand.

Being in the mountains around all those valleys offers up ample opportunity for echos, so if someone swore, it would echo thereby repeating the same swear many times.

That is why it makes sense to the leftards for a mountain village, but as there is no echo on the prairies, does not make sense there.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
That much different, you understand.

Being in the mountains around all those valleys offers up ample opportunity for echos, so if someone swore, it would echo thereby repeating the same swear many times.

That is why it makes sense to the leftards for a mountain village, but as there is no echo on the prairies, does not make sense there.

Meaning that little kids three ****hole towns away would hear the words. Yeah I can see the difference.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Sure it does. Two dimensional places breed two dimensional thinking, which would explain the prairies being mostly rightards.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Understand that Taber is a Mormon town and a small town. They would like to keep their town within their own life experience. When 90+ % of the people want something, let them have it. When they become outnumbered it can be changed, if you don't like it, fuk you.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Understand that Taber is a Mormon town and a small town.

You're thinking of Cardston. Taber isn't a "Mormon" town. This bylaw stems from a problem that many southern Alberta towns are having with the Mexican Mennonite population. They have a tendency to loiter and cause problems.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I live in a forest and my neighbours are deer, bear and elk. And when I have a BBQ, it is my neighbours that are on the grill. I live in a three dimensional world, unlike flat landers who think the world is as flat as their heads and their "sense of humour".

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
According to Statistics Canada, 86% of Taber residents were identified with a Christian denomination in 2011; the other 14% had no religious affiliation. The NHS data recorded no Hindus, Jews, Muslims, Sikhs, Buddhists or people who followed aboriginal spirituality.