Jimbo Prentice Pokes Albertans in the Eye With a Sharp Stick

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

Alberta's unelected premier, Jim Prentice, better learn to bite his tongue.

Prentice has sparked a bit of a furor by blaming his constituents for the mess the province now finds itself in.

Premier Jim Prentice is facing a social media backlash after telling Albertans to "look in the mirror" to find who is responsible for the province's current financial woes.

Well, sure Jim, that's right - in part at least but only in part.

Your government didn't do those things because they were good for the province or for the people of Alberta, current and future. Your government squandered your energy revenues like a piss-drunk sailor in order to buy your way through election after election with faux prosperity for - well, forever.

You knew better. The last sentient premier that despoiled province had warned you. Peter Lougheed drew you a map through the energy minefield, showing you how to use it as a bounty, not a curse. Peter Lougheed was not only the last intelligent premier, he was also the last honest premier Alberta has known.

And, by trying to shirk the blame for your government's own policies, you're showing that its business as usual under your management.

#PrenticeBlamesAlbertans goes viral after Jim Prentice's 'look in the mirror' comment - Edmonton - CBC News

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Actually he was elected. You just got stoned and missed it. Like the CBC journalist that wrote this drivel.

Stop being so silly. He was "elected" to the position of MLA. He was "elected" to the position of leader of the Conservative Party. The taxpayers of the province of Alberta had no real say in the matter. That's what was meant by unelected. Perhaps if such simple concepts have to explained to you, this may not be the proper place for you.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Stop being so silly. He was "elected" to the position of MLA. He was "elected" to the position of leader of the Conservative Party. The taxpayers of the province of Alberta had no real say in the matter. That's what was meant by unelected. Perhaps if such simple concepts have to explained to you, this may not be the proper place for you.

He was also elected as Premier. Just you have no idea how our system works. Or much else.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
It's been cyclical for a very long time, albeit, only a handful of instances where the commodity price has swung so dramatically.

It'll right itself again

Commodities are cyclical. Everybody knows it, but nobody ever really plans for it.

I think Jimbo could have been more nuanced in his approach though. If I were him I would have said "Alberta has to stop acting like a drunk on Welfare Wednesday every time the price of oil goes up." :lol:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Commodities are cyclical. Everybody knows it, but nobody ever really plans for it.

I think Jimbo could have been more nuanced in his approach though. If I were him I would have said "Alberta has to stop acting like a drunk on Welfare Wednesday every time the price of oil goes up." :lol:

Gotta agree with you there... What he said was bang-on, however, not politically savvy.