The Not-So-Crazy Plan to Build an Ice-Skating Highway Through Edmonton

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The Not-So-Crazy Plan to Build an Ice-Skating Highway Through Edmonton

The “Freezeway” is a proposed 6.8-mile ice skating lane for Edmonton, Canada.
Matt Gibbs

Considering most the rinks are circular, ice skating doesn’t seem like an especially good way to actually get somewhere other than where you started. But if a young Canadian gets his way, that could change.
He’s suggested building something he calls the Freezeway, a 6.8-mile skating lane through Edmonton, Alberta, for residents and tourists who want to commute on ice. You may laugh, but Matt Gibbs has given this a lot of thought—he first proposed the idea two years ago in his masters thesis in landscape architecture at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver.
For his thesis, Gibbs focused on ways “to make winter cities more livable, in particular how can we diversify transportation options, focus on active transportation, as well as social activity.”
The idea for the Freezeway was prompted in part when he found a comment by Tooker Gomberg, who as a city councilor in the 1990s suggested the city crack open the fire hydrants, let the water freeze, and watch residents skate around town. Gibbs’ riff on the idea (which he found “delightful”) is more refined, and presented in a way that seems like something that could actually happen.
The route would use two existing transportation corridors, one of them an abandoned railway line. Linking them would create a loop connecting several neighborhoods to downtown Edmonton and, of course, the arena being built for Oilers hockey. Dare you to think of something more Canadian than ice skating to a hockey game.
It would be available for recreation and commuting.
Matt Gibbs

The Freezeway would look like a big bike lane (and be used by cyclists during the warmer months) covered in ice. To contain the water long enough to have it freeze, you’d have low curbs or strategically placed banks of snow. There are many ways the idea could play out, Gibbs says. You could keep it simple by just turning on the water, letting it freeze, and calling it done. Or you could add lighting, or even a cooling system or artificial ice to allow skating in warmer months. (Hey, if Florida can have a hockey team, Canadians can skate outside in May.) You wouldn’t have to build it all at once. “This design can be developed incrementally, it could ultimately become a transportation network in a city, or just a recreational resource.”
Though one city councilor called the idea the stupidest thing he’s heard in 30 years, Gibbs says, the response has been largely positive. The big concerns are over cost and liability when someone gets hurt. “It would be great to have,” city planner Susan Holdsworth told the Global News. “We are trying to make the most of being a winter city and our northernness and it’s a great way to do it.” That’s exactly what Gibbs is going for. “I wanted to look at the hidden opportunities that exist living in a climate that’s below freezing for more than five months a year,” he says.
The proposal isn’t unprecedented. During the winter freeze, Rideau Canal becomes a 5-mile skating corridor through the heart of Ottawa. The Dutch have been hosting a 120-mile skating race on the country’s canals since 1909. And the wild success of New York City’s Highline, an abandoned elevated railway converted into a park, makes any project in its category more plausible.
Many of your questions will be answered when the proposal is finalized, including where the Freezeway will go and what it will cost. But there’s no doubt it’s a fun idea, a way to make getting outside in the cold appealing, Gibbs says. I’m “trying to find ways to make people fall in love with winter as opposed to as if was some unbearable curse.”

The Not-So-Crazy Plan to Build an Ice-Skating Highway Through Edmonton | WIRED

Yeah, yeah, yeah...Canadian....North....Winter....I get it. But The Freezeway? Please don't call it that.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Despite the name, I like the idea. Might save slip and fall accidents on conventional sidewalks if people could just skate instead.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's similar to that giant trampoline, the longest in the world, that they're building in London.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Despite the name, I like the idea. Might save slip and fall accidents on conventional sidewalks if people could just skate instead.

It would work, works well enough in Ottawa.

But I can just picture myself working in a office where all my co-workers talk about taking The Freezeway to work.....and I picture that getting annoying really quickly. Lol.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
It would work, works well enough in Ottawa.

But I can just picture myself working in a office where all my co-workers talk about taking The Freezeway to work.....and I picture that getting annoying really quickly. Lol.

Nothing jambs up a freezeway like a bunch of useless office pencil pushers, that's true.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Till you hit a grain of sand. or the first Chinook. Then there is the cleaning and resurfacing. He might have better lucj doing cross country ski trails and the invent a wheel that hooks to the back of the skies to zip you along the trails at 30kpm. The electric wheel could also be adapted to summer use.

Did he get the idea off that hockey show that was from Alaska and the creek was glass smooth, man that must have taken a lot of work it get it like that.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Abandoned rail lines in cities would be a great place for a linear ice surface - if the snowmobile people haven't nabbed them

CP and CN own those forever and ever and ever. All railway property is a no go zone. Our sled club tried to use them but we were told to f-ck off.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Of course, they'll all be forced to wear motorcycle helmets and hi-viz jackets whilst skating along it.

Sign of the times...

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Right. Tell it to the Trans Canada Trail

Donated. On the prairie I've seen tenders come up for doing seismic along the linesj. CN and CP will be burning their own oil in a short time. They can build pipelines without any enviro or paying royalties.

They still own coal deposits too.

Those lines are almost private countries when it comes to rights and regs.

Check out the deal made by Sir John A McDickhead. Everything still stands today and into the future.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
All bureaucracies do. If one asks ... and says "please" ... you get answers. Do you know how many abandoned spurs are actually owned by the industry they once served? Costs to maintain a private railroad to CN and CP standards were a driving force in switching to truck

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
All bureaucracies do. If one asks ... and says "please" ... you get answers. Do you know how many abandoned spurs are actually owned by the industry they once served? Costs to maintain a private railroad to CN and CP standards were a driving force in switching to truck

Yup and they even own the strips that cross roads. Who would be liable for skaters bouncing off motor vehicles?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
A more practical idea is constructing a freezeway from Edmonton to Hawaii so residents can skate to escape their short (6 months) of winter.