Province grants approval for tuition hikes, up to 56%

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
During the PC leadership campaign, Premier Jim Prentice said he would not support tuition hikes as high as the U of A’s 56 per cent proposal and suggested the province review and simplify market modifiers to make the process more transparent.

On Monday, the provincial government announced it had approved 25 of 26 applications from Alberta universities and colleges, a decision that will result in a projected $21 million in additional revenue, according to the government.

But Monday’s announcement included provincial government approval of five applications from the University of Alberta, including a 56 per cent hike, from $10,221 to $15,995 a year, to the law faculty.

Kent Hehr, education critic for the Liberal party, said the increases will make a post-secondary education even more untenable for many young adults.

“We have the lowest university participation rate in the country and this will not help,” Hehr said. “The surest way to have a prosperous future is to have a post-secondary degree, and this is made even more difficult when you add market modifiers into the mix.”

more

Province grants approval for controversial tuition hikes, up to 56%, starting next fall | Calgary Herald

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
So if I want good advice go hang around the classroom(s) door and hire the one with the lowest grades? (cheaper and he needs the practice that brings his grades up)
Don't the best (affordable) lawyers come from doing federal time?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Wow. Saying thats a huge jump for one year is an understatement. That might drive students out of the province. Sure they'll probably come back for work. But that will be 2-4 years later depending on the program.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
That's true, does everybody that 'pays' also get to 'play' or do the vast majority get the 'pay' but 'not play'? Oversold just so the ones that do get to play didn't have to pay the full cost as that was picked up by the ones with a tab and no job. I doubt the upper crust wants that disturbed .

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
That's true, does everybody that 'pays' also get to 'play' or do the vast majority get the 'pay' but 'not play'? Oversold just so the ones that do get to play didn't have to pay the full cost as that was picked up by the ones with a tab and no job. I doubt the upper crust wants that disturbed .

Great... Sounds hauntingly like a conspiracy.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Only according to the guy at McDonalds with all the Diplomas on the wall above his cash register.

If the classrooms aren't full why not all 'free drop-ins' for the interested?