Suspect in Calgary poppy box thefts nabbed in Lloydminster

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Suspect in Calgary poppy box thefts nabbed in Lloydminster
Dwayne Soroka, 31, charged with eight counts of theft under $5,000

By Bryan Passifiume, Calgary Sun

First posted: Thursday, November 20, 2014 01:44 PM EST | Updated: Thursday, November 20, 2014 09:40 PM EST
The suspect in a series of brazen Calgary poppy box thefts has been caught near the Saskatchewan border.
Dwayne Soroka, 31, was taken into custody at a cabin southwest of Lloydminster on Wednesday.
While Soroka only faces charges in eight of Calgary’s 18 reported poppy box thefts, police didn’t rule out the possibility of more charges.
Police named Soroka Nov. 10 as their suspect in the poppy box thefts, thanks to tips from the public.
Soroka is well known to authorities, racking up 40 convictions over the past 11 years.
On the run from police after failing to report to a halfway house in Edmonton, his most recent stint in jail ended in 2013 after serving time for break and enter, theft, assault and possession of a stolen credit card.
While delighted to hear about the arrest, Joey Bleviss, chief administrative officer of the Calgary Poppy Fund, said the thefts still leave him angry and concerned.
“The money that was taken, it was taken from the needy veterans who needed it.”
While putting an exact figure on the amount stolen is impossible, Bleviss suspects about $1,000 was lost.
bryan.passifiume@sunmedia.ca
On Twitter: @SUNbryanpass

RELATED:

Police have identified Dwayne Shane Soroka as the suspected in the theft of several poppy fund boxes in Calgary this month. Edmonton Police/Calgary Sun/QMI Agency

Suspect in Calgary poppy box thefts nabbed in Lloydminster | Canada | News | Tor

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Pricks, saw one just the other day, if it was a b&e and they took the till money and the chocolate bars then I might have a bit of respect if they did include any 'loose change'.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Pricks, saw one just the other day, if it was a b&e and they took the till money and the chocolate bars then I might have a bit of respect if they did include any 'loose change'.

You've "lost" me!

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Sorry, tends to happen now and then. If they had stolen the money as part of a break and entry where they cleaned out the till and the chips and candy bars and then took all the change in the donation boxes then I might have a bit of respect, as it stands they are bad people.
There is a longer version if needed.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Sorry, tends to happen now and then. If they had stolen the money as part of a break and entry where they cleaned out the till and the chips and candy bars and then took all the change in the donation boxes then I might have a bit of respect, as it stands they are bad people.
There is a longer version if needed.

Oh, I see, it would have been a little less discriminatory toward the soldiers!