Quickest route south

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
I'm going to be driving from Fort McMurray to Phoenix, Arizona next month and someone mentioned that staying on the secondary highways to the east of Edmonton and Calgary can actually shave some time off the trip to the border. Can anyone comment on this?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
secondary's are the shortest route, but they are not the quickest route.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
I'm thinking of time vs. distance here. The plan is to put in a couple of long days to get down to where things get interesting, then pull back on the throttles a bit and take our time. We'd be happy if we could make Salt Lake City in a couple of days, so the opportunity to make it from Ft. Mac to the border in ten hours instead of twelve has some appeal.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Just drive through side streets and neighborhoods bud. Canada to AZ... all the way.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Arizona. Is that where they pull you over and do those random a n a l cavity searches? Maybe I'm wrong.

Have a safe trip Nick. :smile:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Arizona. Is that where they pull you over and do those random a n a l cavity searches? Maybe I'm wrong.

Have a safe trip Nick. :icon_smile:

Yes but those AZ police are the cops that always cave into...

"Am I being detained?.... Am I free to go?... I refuse to answer these questions... May I travel freely?"

Man if I tried that with the Massachusetts State Police they'd bounce me all up and down Rt. 95.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Quickest route south is to post a death threat against POTUS on the white-house website. You will be across the border in hours and the best part is it will save you a ton of gas money. ;-)

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Beat feet down to the middle of Colorado, then slow down and go southeast through southern Utah and northern New Mexico, then cut west to AZ and the Canyon.

Pretty country.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
There's lots to see in the Four Corners/Navajo Nation area, that's where we'll be taking it at a more casual pace. At this point I'm wondering about the best route on the Canadian side of the border. Ft. Mac/Edmonton/Calgary/Lethbridge vs. Lac la Biche and south along the Veterans Memorial Highway through Brooks and Taber.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Quickest route south is to post a death threat against POTUS on the white-house website. You will be across the border in hours and the best part is it will save you a ton of gas money. ;-)

I dunno. If they do that then they have to deal with all those pesky laws like habeas corpus. Seems more efficient to ship you to some black site in on an island nobody has ever heard of and "freedom tickle" you until they get all the information that they need.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I dunno. If they do that then they have to deal with all those pesky laws like habeas corpus. Seems more efficient to ship you to some black site in on an island nobody has ever heard of and "freedom tickle" you until they get all the information that they need.

Habeas Corpus doesn't apply to enemy combatants....or terrorists....or US citizens....or, well, anyone anymore. Don't you just love that anti-terrorism legislation!

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Cool. On that link JLM, if you replace "Phoenix" with "Coutts Alberta" which is right on the border, the route that comes up is the Veterans Memorial Highway.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Jump on the QEII at Edmonton and put it on cruise until you hit the Montana border. You might want to stop at that point or they will gun you down, the QEII is 110 so set it at 113, set it at 115 and you will get pulled over.

The secondary roads have people (like me) that just assume nobody will be on the road so no need to slow down at the level crossings. That could delay your trip even longer than a speeding ticket. We no longer throw out beer bottles at road signs, they might bounce back and hit your vehicle. The secondary roads also have a nasty habit of just ending in a ditch if somebody stole the sign that is a rec-room somewhere doubling as a dartboard for beer bottles.

If you are really fast go through GP and the Hamlet of Grovedale and wait at the first right turn. Sooner or later somebody will come along and put up a sign that says 'SECONDARY 666' or take a really clear of any Secondary sign and when you print it change the numbers. That is the best way to get the wild rose in the pic, bullet holes are optional. Seeing them is actually a good thing, you know the scopes are sighted in. No holes opens up the chance of getting tagged by a stray. Anyway, once you get the sign back out, if you go any further you end up in the wilderness. Cars fall apart and everything else travels in two or threes. The children up front, then the workers and the elderly ride in the dust and they fall that just slows the predators down for a little while.

Or you can make up your own story from scratch, it used to be 24hrs to Vegas from the border. After 20 miles any scenery gets a bit boring, even lavaland. Watching hay grows lets you tell real whoppers if I recall

From one location you can see the natural curve of the earth so pack a big lunch if you are walking.

What's up in the US or are you going further?

Unless you are a great white hunter you are in the patch in some capacity.

I forget the distances from there, I was on the paving crew the first time the road from town and spent most of the summer there. We shut down at 3PM on Friday because the camps were let out and they came down the road 8 side by side.

Civilization takes on the appearance of bare bush, bush with fences, fences with fields, fields without fences and lat of all, an overpass. Welcome to electricity.

I was going to say take a book but today you need an reliable vehicle and an inverter and an internet hub that can handle 32 wi-fi's. The phone is actually a landline so you can send and revieve faxes and any answering machine works. Best of all you can break 10 handsets a day and it costs about $29.87 CND

Weird isn't it?
The crossing below Milk River used to be a hotspot before the bars were open on Sunday. 27 bars and a population of 53 people and 11teen critters. They thought we gambled a little too much and we though a double cheeze burger was a meal for a week, in the winter.
, summer too come to think of it. Our hosts weren't all that pleased about our liking to Mexican trumpet music, it was the alamo type of chanting but since we always had lots of drunk girls alone they didn't mind.

Going through the 'outpost south of taber was the one you used if you spent the weekend in the closest town and parked and got a room over the bar for the weekend at least and after 2 weeks they refused to rent, you had to become a resident. Joining Montana would be a gas, joining the whole US, .... not so much. Republic of Monbertana, (insert slogan here) A crash doesn't have to be a fall off a buffalo jump, a trip to the forest can be just as bad, 10 days later not being said for obvious reasons. North America could have worked if not for the FED slowing things down and then the farmers went on strike instead of growing their garden until the land owners needed the land again. Coal miners in the US and GB went through the same culling. All the ones in the company towns (slaves with no holes in their pockets) that got too smart had accidents in the mine if he didn't go to the bars on the monthly payday) Sitting in an Igloo for long spells teaches your body to survive quite nicely on one meal a day as long as you keep the mind occupied over 18 hours a day.

Being of German someplace long ago the language and customs were left at the 'door' I actually felt embarrassed for that Nation when 'the boss' said people in India were the problem, they wanted more than 1 meal a day after they landed jobs. The rude part is she winced when Bush touched her shoulder at some gathering. Germany, a place that is good to say you are from someplace long ago. Shall I go on?

Last edited: