Newbie move to Edmonton from...Quebec city

maximillian

Feb 18, 2014
Hi everyone,

I am planning to move to Edmonton from Quebec city. Of course the first issue is work. Nonetheless I have already found a room very next to the core city centre.
Also my question is : how difficult is it to find a job in Edmonton?
Basically I have just finished my master degree in Quebec. I am thinking of working in community development, social work , ngos.. (I have majored in international development). That's where i fear a bit for my move.
People say Alberta is an oil place. So everything should be related to oil. (even if that's a cliché , i think it should partly be true).
So i am asking. May be i won't work in my field in the beginning.
However how realistic is finding a job (in other field related or not)? let's say in everything that should pay off...
And finally, the last but not the least. I was an international student in Quebec (i get now my work permit). Would it be an obstacle there for the job hunt? Because really ,it is the main reason of my move. People here in Quebec are not that open-minded regarding foreigners skills.

Thanks for your help

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Make sure your passport and papers are in order when travelling from province to province.
Usually, when you leave Que. it's only necessary to get the passport stamped once by the RCMP or the OPP. Then, you're good to go.
You have the blue card ? In the States it's a green card. Up here - blue.
Best wishes.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Make sure your passport and papers are in order when travelling from province to province.
Usually, when you leave Que. it's only necessary to get the passport stamped once by the RCMP or the OPP. Then, you're good to go.
Best wishes.

Nuggler! That is just mean! Lol.

maximillian

Feb 18, 2014
Best wishes.

Thanks for replying guys! I will keep the crack spot in mind.
But I wanted to know how the job market is behaving there. How kind are people? Does an non-oil guy surviving?
And also for the RCMP stamp, it seems not necessary anymore. As long as my Work permit is open, if I am not mistaken?
Cheers

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
On the upside, it's not bad crack.

You ought to check out the employment websites like Monster and Workopolis.

As far as work goes, there is a big oil & gas industry that spans across a variety of sectors, but not all is exclusively oil & gas related

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Thanks for replying guys! I will keep the crack spot in mind.
But I wanted to know how the job market is behaving there. How kind are people? Does an non-oil guy surviving?
And also for the RCMP stamp, it seems not necessary anymore. As long as my Work permit is open, if I am not mistaken?
Cheers

just messin with ya. good luck. welcome to CC.