Calgary woman suing Safeway for over $1 million after being knocked out by door

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
By Kevin Martin ,Calgary Sun
First posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 08:14 PM EST | Updated: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 09:03 PM EST
Claiming she was knocked out by a grocery store door, a Calgary woman is seeking in excess of $1 million in damages.
A statement of claim filed on behalf of Carol Rontynen says she was injured Jan. 14, 2012, while exiting a Shawville Blvd. S.W. Safeway store.
The document, a copy of which was obtained Wednesday by the Sun, says Rontynen was leaving the store “when the doors struck (her) in the head on two occasions.”
The incident caused Rontynen multiple injuries and required her to get a CT scan at Rockyview hospital, it says.
“She was knocked to the floor and was rendered unconscious, thereby causing serious personal injuries,” the claim states.
She suffered a closed head injury along with other wounds, including multiple contusions, abrasions and lacerations to the head and a spinal injury.
The claim says Rontynen was out cold “for an undetermined period of time.”
The woman continues to experience symptoms from the incident including dizziness, ringing in the ears and sleep disruption along with pain and stiffness to her entire spine.
Among the damages sought is $300,000 for prospective loss of income and another $350,000 future cost of care.
The lawsuit also seeks damages for the province for past and future health care services of an estimated $50,000.
It says Safeway was negligent in not ensuring the doors were properly inspected and maintained and for “failing to ensure customers could enter and exit the ... premises in safety.”
A statement of defence to the unproven allegations has not been filed.
kevin.martin@sunmedia.ca
On Twitter: @SUNKevinMartin
Shawville Blvd. S.W. Safeway store. File photo

Calgary woman suing Safeway for over $1 million after being knocked out by door | Weird | News | Toronto Sun

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
By Kevin Martin ,Calgary Sun
First posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 08:14 PM EST | Updated: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 09:03 PM EST
Claiming she was knocked out by a grocery store door, a Calgary woman is seeking in excess of $1 million in damages.
A statement of claim filed on behalf of Carol Rontynen says she was injured Jan. 14, 2012, while exiting a Shawville Blvd. S.W. Safeway store.

I guess this stuff is just typical of the age we live in!

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I wonder if she tried to leave a door that was marked as "not in use". On more than one occasion, I've seen a sign saying "Please use other door", yet people are too engrossed in their cellphone screen to bother looking up to see it. Could this be the same thing?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
During my first year working during tax season I was so overwhelmed the only places I went were work, home and the grocery store next door on the way home. For weeks it was like that. Almost in a daze. I became so used to the door opening automatically for me that the one time I attempted to go into a different store I nearly walked right into the door, lol.

Dammit, I coulda been a millionaire!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I wonder if she tried to leave a door that was marked as "not in use". On more than one occasion, I've seen a sign saying "Please use other door", yet people are too engrossed in their cellphone screen to bother looking up to see it. Could this be the same thing?

Probably!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I've seen motorized doors malfunction. It's a piece of machinery like any other. If a business doesn't maintain it, they could be found negligent and responsible for injury.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The woman is actually brain damaged. Safeway has likely got a lot more money than she has (and if not she doesn't need any more money anyway) If they let that go they'll be getting sued every week over someone's stupidity. (Someone in the Starbuck's section will spill hot coffee on themself)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Or, the court will toss out frivolous cases, as Canadian courts often do, and Safeway will be sued only over cases where they were actually negligent.

Think for a minute that you're actually saying the doors malfunctioned so badly that she's brain damaged. That's a big deal, not a spilled coffee.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Upon rereading the article, I'd concede her injuries are fairly serious and I would also concede in the right circumstances she could deserve a $million, BUT, this same incident happened twice !!! It happened on Jan. 14 so I find it hard to imagine the extent of her injuries have been determined already. Depending on what her occupation is she'd have to be off work for any where from 10-30 years.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Upon rereading the article, I'd concede her injuries are fairly serious and I would also concede in the right circumstances she could deserve a $million, BUT, this same incident happened twice !!! It happened on Jan. 14 so I find it hard to imagine the extent of her injuries have been determined already. Depending on what her occupation is she'd have to be off work for any where from 10-30 years.

This same incident happened twice? Or she was hit twice? Once, which knocked her unconscious, and again, after she'd fallen to the floor in a heap?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
This same incident happened twice? Or she was hit twice? Once, which knocked her unconscious, and again, after she'd fallen to the floor in a heap?

From what I can tell of the article, they happened during the same incident.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Oh maybe.

It did say "on two occasions" so I'd conclude it happened previous to this incident.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I know Canada is fairly 'anti-litigation'. We have medical coverage, so our insurance companies don't have to sue, etc., but there are cases where it is, actually fitting. I don't know everything about this case, and the truth of her claims, but, on the face of it, this is outside the norm and not one I'd begrudge taking to court.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Wouldn't "two occasions" indicate two incidents?

Not necessarily. The first one could occur when she got hit with the door, and the second could have occurred when she was on the ground. If the door was malfunctioning it could have hit her head once more before someone was able to get her out of the way.

Yep, there's always that angle- stupid old me expecting it to be portrayed exactly as written! -:)

Good night folks, nice bickering with you!

Good night, JLM.